UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Nimrod103 Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 34084  
Subject: Santander Rapport protection software Date: 21/06/2010 08:14
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
When I log into Santander, I am being advised to download their Rapport internet security program. Can anybody tell me whether this is a good idea or not?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: feder1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28318 of 34084
Subject: Re: Santander Rapport protection software Date: 21/06/2010 08:32
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I belive it was discussed recently here under A&L annoying popup.

Also on board "Help with this....", search for Rapport.

Author: loir Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28319 of 34084
Subject: Re: Santander Rapport protection software Date: 21/06/2010 08:36
It is basically a password protection system. It tracks your entry of passwords into different sites. It will warn you if you attempt to enter one of your passwords into a site it does not know. So it should prevent "phishing" attacks, where you are conned by a site that looks like the real site.

It certainly won't do any harm, and it might make you more secure.

Incidentally, they have a very good support team if you have any problems with their system.

Loir

Author: AlderPoint Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28325 of 34084
Subject: Re: Santander Rapport protection software Date: 21/06/2010 10:58
Recommendations: 1
It certainly won't do any harm

Not everyone agrees with that statement:
E.g. http://blog.rlr-uk.com/2009/05/trusteer-or-no-trust-ere.html...

Author: ten0rman Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28326 of 34084
Subject: Re: Santander Rapport protection software Date: 21/06/2010 10:59
It certainly won't do any harm, and it might make you more secure

"Might" make you more secure? That says it all!

Regards,

ten0rman

Author: loir Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28337 of 34084
Subject: Re: Santander Rapport protection software Date: 21/06/2010 17:10
Recommendations: 1
It certainly won't do any harm

Not everyone agrees with that statement:
E.g. http://blog.rlr-uk.com/2009/05/trusteer-or-no-trust-ere.html......

On reading all his posts on Trusteer Rapport:
http://blog.rlr-uk.com/search/label/Trusteer

the only real downside he sees is that it might give someone a false sense of security.

One, obviously, must have other security in place, to deal with the variety of malware that is about.

And one should be cautious about accepting downloads and installations of anything.

Loir

Author: garless Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28338 of 34084
Subject: Re: Santander Rapport protection software Date: 21/06/2010 19:01
RBS also recommends this software. I guess the onus is on you to prove your machine is secure if you loose money and don't have Rapport installed, the banks have used the security excuse from the uncrackable chip and pin to this. It only seems to use less than 2% CPU time on my MacBook so it's probably cheaper than the lawyers to fight the bank if you get hacked.

G

Author: AlderPoint Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28340 of 34084
Subject: Re: Santander Rapport protection software Date: 21/06/2010 19:15
I guess the onus is on you to prove your machine is secure if you loose money and don't have Rapport installed

Have any banks actually stated this??? If it is true, why don't they just refuse your internet banking session if you don't have it installed.

Many people use their work PCs for internet banking (whether they should or not is beside the point) and don't have the rights required to install additional software, and so cannot comply with the recommendation.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread