UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HarryFarnsbarns One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 78680  
Subject: Worcester Bosch Hot Water too Hot! Date: 13/06/2010 08:50
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i condensing boiler in one of my properties. The tenant has a problem with hot water temperature being too hot. Tenant and I are both understandably concerned as with little children around, the risk of scalding is too horrible to contemplate. The boiler has a control for reducing temp of CH water but no obvious way of reducing temp. of domestic hot water.
Anyone any ideas please.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: IsleofWightPete Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63359 of 78680
Subject: Re: Worcester Bosch Hot Water too Hot! Date: 13/06/2010 11:21
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i condensing boiler in one of my properties

Is this a system or combi boiler?

If it is a system boiler you need to adjust the thermostat on the hot water cylinder.

If it is a combi, I would expect there to be a control on the boiler itself.

Author: HarryFarnsbarns One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63362 of 78680
Subject: Re: Worcester Bosch Hot Water too Hot! Date: 13/06/2010 15:51
It's definitely a combi without cylinder. I've just scoured the installation manual and it says that the domestic hot water temp. is fixed at 55C. There is no means of altering this. The only thing I can think is that the temperature sensor is not functioning correctly.

Author: juggler100 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63368 of 78680
Subject: Re: Worcester Bosch Hot Water too Hot! Date: 14/06/2010 11:24
55 C is still hot enough to scald, whether the sensor is working correctly or not. Thermostatic mixer showers and taps are usually limited to around 38 by default.

Author: Mike4 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63370 of 78680
Subject: Re: Worcester Bosch Hot Water too Hot! Date: 14/06/2010 18:05
Recommendations: 1
If it is a combi, I would expect there to be a control on the boiler itself.

The 24i IS a combi, and for a while it was absolutely the cheapest combi money could possibly buy, often beating the penny-pinching Ravenheats and Halsteads out there by a good ten quid. Every expense was spared in it's design and manufacture, and leaving out the HW temperature control helped shave that ten quid from the price.

Never mind though, the 24i is fiendishly susceptible to water scale, having a low cost 'combined' heat exchanger. Once the scale problem kicks in the hot water temperature will fall, eventually be replaced with you posting saying the hot water is now too cold ;-)

Why people say Worcesters are good is beyond me....

Cheers!
M4

Author: JonEBehr Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63371 of 78680
Subject: Re: Worcester Bosch Hot Water too Hot! Date: 14/06/2010 18:37
Why people say Worcesters are good is beyond me....

The oilers had a good reputation not too many years back. Is that now also lost/compromised?

Cheers!

Author: HarryFarnsbarns One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63375 of 78680
Subject: Re: Worcester Bosch Hot Water too Hot! Date: 15/06/2010 09:36
thank you all for replies, at least I now know there is nothing to be done and to steer clear of Worcesters in future. I have in fact started to have Vaillants installed in my props. when a replacement is required; I seem to recall Mike4 that you recommended these a while back, as indeed have other engineers in my own neck of the woods.

Author: loir Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63376 of 78680
Subject: Re: Worcester Bosch Hot Water too Hot! Date: 15/06/2010 10:22
As you probably know there is a plumbing solution, a TMV.

Eg http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/thermostatic-mixing-valves-336-2...

It will make it safe. But is a hassle to install.

Loir

Author: dtc100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63379 of 78680
Subject: Re: Worcester Bosch Hot Water too Hot! Date: 15/06/2010 11:30
Part G now requires a TMV to be fitted to baths in new builds.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/100312_app_doc_G...

The part of G3 that applies to TMV’s is Section G3 (4).

Requirement G3 (4) applies only when a dwelling is-
(a) erected;
(b) formed by a material change of use ----------

Strictly speaking a replacement bath does not need a TMV but if one was not fitted and a child was scalded I would not like to defend the case as the building regs clearly shown that no TMV means danger.

Martin

Author: Mike4 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63386 of 78680
Subject: Re: Worcester Bosch Hot Water too Hot! Date: 15/06/2010 22:01
I seem to recall Mike4 that you recommended these a while back,

How dare you sir. Do you have a link?

I've certainly maintained that Worcester's 'reputation' is the result of expert marketing puff not technical excellence since I first became a boiler bod, and I've NEVER recommended a combi of any sort to anyone.

Cheers!
M4

Author: Mike4 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63387 of 78680
Subject: Re: Worcester Bosch Hot Water too Hot! Date: 15/06/2010 22:11
The oilers had a good reputation not too many years back. Is that now also lost/compromised?

Don't know really.

I've little experience of oily boilers and I relinquished my OFTEC registration a couple of years ago as I rarely got asked to work on them. I fixed one or two Worcester floor standing oil-fired storage combis but didn't hold them in particularly high regard.

Old vanilla oil boilers of any brand are pretty much the same (being a water tank with a pressure jet oil burner stuck underneath), but when condensing combis came along the whole game changed. I only ever worked on about three condensing oil boilers. All were horrible to dismantle and a pig to clean.

Cheers!
M4

Author: HarryFarnsbarns One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63419 of 78680
Subject: Re: Worcester Bosch Hot Water too Hot! Date: 18/06/2010 20:27
How dare you sir. Do you have a link?

I've certainly maintained that Worcester's 'reputation' is the result of expert marketing puff not technical excellence since I first became a boiler bod, and I've NEVER recommended a combi of any sort to anyone.

Well I'm so sorry professor, I'll go back to being a numpty no nothing!

Cheers!

HF

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread