UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Manks1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 392910  
Subject: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 17/01/2010 12:11
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hi All

Does anyone know please what causes the black sticky gunk on the soleplate of irons? Our current iron seems to be particularly prone to the build up.

My wife believes it's because it's a cheap iron. I bought it for her a few months ago at Morrisons to replace one where the wire had worn through to the metal, sparking a bit, and which she considered "dangerous". The fact that she is now complaining that the iron is "cheap" smacks of ingratitude, frankly.

So, is a more expensive iron going to be less prone to build-up? If so I have an idea. It's Mrs Manks birthday in two weeks, I can buy her a really expensive iron instead of jewellery / perfume etc. It might deliver the twin benefits of gunge-free ironing and stimulating a bit more gratitude in the future.

Manks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JayHoe Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 301918 of 392910
Subject: Re: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 17/01/2010 12:19
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
t's Mrs Manks birthday in two weeks, I can buy her a really expensive iron instead of jewellery / perfume etc

Just don't Manks, you'll regret it...

It might deliver the twin benefits of gunge-free ironing and stimulating a bit more gratitude in the future.

I think you live on a different planet! A neighbour bought his wife a frying pan for christmas about 6 years ago... she is still cross!

Author: ten0rman Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 301919 of 392910
Subject: Re: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 17/01/2010 12:25
Recommendations: 1
Does anyone know please what causes the black sticky gunk on the soleplate of irons? Our current iron seems to be particularly prone to the build up.

As far as I know, this is caused by ironing man made stuff at too high a temperature. To get rid of it, a recemmended way apparently is to set the iron to maximum (I think) and then rub on cotton, the idea being to wipe it off.

Although it's along time since I had to do it, I've used mechanical means in the past, wire brush in drill chuck. This is only mentioned as to what I have done. I want no comebacks as it will make a mess of the soleplate, ie lots of scratches, especially if aluminium.

Regards,

ten0rman

Author: Swill453 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 301923 of 392910
Subject: Re: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 17/01/2010 12:34
Recommendations: 3
You can get an "iron cleaning stick", probably in the supermarket for a couple of quid. Just rub it on the soleplate when hot.

It'll probably come in a box about the size of a small perfume bottle...

Scott.

Author: jc558 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 301924 of 392910
Subject: Re: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 17/01/2010 12:38
Assuming you want a sensible answer, buy something like a Philip's Elance 3100 which has a non-stick plate and came out top in the Good Housekeeping tests a couple of years ago (but NOT as a birthday present).

Author: midnightcatprowl Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 301925 of 392910
Subject: Re: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 17/01/2010 12:49
Recommendations: 16
Buy a decent quality iron with a non-stick plate. A good iron will offer more reliable combinations of heat level and steam making it easier to successfully iron the sort of fabric which leaves a black deposit on the base of the iron. If you must wear clothes containing artificial fibres the quality of the iron becomes critical as they can be remarkably difficult to get smooth without using a heat level which causes some melting of the material onto the iron.

You should also take over the ironing yourself as a week or two of struggling with the various fabrics will remove all your reluctance to spend money on buying a decent iron, in fact you'll probably stop ironing during the first session to rush out and buy a good iron.

Your wife does not want an iron nor a tea towel nor anything similar for her birthday. The best birthday present would be the idea above i.e. send her a card promising to all the ironing for the next twelve months : - )

Author: Satsumaa Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 301928 of 392910
Subject: Re: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 17/01/2010 13:10
Recommendations: 0
You can get an "iron cleaning stick", probably in the supermarket for a couple of quid. Just rub it on the soleplate when hot

These work well, but they can STINK to high heaven, so be prepared! If you can't find them at the Supermarket Robert Dyas usually have them in.

I have (very carefully) scraped my (cold) iron's soleplate with a knife to get rid of residue in the past, and it is still working fine, non stick etc. It is a cheap/basic range iron which I got about 13 years ago and is still doing what it is meant to!

Sats

Author: Manks1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 301932 of 392910
Subject: Re: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 17/01/2010 14:06
Recommendations: 20
Midnightcatprowl

So we do need to invest in something better then, if it's the fibres adhering to the iron.

Your wife does not want an iron nor a tea towel nor anything similar for her birthday.

I was only kidding obviously, I wouldn't dream of buying her an iron. No, I'm still undecided between a Black and Decker circular saw and a lawnmower.

Manks

Author: kodokan Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 301942 of 392910
Subject: Re: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 17/01/2010 15:17
No, I'm still undecided between a Black and Decker circular saw and a lawnmower.

Don't mock, I've received both a jigsaw (not the table puzzle kind) and a ride-on mower as gifts from my hubby in the past. Not big on jewellery and perfume, me.

kodokan

Author: SarahStrat Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 301948 of 392910
Subject: Re: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 17/01/2010 16:08
So we do need to invest in something better then, if it's the fibres adhering to the iron.

What a funny thread. IME black sticky stuff mostly comes from catching the applied logos/images on kids' T-shirts and adults sports shirts (all the ones that say "do not iron over..."), into which fluff sticks. Plus the odd swipe made at something manmade with the heat setting on cotton.

Sticky stuff remover gets it off, although you then need to scrub the effing remover tuff out of the steam holes.

IME any iron purchased by Him Outdoors is going to be twice as heavy as the one selected by Her Indoors, and also probably twice as expensive. If you are going to spend three hours a week shoving the darn thing over clothes some road testing by the end-user is advisable, or else you risk sore wrists (it is a fact men have stronger wrists for some reason)

SarahStrat

Author: spudulica Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 301958 of 392910
Subject: Re: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 17/01/2010 18:56
Recommendations: 7

No idea

My wife believes it's because it's a cheap iron.

She may be right. A few years ago, I bought three irons in about two weeks because the first two were, simply, crap. It might be worth asking on here who can recommend a good one.

I bought it for her a few months ago at Morrisons to replace one where the wire had worn through to the metal, sparking a bit, and which she considered "dangerous". The fact that she is now complaining that the iron is "cheap" smacks of ingratitude, frankly.

Agreed, I would suggest its time for a new model. Are there any pretty young things in the accounts department?

So, is a more expensive iron going to be less prone to build-up?

Probably

If so I have an idea. It's Mrs Manks birthday in two weeks, I can buy her a really expensive iron instead of jewellery / perfume etc. It might deliver the twin benefits of gunge-free ironing and stimulating a bit more gratitude in the future.

I think it might stimulate a headache due to an iron shaped depression in your skull....

Author: rascalsfan Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 374185 of 392910
Subject: Re: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 12/08/2013 03:25
I would really like an answer to this too. I had an expensive iron. I am on the altar guild of our church and iron linens. All the sudden I got this dark residue on my iron that would not come off and would ruin these expensive linens. I threw it out and got another pricey iron. Same thing happened. Could it be maybe someone is using starch and it's burning? HELP!!!

Author: Clitheroekid Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 374213 of 392910
Subject: Re: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 12/08/2013 13:42
Hi rascalsfan, welcome to TMF.

However, you may not receive much of a response as you're posting in response to a thread dating from January 2010.

Author: IsleofWightPete Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 374217 of 392910
Subject: Re: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 12/08/2013 14:20
Could it be maybe someone is using starch and it's burning?

Yes it could well be starch, or fabric conditioner, both of which can burn on and form sticky residues.
It is also possible that it is un-rinsed detergent, or even melted synthetic fibres.

Turn down the temperature, clean off the sole plate on a coarse cotton tea towel and/or use a proprietary sole-plate cleaner.

Author: SlugPizza Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 374240 of 392910
Subject: Re: Sticky black stuff on electric iron. Date: 12/08/2013 21:10
Depends on the iron's plate surface, personally we have older irons that are plain chromed (?) or otherwise plated steel and respond well to being cleaned when cold with a very mild Brasso type cream cleaner solution, after removing the gunk clean with a soapy solution & rinse to remove any cleaning residue.

If you are ironing fabrics of worth do so through a thin cotton sheet, cut to size old sheet sheet. I do my silk ties this way.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread