UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MrsRonnie Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 389133  
Subject: Trim on shed roof join Date: 11/03/2013 12:10
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I don't think I've asked this before, although it has been bugging me for years. On the two ends of most sheds, where the two parts of the rooftop meet, there is a diamond-shaped piece of wood slapped on the front. An example is here:

http://www.waltons.co.uk/Images/Dynamic/Cache/Products/946-6...

Is there some functional point to this piece of wood?

TIA

Ronnie
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Arizona11 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367000 of 389133
Subject: Re: Trim on shed roof join Date: 11/03/2013 12:30
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Yes I have seen similar question before and I seem to remember the answer being "to keep the devil away" (difficult to sit on the points) or somesuch other nonsense.

Author: foolsstop Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367001 of 389133
Subject: Re: Trim on shed roof join Date: 11/03/2013 12:52
Recommendations: 3
probably partialty decorative(the shape).

It is quite hard to get the joint closed on prefaricated parts.
An end piece protects/clamps the ends of the end runners to the shed(you can't nail that close to the ends of the battons.

Author: Swill453 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367005 of 389133
Subject: Re: Trim on shed roof join Date: 11/03/2013 13:27
An end piece protects/clamps the ends of the end runners to the shed(you can't nail that close to the ends of the battons.

So I guess you want something wide enough, but also with a pointed top profile, as a flat surface would be damaged by standing water.

Making it horizontally symmetrical maybe just for styling/effect?

Scott.

Author: harold9 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367010 of 389133
Subject: Re: Trim on shed roof join Date: 11/03/2013 14:13
Recommendations: 1
Decoration finial. Just looks better.

Author: tru2me Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367011 of 389133
Subject: Re: Trim on shed roof join Date: 11/03/2013 14:15
It is quite hard to get the joint closed on prefaricated parts.

Or the diamond shaped piece holds the weatherboards on to the edge of the roof, also covering up where the weather boards meet.
Which are difficult to cut to the correct angle as you can see where these weatherboards meet is not a right angle.
Allows pins or nails to drive into the middle of the ridge timber or highest point of the roof under the felt or covering.
Diamond point, apart from keeping the devil away, is there so rainwater cannot sit on a flat and rot the wood.

Rob

Author: stompa Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367024 of 389133
Subject: Re: Trim on shed roof join Date: 11/03/2013 18:15
I'm not sure I see the point of this one...

http://www.homebase.co.uk/wcsstore/homebase/en_GB/images/Hel...

though maybe there's a join underneath it?

Stompa

Author: Kiloran Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367027 of 389133
Subject: Re: Trim on shed roof join Date: 11/03/2013 19:36
Recommendations: 7
Yes I have seen similar question before and I seem to remember the answer being "to keep the devil away" (difficult to sit on the points) or somesuch other nonsense.

Don't knock it, it really works. Haven't ever seen the devil on my sheds.
It's also multipurpose... keeps elephants, aardvaarks and all manner of other creatures off my shed.

--kiloran

Author: TheCurryMonster Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367050 of 389133
Subject: Re: Trim on shed roof join Date: 12/03/2013 14:18
Recommendations: 3
I think the purpose is just to cover any gap between the two parts and it also gives a decorative effect.

I think the reason for the diamond shape is simple - once the saw is set-up to cut the mitre for the two parts it's quick and easy to slice a diamond off the same piece of wood at the same angle without adjusting the saw.
It's basically just an off-cut (or probably was traditionally and the design just stuck).

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread