No. of Recommendations: 3
I am usually a very sceptical person when it comes to any kind of self-help technique promising to 'change your life', but I've just been introduced to this particular little book which proved to be a very inspiring read.

It's called "The life-changing magic of tidying" by Marie Kondo. "A simple, effective way to banish clutter forever". It has sold millions of copies and been a NY Times #1 bestseller (whatever that actually means - see, I said I was a sceptic).

The author is a Japanese woman expert declutterer and professional cleaner. She describes her technique as the "KonMari method", a play on her name.

This is the book:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Changing-Magic-Tidying-Declut...

Now my first reaction when faced with any book about decluttering is to NOT buy it and make things worse, so I took the sensible route and ordered it via my local library instead. It arrived very quickly and I read it straight away. It's actually a quick and compelling read with quite a bit of humour in it, much of which is unintentional :-)

I won't provide a full synopsis here, but here is a link to a fair review:
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/05/an-econo...

The number of concepts and principles in the KonMari method is really very small, but they are a bit different from the usual approach. Two stand out, and for each of them she explains their rationale in a persuasive manner:

- The 'do a little tidying every day' way does not work and is doomed to fail. It should all be done as one big project, and you'll never need to do it again.
- The key starting point is NOT to 'tidy' and NOT to organise sensible storage but to DISCARD everything - EVERYthing - unless it 'brings you joy' or is truly essential.
- The ORDER in which you tidy is crucial.

Then there are a number of specific tips to help you on your way.

So - a thumbs up from me! My first job was to go to the supermarket and buy a supply of bin bags!!

Now for the hard part...
Print the post  

Announcements

Closure of the UK Discussion Boards
The UK Discussion Boards are now closed to new posts.