UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TheAlmightyOne Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 390458  
Subject: When did GCSE qualifications begin? Date: 20/10/2008 11:20
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The question is in the title.

I have just realised I don't have two certificates for exams I did at evening classes in 1987. I did O Levels at school in 1985 and think that was their final year, but am unsure.

TIA
Print the post Back To Top
Author: expatspouse Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 268983 of 390458
Subject: Re: When did GCSE qualifications begin? Date: 20/10/2008 11:37
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
According to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCSE

'GCSEs were introduced for teaching in September 1986, and replaced both the GCE O-level (General Certificate of Education, Ordinary Level) and the GCE CSE (Certificate of Secondary Education) qualifications, which suffered problems due to the two-tier nature of the system. Grade C of the GCSE was set at equivalent to O-Level Grade C and CSE Grade 1. Thus the final students to sit the former O-Level/CSE examinations were those of May–June 1987 and the subsequent retakes in September 1987.'

Author: TheAlmightyOne Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 268984 of 390458
Subject: Re: When did GCSE qualifications begin? Date: 20/10/2008 11:47
Doh! I never thought to check Wikipedia. All my searches simply yielded lists of current courses.

That means having completed the evening classes in 1988, I would have been taking GCSEs.

Thanks expatspouse.

Author: PetraM Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 268986 of 390458
Subject: Re: When did GCSE qualifications begin? Date: 20/10/2008 11:50
Recommendations: 1
There were also pilot schemes run before the introduction of the GSCE.

One was the "16+" which was piloted by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate from the late 1970s which involved taking a single exam and issuing both a GCE and CSE certificate according to the result.

PetraM

Author: Jamiered Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 268995 of 390458
Subject: Re: When did GCSE qualifications begin? Date: 20/10/2008 14:08
Thus the final students to sit the former O-Level/CSE examinations were those of May–June 1987 and the subsequent retakes in September 1987.'

I was in the Class of '87 and thus the last to take O-Levels.

However, some of the subjects I did (eg Maths and Geography) were actually pilots for the GCSEs that were actually to start for the school year that started in 86 and were scheduled to take their exams in 88.

These two subjects included 'Assesment units' where we were tested during the two years on various topics and issues. Indeed, by the time of the Final Examination in June 87, I had already completed 40% of the actual exam itself, and in my case knew that I had already acheived about a 30% total score.

All the other subjects I did were completed in the 'traditional' method, of all being dependant on your Final Exam to get your overall mark

Jamiered

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread