UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: catra1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 390489  
Subject: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 03/08/2005 11:50
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I want to know if you can find out who an unknown caller is my mobile phone displays "caller unknown" I am with orange PAYG.
Someone- I am sure it is the same person keeps calling me in the early hours of the morning 1am-6am. I never get marketting/prze winning type calls and have had my mobile number for years.Out of the 15 or so people who have my mobile number I am at a loss to know who would call me at this time. They never leave a message. I dont want to answer my phone at this time in the morning.
any advice :) ??
Print the post Back To Top
Author: EnB76 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155474 of 390489
Subject: Re: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 03/08/2005 12:01
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I think all you can do is ignore it - I've tried to block anything that says caller unknown but on my phone you only seem to be able to block the calls you have a number for.

Author: QuiteUnusual Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155475 of 390489
Subject: Re: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 03/08/2005 12:05
I have two Orange contract phones - mine and my wife's. They both ring twice, on occasion, a minute apart between 1:00 and 6:00. I assumed it was some sort of marketing company trying to find active numbers. If I answer, the caller "hangs up" straight away. I've had the contract and the numbers since 1995 and I have never given the number to any company. The problem started about 4 months ago. Maybe you should call Orange and ask what is happening? Think I will.

Author: ngaunt Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155478 of 390489
Subject: Re: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 03/08/2005 12:30
"caller unknown" doesn't mean it can't be traced.
It generally comes from call centres who are using bulk ISDN lines. These particular lines actually have no number allocated to them so they can't show callerID and can't receive incoming calls.

If this is a nuisance, report it first to the phone company, and if they won't do anything then to the police and/or Ofcom. They CAN trace these calls, very easily. And they should be able to stop them. Though it's unlikely they will ever tell you the culprit.

ATB
Nige

Author: martint123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155483 of 390489
Subject: Re: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 03/08/2005 13:01
Recommendations: 2
Certainly call your network supplier, they should have a department to handle complaints about nuisance calls. An old dear further down the road started getting them around 0200, complained and teh supplier started logging calls to that number AFAIK originators number is always to networks operators. Turned out to be an automated system to read a shop till for restocking purposes.

Martin

Author: Thowra One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155495 of 390489
Subject: Re: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 03/08/2005 15:38
I have two Orange contract phones - mine and my wife's. They both ring twice, on occasion, a minute apart between 1:00 and 6:00. I assumed it was some sort of marketing company trying to find active numbers. If I answer, the caller "hangs up" straight away. I've had the contract and the numbers since 1995 and I have never given the number to any company. The problem started about 4 months ago.

And me! I have a contract phone with Orange and have had exactly the same problem in the last few months. I'd be interested to hear their explanation. I'll post if I get anywhere.

Thowra

Author: PEPPERMINTPIG Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155516 of 390489
Subject: Re: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 03/08/2005 20:02
Recommendations: 3
Why don't you switch the phone off when you don't wish to be disturbed?

Author: QuiteUnusual Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155519 of 390489
Subject: Re: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 03/08/2005 20:42
Why don't you switch the phone off when you don't wish to be disturbed?

I don't mind being disturbed to answer an emergency (which in my job, that's what the call might be). I do mind being called by an automated system every night for no reason.

Author: fondantfancies Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155591 of 390489
Subject: Re: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 04/08/2005 14:56
How do you know someone is calling at this time?

Best to switch the phone off, and if no message is left by an unknown caller check that the time on your phone is correct.

Better stil invest in an automatic call back function, which calls back all callers who hang up first and sends a text message asking them not to call back again.

Author: Slarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155647 of 390489
Subject: Re: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 04/08/2005 21:52
Better stil invest in an automatic call back function, which calls back all callers who hang up first and sends a text message asking them not to call back again

And with number unknown it would do this, how?

Slarti

Author: fondantfancies Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155833 of 390489
Subject: Re: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 06/08/2005 11:52
The mobile phone company knows the number, it is just you who does not know!

Author: WowThatsGreat Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155834 of 390489
Subject: Re: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 06/08/2005 12:55
Certainly call your network supplier, they should have a department to handle complaints about nuisance calls

They do. I've had experience with Orange's, and they're useless. I've had two occurances of nuisance calls, one was a salesman who took offence to the fact that I told him where to go in anglo-saxon, and the other was a wierdo. In both cases Orange wouldn't help, told me to go to the police. They wouldn't tell me anything about the calls (not the number, I wouldn't expect that, but the times so that I could confirm them with the police). Their most helpful comment was "you can change your number". One that I've had for over ten years. Great.

So don't expect too much.

Author: mjbdreamer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 157259 of 390489
Subject: Re: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 17/08/2005 09:00
and sending a text to a desk in India is going to help matters?

Author: maydeanna Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 265486 of 390489
Subject: Re: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 05/09/2008 15:21
i have been getting the same and i have to be up at 6 to go to school i only just got this simcard and its driving me crazy

Author: Slarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 265487 of 390489
Subject: Re: unknown caller on mobile phone Date: 05/09/2008 15:24
i have been getting the same and i have to be up at 6 to go to school i only just got this simcard and its driving me crazy

Two things, sign your mobile up to TPS http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ and turn your phone off at night.

If it is important they will phone on your land line.

Slarti

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread