UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: threepio Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 94415  
Subject: "agricultural habitation clause" Date: 14/01/2003 11:24
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Could anyone tell me what a "agricultural habitation clause" is, in relation to buying a house?

Thanks..
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Mansarde Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4412 of 94415
Subject: Re: "agricultural habitation clause" Date: 14/01/2003 11:28
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Could anyone tell me what a "agricultural habitation clause" is, in relation to buying a house?

I think it means that the property must be inhabited by someone who's mainly working in agriculture, probably in the local area. Precisely what type of work would or wouldn't qualify, how it's enforced and by whom, I've no idea.

Cheers,

Mansarde

Author: gborland1 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4413 of 94415
Subject: Re: "agricultural habitation clause" Date: 14/01/2003 11:32
Recommendations: 3

It means you have to share your bedroom with sheep and chickens.

Author: Sutch Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4417 of 94415
Subject: Re: "agricultural habitation clause" Date: 14/01/2003 16:58
"Could anyone tell me what a "agricultural habitation clause" is, in relation to buying a house"

Can't answer you in specific terms although the following seems to give a pretty good indication. You could try ringing the number and masquerading as a farmer! "Oh Ah, Oh Ah" is the recognised lingo to pass yourself off as a man/woman of the soil. Tell them you saw it in "Tilling and Reaping Monthly"

The occupation of the dwelling is limited to a person solely mainly or lastly working in agriculture in an area as a whole. If you require further clarification of this clause please contact Boston Borough Council Tel 01205 314200

Do let us know how you get on/ when you get out!

Sutch

Author: Calindy Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4421 of 94415
Subject: Re: "agricultural habitation clause" Date: 14/01/2003 18:25

Hi, threepio

As far as I'm aware, when there is an agricultural restriction on a property, the occupation is limited to those whose main income is from an agricultural employment (or self-employment) on the land, usually the land attached to the house or that of the farmer who has let the property.

I believe the ties are closely controlled, and the planning department of the local council enforce them strictly.

If no purchaser can be found, usually by advertising the property for some months at a price approx 2/3rds open market value, then sometimes the owner can apply to have the tie lifted. In the case of an older property, this has sometimes happened, but sometimes the coucil refuse, particularly if the house is relatively new, and is built in the executive or country house style, and only got planning permission on the agricultural tie - the council feel they've been hoodwinked into giving planning.

The agricultural employment is sometimes a bit borderline, I've heard that mushroom growing, or nursery-type work is sometimes used. Equestrian doesn't count.

For further information, some of the self-build type web sites have articles on the subject.

HTH Calindy

Author: threepio Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4422 of 94415
Subject: Re: "agricultural habitation clause" Date: 15/01/2003 10:16
Thanks for the help. We looked around a house we really liked and wanted, and the estate agent dropped in the clause bit at the end!

So after dismissing him for being incompetant (we made it clear what our professions were etc) I talked to vendor about the clause and he iterated that if it cant sell he will be able to drop the clause, up the price and give us first dabs on it.

Thanks all.

Author: threepio Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4423 of 94415
Subject: Re: "agricultural habitation clause" Date: 15/01/2003 10:17
Excuse my typo's!

Author: poohpot Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4426 of 94415
Subject: Re: "agricultural habitation clause" Date: 16/01/2003 02:44
Recommendations: 2
I talked to vendor about the clause and he iterated that if it cant sell he will be able to drop the clause, up the price and give us first dabs on it.

Hi threepio,

The vendor is talking a load of rubbish! It can be (and almost always is) very difficult to have an agricultural clause removed, and depends upon the local councils ruling in the area in which the property is located.

He, the vendor, certainly can't make the decission himself to remove it, or by logical thinking he would have already done so, since it devalues the price of his property.

Don't let him or the estate agent hoodwink you!

Regards, Shelley

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread