UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LuckyPaddy One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 392928  
Subject: Whay is the bottom of my fridge full of water? Date: 06/09/2010 12:04
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We have a 5ft Frigidaire 'fridge only' appliance in the kitchen. The bottom of the fridge, under the veg box becomes very wet. It builds up to such an extent that unless regularly 'dried' it will leak onto the floor.

Temperature is set at 3 and the unit is usually 60/70% full with the usual mixture of drinks, milk, yoghurts cold meats, cheese, veg, eggs and jars. (I know some of these items are not recommended for fridge storage, but it's the wifes' preference)

Any suggestions or ideas welcomed.

Thx in advance.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Swill453 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 317583 of 392928
Subject: Re: Whay is the bottom of my fridge full of wate Date: 06/09/2010 12:13
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
The drain hole at the back of your fridge is blocked. There could be a plastic thingy next to it to poke into it.

Scott.

Author: MrMiggins Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 317584 of 392928
Subject: Re: Whay is the bottom of my fridge full of wate Date: 06/09/2010 12:18
I would second that - we had exactly the same thing and it was a blocked drain hole.

Author: SlugPizza Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 317587 of 392928
Subject: Re: Whay is the bottom of my fridge full of wate Date: 06/09/2010 12:54
Recommendations: 2
You need to find an old fashioned tobacconists shop, buy a bag of pipe cleaners, carefully wrap one to another to create a supper long one three feet should do it, then poke down the drain hole at the back of the fridge. The hole gets gunged up with slime and mould (nice!) and no longer drains away the condensate water that formed in the fridge. Twist and pull in/out the super pipe cleaner will clear the blockage.

If you are keen...

Pull the fridge out and inspect the motor/pump at the bottom. On top of the pump will be a small shallow metal dish. This is the evaporator, in normal operation condensate water drips down the pipe from inside the fridge to this dish, then the heat from the pump causes the water drips to evaporate into the room. Other fridges may have a plastic trough, but again mounted above the pump to allow the water to evaporate over time.

HTH

Author: IsleofWightPete Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 317589 of 392928
Subject: Re: Whay is the bottom of my fridge full of wate Date: 06/09/2010 12:59
Recommendations: 2
You need to find an old fashioned tobacconists shop, buy a bag of pipe cleaners, carefully wrap one to another to create a supper long one three feet should do it, then poke down the drain hole at the back of the fridge.

...........or use a length of the plastic covered "sprung wire" normally used to hang net curtains. Just the right combination of thickness, rigidity / flexibility to do a perfect job!

Author: LuckyPaddy One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 317607 of 392928
Subject: Re: Whay is the bottom of my fridge full of wate Date: 06/09/2010 16:21
Job Done,

THX everyone

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread