UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Melonfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 384989  
Subject: Route planner with 'avoid' Date: 30/12/2009 12:16
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi

I need to go to East London in about an hour from south Cambs - a really easy a journey when a pig has not committed harikari and got the road shut in both directions.

The closure is at junc 7 and 8, both ways.

Can anyone tell me a route planning site where I can tell it NOT to include the M11 in the route? I can't find a way to do it on multimap. I'm not confident I'll be able to work out how to do it with the Tomtom either - unless someone can explain that for me? (I've not got the instructions).

I have tried telling multimap to go 'via' to take the route off the M11, but it just throws me back on the M11 after the via place and I can't work out anywhere to go 'via' that won't do that.

I think I need to stay off it altogether really as I am at jct 10 (can't exit at 9) so I'm almost upon the incident anyway.

My best plan so far is to go Audley End, then A130 and find the A12 into London and follow the satnav from there.

?

Ta
Mel
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Watis Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 300784 of 384989
Subject: Re: Route planner with 'avoid' Date: 30/12/2009 12:31
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Mel,

My TomTom allows me to select 'Avoid Motorways' each time I enter a destination. If yours doesn't, look under 'Preferences' for this.

HTH,

Watis

Author: mutantpoodle Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 300785 of 384989
Subject: Re: Route planner with 'avoid' Date: 30/12/2009 12:31
use the RAC site

I've had no success at all with the AA site for months now!

enter start and finish and click avoid motorways

Author: stompa Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 300786 of 384989
Subject: Re: Route planner with 'avoid' Date: 30/12/2009 12:33
Recommendations: 8
http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/JourneyPlanning/FindCar...

Stompa

Author: Melonfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 300788 of 384989
Subject: Re: Route planner with 'avoid' Date: 30/12/2009 12:39
Hi

Thanks - but, I can't see anywhere to "click to avoid motorways" on the RAC site either?

Wherabouts might it be?

It looks the same as multimap, just all organge.

I'm not sure how to find 'preferences' on the tomtom either - it's never asked me if I want to avoid motorways.

Hmmm....

Mel

(In fact, I just spotted at the bottom "RAC in parternship with mutlimap" so it is the same)

Author: TMFTarantula Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 300789 of 384989
Subject: Re: Route planner with 'avoid' Date: 30/12/2009 12:39
http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/JourneyPlanning/FindCar...

And click on the "Advanced Options" button at the bottom left of the main blue box :-)

(Fwiw, this is the first route planner I've seen with the facility to avoid specific roads, as opposed to just avoiding all motorways or toll roads - thanks Stompa!)

Regards

Tarantula

Author: Melonfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 300790 of 384989
Subject: Re: Route planner with 'avoid' Date: 30/12/2009 12:43
Thanks Stompa

That one does have a clear 'avoid motorways' option and it sends me down the A10, which I was vaguely considering but better to have a route.

Ta
Mel

Author: Watis Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 300791 of 384989
Subject: Re: Route planner with 'avoid' Date: 30/12/2009 12:44
Or, on a PC/web enabled device, Google maps: http://maps.google.co.uk/

Then Get directions, enter start and end points, click 'Show options', tick 'Avoid highways', click 'Get Directions'.

Google maps also has a 'traffic' button on the map that shows average speeds on motorways and some major roads. So useful and right now shows slow traffic from Jn 9 to the M25.

If you are able to leave at Jn 10 could I suggest the A10 as an alternative route - it may be busier than usual though.

Watis

Author: Melonfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 300792 of 384989
Subject: Re: Route planner with 'avoid' Date: 30/12/2009 13:12
Thanks - no portable web-enabled device that I can actually work! (I have a work phone with browsing but no idea how to use it).

I live at jnct 10 (almost literally, can walk to it) so can def go down the A10 instead.

Ta

Mel

Author: ahenry Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 300793 of 384989
Subject: Re: Route planner with 'avoid' Date: 30/12/2009 13:27
Recommendations: 1
The Google Maps route planner is good when you know the route that you want to take for part of the route. From http://maps.google.co.uk click the "Get Directions" link.

You can then enter your start and finish locations, get the route and click the Traffic button at the top of the map. If you want to adjust the route, click with the left mouse button on the blue route line and drag the route somewhere else.

eg http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=d...

Author: spudulica Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 300794 of 384989
Subject: Re: Route planner with 'avoid' Date: 30/12/2009 15:28
The trafficmaster system is very comprehensive these days. It has built in algorithms to calculate the best route based on the time of day (ie, rush hours or no rush hour) and has built in real-time congestion avoidance.

Its supposed to be very good.

Author: Slarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 300796 of 384989
Subject: Re: Route planner with 'avoid' Date: 30/12/2009 16:06
Recommendations: 2
With the TomTom, if you do not have it set to let you choose route type each time you enter a route, after it has calculated the route mine comes up with a summary screen with 3 buttons at the bottom, Done Find alternatives and Details.

Select Find alternative, then Avoid part of route.

Now scroll down the route it has planned until you see M11 and tap that, it will then recalculate for you avoiding that section of road.

HTH
Slarti

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread