UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: charex One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 94967  
Subject: Shared water supply Date: 17/02/2008 10:38
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a shared water supply with a neighbour. The supply goes to her premises then crosses her land and on to mine. My water pressure is low whilst hers is high, even when no water is being drawn by my neighbour.
Unfortunately, I can foresee problems if there is a leak on her property before it comes on to mine because there are patios and conservatories now covering the pipes and she has been uncooperative and obstructive on past issues.
Has anyone experienced this problem and knows of the legal position. Who is responsible for the pipes etc.? I am contacting the water company for their advice regarding a possible water leak.
I have cross posted this on the DAK board.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pochisoldi Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48205 of 94967
Subject: Re: Shared water supply Date: 17/02/2008 11:12
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have a shared water supply with a neighbour. The supply goes to her premises then crosses her land and on to mine. My water pressure is low whilst hers is high, even when no water is being drawn by my neighbour.
Unfortunately, I can foresee problems if there is a leak on her property before it comes on to mine because there are patios and conservatories now covering the pipes and she has been uncooperative and obstructive on past issues.
Has anyone experienced this problem and knows of the legal position. Who is responsible for the pipes etc.? I am contacting the water company for their advice regarding a possible water leak.

You're a bit light on detail:

1) Is your neighbour below you (i.e. you live in a flat or maisonette), or to the side of you (e.g. a terraced house).

2) Does your property has direct access to the street, or does the supply pipe have to cross your neighbours land?

Without this information, any answers you may receive might not fit with your situation.

PochiSoldi

Author: supremetwo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48207 of 94967
Subject: Re: Shared water supply Date: 17/02/2008 11:22
Who is responsible for the pipes etc.?

You both are, from the point at which your pipe leaves the part maintained by the Water board - see the examples:-

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/aptrix/ofwat/publish.nsf/content/waterandseweragepipes

What are the companies' responsibilities for water pipes?

Water companies are responsible for the water mains in the ground. Normally they are also responsible for that part of the service pipe lying between the main and the company's stop tap which represents the limit of their public network (usually at the boundary of the highway).This is known as the communication pipe. Most properties have an underground stop tap at the boundary where the communication pipe ends. The water company is responsible for keeping these in a serviceable condition.

What are the householders' responsibilities?
In most cases, the part of the service pipe taking water from the company's stop tap into the house belongs to the householder or property owner. This is known as the supply pipe. It is the householder's responsibility to keep the supply pipe in good order, in the same way as they are responsible for the plumbing. It is the landlord's responsibility in rented properties (unless the rental agreement states differently).
------
Houses B and C have a shared supply pipe and have joint responsibility for maintenance for any part of the pipe that is shared.
------
Shared supply pipes

Where a supply pipe is shared householders may share responsibility with their neighbours for the costs of repairs. For example, in the diagram for a repair in the pipe running past house D, the responsibility for making repairs would probably be shared with houses E and F. Householders should check the deeds of their property to establish responsibility.

Author: charex One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48209 of 94967
Subject: Re: Shared water supply Date: 17/02/2008 11:59
I live in a semi-detached house. The water supply comes from the road into my neighbours property then across her land and into my property and ends on my property. As far as I know the water mains runs in front of my property and could be tapped into to bring the supply direct to my home. (with some slight difficulty)

Author: supremetwo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48210 of 94967
Subject: Re: Shared water supply Date: 17/02/2008 13:31
could be tapped into to bring the supply direct to my home.

It could, but be aware of the considerable charges by a water company for a new connection to the edge of your land.

e.g. http://www.stwater.co.uk/upload/pdf/Ref_03_with_band.pdf

Note that some water authorities do not charge for fixing leaks in private pipes.

http://www.stwater.co.uk/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.3057#BurstPipe

What if the pipe bursts on the section that the householder is responsible for?

Whilst we do not have responsibility for the customer supply pipe we have, since 1997, operated a free repair scheme to help customers. This is not an immediate or emergency service and there are exceptions and limitations upon the scheme. Contact us on 0800 783 4444 for more information

More in:- http://www.stwater.co.uk/upload/pdf/8175_STW_Repairing_Leaks_20070213101814.pdf

Author: zulus9 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48212 of 94967
Subject: Re: Shared water supply Date: 17/02/2008 17:39
In our previous property the supply pipe to our property was independent of the house next door but was connect to the main at a point adjacent to their connection and ran from the road through its land before entering ours.

We had a licence to run the pipe through our neighbour's property for which we paid £1pa. The licence set out our right to reasonable access for repair etc.

The two houses were at one time in common ownership and the licence was put in place just prior to our purchase.

HTH

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread