UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: superF00Lish Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 385173  
Subject: "Ascot" radio controlled clock help Date: 23/01/2010 23:29
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have an "Ascot" wall clock which is 'radio-controlled'; i.e. it picks up its time signal via radio. The clock was purchased from Aldi, and for this reason, it picks up its signal from Germany which is fine, but they are 1 hour ahead of us.

The sticker on the back of the clock advises that I should set the time zone to "-1 hour" for the correct time in England (so far, so good, but)... "See instructions manual page 1 and 2". I bought the clock a few years ago, and I cannot find the manual!

The buttons on the back of the clock are, from left to right:

Set/Zone
Alarm
Mode
+/(receiver icon)
-/temp

I have tried a few combinations, but cannot figure it out. I have manually set the clock back one hour, but of course, it corrects itself every time the radio signal is received.

Does anyone, by any chance have a manual for this clock, or for any "Ascot" branded, radio-controlled clock?

Incidentally, I did originally have the time displaying correctly (or perhaps it was provided with a battery and already set correctly), but the battery expired, hence the problem arising now.

Thanks.
SF
Print the post Back To Top
Author: HarryDodson Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302364 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 24/01/2010 10:05
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
You could try this lot:

http://www.fixya.com/

Good luck, Harry.

Author: ahenry Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302365 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 24/01/2010 10:31
Recommendations: 3
The buttons on the back of the clock are, from left to right:

Set/Zone
Alarm
Mode
+/(receiver icon)
-/temp

I have tried a few combinations, but cannot figure it out. I have manually set the clock back one hour, but of course, it corrects itself every time the radio signal is received.

I don't have one and I couldn't find instructions on how to do this with a google search.

However, when you need to set the time for something like this, I would start by pressing the Mode button. If the display flashes in any of the modes, then this is likely to be the one where you change settings.

If nothing happens when you press the Mode button briefly, holding the button down for 5-10 seconds. Sometimes this will then put it into a configuration mode.

If that doesn't work, then try pressing combinations of buttons. Then hold one of the buttons for 5-10 seconds and press the other buttons.

The final stage is to repeat:

"Come on, start, will you!? Start, you vicious bastard! Come on! Oh my God! I'm warning you — if you don't start… (scream with rage) I'll count to three. One…two…three! Right! That's it! You've tried it on just once too often! Right! Well, don't say I haven't warned you! I've laid it on the line to you time and time again! Right! Well…this is it! I'm going to give you a damn good thrashing!"

At this point you can pound the device with a large, blunt object. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc has a demonstration of this approach.

Author: superF00Lish Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302376 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 24/01/2010 13:23
Thanks.

It's not the mode button unfortunately, and I can't find an on-line manual either.

SF

Author: LilMsRonnie Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302378 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 24/01/2010 14:43
Hi SF

I could find no email contact for Aldi, but I have for a company called Krippl who, it would seem, are/were the manufacturers of the Ascot brand. Their website now only seems to show a brand called Twins however.

Contact details here:

http://www.produktservice.info/shop/index.aspx?view=37

Website homepage here:

http://www.krippl-watches.com/

I hope you will be able to contact them and get some useful information from them (such as an electronic copy of the manual).

Ronnie

Author: TMFTarantula Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302379 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 24/01/2010 14:44
Recommendations: 5
Hi SF

I have an Ascot "FunkWetterStation" - a barometer/hygrometer/sunrise/sunset thing, which has a radio-controlled clock. Whilst it'll have more buttons and settings than yours, the radio-controlled clock bit works the same way.

Every time the batteries ran out it used to take me a day or two to figure out how to set the time correctly for 'here', as opposed to for Germany... until I hit on the cunning plan of making a note of it :-)

Hold down the 'Set/Zone' button until the time/date display (or some part of it) starts flashing.

Assuming it really does work the same as mine, it will go through year, month and day first.

Use the +/- keys to adjust whatever's flashing to whatever it should be.

Press 'Set/Zone' to advance to the next thing to be set.

When the hour is flashing, set the time to +1 hour of 'now' - ie, set it to the time Germany.

Minutes will be next, followed by time format (12/24 hr).

Then the time zone setting should be flashing.

Set it to -1.

When it's back to the non-flashing time/date display, the time should be showing +1 of whatever it is here.

Press the 'Set/Zone' button so that 'Zone' displays - the time will now be correct for here - ie, -1hr of Germany.

When BST starts, press 'Set/Time' so that 'Zone' isn't displaying - the time will then be correct for BST (because it will be +1 of whatever it was showing before).

Set 'Zone' on again when BST ends.

I do have the manual, which is entirely in German. But if you'd like a scan of the relevant pages for setting the time just ask.

Cheers

Tarantula

Author: superF00Lish Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302384 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 24/01/2010 17:53
Recommendations: 2
Thanks all.

I thought I had figured it out just prior to Tarantula posting his message; once I had been through the options to set hour, minute, day, etc, there was a flashing zero (although there was no indication as to what it did), and when I pressed the "-" button, it changed to -1, and I was hopeful, but it hadn't solve the problem!

Tarantula was spot on with the Zone button which 'activated' the -1, so thanks.

I didn't need to set the time at all, as that was updated automatically when I pressed the "receive" button.

I have now put a sticker on the back of the clock for the next time I forget; it's a long time between battery changes!

SF

Author: pottager Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302402 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 25/01/2010 10:45
When BST starts, press 'Set/Time' so that 'Zone' isn't displaying - the time will then be correct for BST (because it will be +1 of whatever it was showing before).

Set 'Zone' on again when BST ends.

So this is a radio-controlled clock that doesn't automatically adjust for summer time? Almost defeats the object for me!

Author: LilMsRonnie Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302407 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 25/01/2010 11:10
So this is a radio-controlled clock that doesn't automatically adjust for summer time? Almost defeats the object for me!

It won't adjust for British Summer Time because it is a German-made clock rather than a British one.

Ronnie

Author: fourtwentyfour Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302409 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 25/01/2010 11:38
Well, I have a German made radio controlled clock, and that adjust to our summer time. As far as I know the radio signal comes from Germany.

So, either we and them have the same summer time, or, well, give up...

Author: TMFTarantula Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302410 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 25/01/2010 11:47
Recommendations: 2
Hi fourtwentyfour

Well, I have a German made radio controlled clock, and that adjust to our summer time. As far as I know the radio signal comes from Germany.

Come to think of it, it may well automatically adjust - the end of BST 2009 is now too long ago to remember if it did or not. Will have to wait until 28 March to find out.

So, either we and them have the same summer time, or, well, give up...

We do. The Ninth EC directive on summer-time arrangements - Directive 2000/84/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 January 2001 - harmonized the dates in member states.

See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Summer_Time

regards

Tarantula

Author: pottager Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302424 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 25/01/2010 16:15
We do. The Ninth EC directive on summer-time arrangements - Directive 2000/84/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 January 2001 - harmonized the dates in member states.

And it's not just the date that is harmonised, the GMT/UTC time is too, so the change is simultaneous throughout.

Author: lamboatcooden Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 318841 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 29/09/2010 11:20
I have the same problem Did you get help If so please passdetails to me.

JL

Author: dxt3 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 323724 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 17/12/2010 08:33
I have had this issue and every time I change batteries it takes me ages to work out what to do. In the end it's easy - just use the mode button to get all of the times, dates etc set up and the zone as -1. Repeated use of mode gets you back to the steady display but notice that the word ZONE needs to be displayed as well (to the left of the time on my unit). If it is not displayed give a brief press to the mode/zone button and it should show - once done everything is now set and working. Hope this helps.

Author: giltbrook Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 337662 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 04/08/2011 16:06
If anyone is looking for a manual for the Ascot/Aldi Radio Controlled LCD Wall Clock it can be downloaded in pdf form here:-
https://www.produktservice.info/25072518/2011/manual.pdf

Author: fourtwentyfour Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 337674 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 04/08/2011 18:03
Yes, it certainly is a manual for an Ascot/Aldi Radio Controlled LCD Wall Clock, however, for clarity it is for a model sold in the UK during July/August 2011, and is a different model to that referred to earlier. ;-)

I have both, now.

Author: mikthewik Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 363831 of 385173
Subject: Re: "Ascot" radio controlled clock hel Date: 28/12/2012 11:45
This situation may now be resolved after all this time but the following link may help. I had a similar problem and googled for info before searching for my manual. Mine is the projector version with buttons on the front, but did find my manual online after finding this site in my actual manual. https://www.produktservice.info

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread