UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HGfool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 77675  
Subject: Tarmac or asphalt for domestic drive ? Date: 15/09/2010 21:46
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anyone here have a view as to which is best?

We're getting quotes for the resurfacing of our drive (which is currently tarmaced -but surface is poor - it is probably close to 50 years old, and was damaged by heavy vehicles/ equipment when we had house underpinning done 15 years ago - they patched it with conrete!).

One supplier recommends 25mm thickness of 6mm Stone Mastic Asphalt, rather than same thickness of 6mm dense surface course macadam (but he quoted for both). Says asphalt is less likely to deform in hot weather under the weight of vehicles.

The second I suspect quoted for the asphalt option (as well as macadam) just because I mentioned the first supplier's comment.

A third visited today, and rubbished the need for asphalt - said never uses it and 6mm macadam will not deform or wear in a domestic drive within a 15 year life.

The first 2 quotes are approx £350 more expensive for asphalt. For that difference I would go for asphalt if it is indeed better. But is it?

Many thanks for any insight / experience on this (or any tips on how to select best supplier!)

Cheers
HGF
Print the post Back To Top
Author: fourtwentyfour Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64567 of 77675
Subject: Re: Tarmac or asphalt for domestic drive ? Date: 15/09/2010 22:14
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Well, I have to admit to not knowing the difference between the two materials.

However, I had a drive laid with one* of them, and the material was course, because the finer stuff wasn't available that day. It was a mistake, as the gaps fill up with soil like stuff that allows moss to grow.

I have noticed that the finer surfaces stay moss-free.

It arrived hot and was rolled, if that is helpful?

Author: twotwo22 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64569 of 77675
Subject: Re: Tarmac or asphalt for domestic drive ? Date: 15/09/2010 22:42
This site often gets a mention

http://www.pavingexpert.com/tarmac01.htm

Author: GrandOiseau Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64570 of 77675
Subject: Re: Tarmac or asphalt for domestic drive ? Date: 15/09/2010 23:22
Recommendations: 1
Why are you restricting yourself to tarmac or asphalt?

Have you ruled out block paving, concrete?

Also what about this option http://boards.fool.co.uk/new-driveway-11933369.aspx?sort=who...

GO

Author: gwynee Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64572 of 77675
Subject: Re: Tarmac or asphalt for domestic drive ? Date: 16/09/2010 01:19
I have not heard of SMA used for domestic driveways, although I suppose there is no reason in principle why you could not use it. 'Dense Bit' seems to be the standard material and is adequate in my view, unless you are designing for particularly high loads and/or hot weather.

The Paving Expert site as recommended above is excellent. You might also have a look at this site aimed more at highway maintenance professionals, but very informative:

http://www.highwaysmaintenance.com/

Cheers,
Gwyn

Author: feder1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64579 of 77675
Subject: Re: Tarmac or asphalt for domestic drive ? Date: 16/09/2010 17:03
Which is more economical pricewise; block paving or tarmac/asphalt for a domestic drive?

Author: ArchieTrave Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64580 of 77675
Subject: Re: Tarmac or asphalt for domestic drive ? Date: 16/09/2010 18:34
Recommendations: 1
Which is more economical pricewise; block paving or tarmac/asphalt for a domestic drive?

If it helps, we're about to have our drive resurfaced with block paving (Global Stone York Green Old Rectory Cobbles to be precise). For digging out (including a soakaway) MOT Type 1 sub-base, strip gully, supply and wet lay the blocks we're paying £100 per sq metre. From memory, the cobbles account for about £40 per sq m of that but they come in "project packs" i.e. crates so there's a chance of having quite a bit left over.

Other quotes were up to 2.5 times that sum.

Archie

Author: HGfool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64583 of 77675
Subject: Re: Tarmac or asphalt for domestic drive ? Date: 16/09/2010 21:32
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'll go back round the suppliers again, and ask for customer refs, and see if that helps me decide.

The drive runs between some new (and brilliantly laid) stone walling, so I think a plain surface would set that off better than block paving would.

I'll give Stonebond a call, but their site doesn't show any installers near us (North Wilts). Our quotes for asphalt are up to £2900 for 160 sq m, so it looks from the linked thread that Stonebond is at least double the cost(?)

Thanks again
HGF

Author: IsleofWightPete Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64585 of 77675
Subject: Re: Tarmac or asphalt for domestic drive ? Date: 17/09/2010 08:41
Recommendations: 3
I think I'll go back round the suppliers again, and ask for customer refs, and see if that helps me decide.

The drive runs between some new (and brilliantly laid) stone walling, so I think a plain surface would set that off better than block paving would.

As you compare, be sure to look at similar installations to your own. A straight drive up to a garage (for example) will take very little wear. A curved drive, a lot more. And a large drive for several cars where 3 (or more)-point-turns are regularly undertaken will be subjected to a great deal of wheel scuffing as drivers go from lock to lock.

You need to make sure your chosen surface stands up to the sort of use it will get in your situation. A "pretty" drive surface for a low-wear situation might get ripped to shreds after a few 3-pointers!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread