No. of Recommendations: 8
What a very interesting thread, particularly wils and darwin's input. I have quite a bit in common with both. I have taken art in sport all my life, but seem to have avoided the necessity to run until the last five years or so. At school, I was a county level high jumper, and did a bit of long jumping, but the 22 step run up was a bit too much really.

I took up running at the age of about 55, after losing all the 25kg I had gained during 25 years of marriage - and found that I really enjoyed it. I did a couple of organised half marathons as well as running a few on my own, getting down (just) below 1h45. A small episode of cancer and a rather longer lay off with an Achilles tendon problem slowed me down a bit, but I am now back in the groove. A week ago I ran the Coniston 14, which is a 14 mile run round the lake, and this Sunday, I am doing the Reading Half Marathon, but really I like it best getting out on my own and setting my own pace.

The technology available is great, and I love the statistics and seeing progress (positive and negative). I bought a second hand Garmin off ebay, which is great, but these days all you need is a smart phone and Strava or similar.

I am now 61, but after Coniston, I can see that there is at least another 14 years in me yet. Where once life began at 40, I think it has move past 50, and really begins at 60.

Cheers, Rob
Print the post  

Announcements

The Fitness FAQ
A quick introduction to this board, and to getting fitter.
Closure of the UK Discussion Boards
The UK Discussion Boards are now closed to new posts.