UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: zimba100 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 78161  
Subject: storage heater not working Date: 16/01/2008 23:01
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a Dimplex XL12N heater that has stopprd working, I have replaced elements and checked power supply but still nothing.
I don't want to pay out 200 plus on a new one when it's probably something simple costing a few quid! Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mansredfire Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50603 of 78161
Subject: Re: storage heater not working Date: 17/01/2008 08:31
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I had a storage heater stop working on me once and it turned out to be the bi-metalic thermostat strip that had given up the ghost.

Can't recall the brand of heater so may not be relevant to you, but ISTR the replacement part was pennies. May be worth checking.

HTH

mrf

Author: IsleofWightPete Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50604 of 78161
Subject: Re: storage heater not working Date: 17/01/2008 08:37
Recommendations: 2
I have a Dimplex XL12N heater that has stopprd working, I have replaced elements and checked power supply but still nothing.
I don't want to pay out 200 plus on a new one when it's probably something simple costing a few quid! Can anyone help?

Usually this is an overheat protection device that has stopped working (or burned out - often because someone has draped laundry over the heater!!!)

I don;t know your particular model, but many have a "fusible link" mounted at the top. There are several types of this (Google for Storage heater fusible link and find pictures so you know what to look for). If you find one, stick a multimeter across the poles to check continuity. If it needs replacing, check you get the right one. They all trip at different temperatures, and each model needs the right one for safety.

Some models have a resettable temperature cut out, and this looks like a disk with wires coming out, about 40mm across. If you squeeze it, you will hear a click and that resets it. Again check before and after for continuity across the terminals with a multimeter.

Others have a thermostat hanging underneath, often like a copper tube, which are known to fail fairly frequently. Again follow back to the wires and check for continuity.

You will need to do a LOT of phoning around to find stockists for spare parts, although some of the manufacturers have a postal service for parts (at a price!) but can't remember which ones.

I am assuming that you have a multimeter and reasonable knowledge of electricty and safety. If not, call in a sparkie to do it for you. Particularly remember that a storage heater is intended to be "dead" during the day (but watch out for those that have a day time boost as those will have live elements inside all the time) but they will switch themselves on without warning at the appointed time, potentially frying someone fiddling about with wires inside. So don't take chances, unless you are sure you know what you are doing!

Author: Snorvey Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50609 of 78161
Subject: Re: storage heater not working Date: 17/01/2008 12:55
Recommendations: 1
I don't want to pay out 200 plus on a new one

Nah. Check through your free newspapers - theres always someone needing to get rid of storage heaters. Quite often they are 'free to good home - buyer collects'.

Which is the biggest problem. They're blimmin' heavy!!

Snorvey

Author: ten0rman Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50610 of 78161
Subject: Re: storage heater not working Date: 17/01/2008 17:07
Hi,

For what it's worth I have two models of Dimplex storage heaters - DA series and XT series. Both model series use the same sort of protective device, ie a resettable cutout placed inside the top sort of immediately behind the the Input Contoller. From memory, look for a circular pressable disk about 20mm in diameter in the middle of an oval shaped thingy.

I assume that the XL series are similar to the XT series.

Good luck.

ten0rman

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread