No. of Recommendations: 0
I used to really enjoy Singha beer with a meal at my local Thai restaurant. It was a very full flavoured pokey beer which complimented the spicey food perfectly.

What a disappointment it was when I drank some to find it had lost its flavour. It tasted like any other of the common lagers. I questioned the waiter as to whether it was indeed Singha. He brought me the bottle. It was Singha alright but when I examined it more closely I noticed its alcohol content had been reduced from 6% to 5%. It had killed it stone dead. Why on earth would they do this?

I emailed the company (twice) to find out but received no response.

Did they think no-one would notice? Prats.

Leo
Print the post Back To Top
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singha_Beer

Beginning in September 2007, a 5.0% (abv) version of Singha Lager has replaced the 6.0% (abv) original version that has earned the Singha name its reputation. This new version, while still brewed in Thailand by Pathmthani Brewery Co., Ltd., proclaims on its labelling to have been brewed under the supervision of Singha Corporation Co., Ltd. instead of Boon Rawd Brewery Co. Ltd.

Oh dear.

Can't say I was a regular drinker but it's a shame they have dumbed down the beer. It's a "commercial" decision for sure that will I suspect ultimately ruin the beers reputation and make them less money not more.

GO
Not trying to infer that this is in the same league and I know that this board is for real beers etc. but I thought I'd mention that Interbrew have reduced Stella Artois from 5.2% to 5% in what I can only imagine is pressure to reduce binge drinking anti social behaviour etc.

I've noticed it on the cans, is this the case with draught too?
Reading Wiki it looks like it may be an across the board cut.

There does seem to be a trend across the industry to lowering ABV. And I reckon this largely for health reasons. Nothing wrong with that per se. Lower ABV beers can be very tasty and characterful. Though I doubt Singha and Stella are maintaining their standard on that score.

In Belgium of course where Stella is just a run of the mill beer and not seen as premium they have lot's of strong beers. Many of which are served in 330ml quantities. That is what should happen with strong British ales too IMO. You wanted drink half a pint of wine would you?

I've known a number of pubs to only sell high ABV's in half's which is commendable. But we should thirds aswell.

GO
There does seem to be a trend across the industry to lowering ABV. And I reckon this largely for health reasons. Nothing wrong with that per se. Lower ABV beers can be very tasty and characterful. Though I doubt Singha and Stella are maintaining their standard on that score.

Funny that the very opposite seems to have happened in the wine industry. Reds of 14.5 % are not uncommon.

Lager, IME, only has flavour when it is strong. This is not so with ale, where there are dozens of good beers under 4%.

Leo