UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: smo59 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 391598  
Subject: Post for previous home owner Date: 28/12/2007 13:48
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I a moved into a new house in September but am still getting post for previous owner.

In most cases, post has gone back into post box with "Not known at this address" on it.
Where possible, I have rang companies to get the name&address removed from databases.

One item which keeps coming back is the SKY monthly newsletter. I've returned every one as "Not known at this address" but they keep coming.

Yesterday I rang SKY who would NOT accept my word that the previous owner had moved on as this was contrary to ID fraud/counterfeiting/money laundering regulations/data protection act. (Not sure which they said, but it was one of these). So, I am going to continue to get post for this person at a cost to SKY (and ultimately the consumer) and at a cost to the enviroment. Does anyone have any ideas how I can convinve SKY that the previous owner no longer lives here?

Cheers,

SteveO.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Satsumaa Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 244549 of 391598
Subject: Re: Post for previous home owner Date: 28/12/2007 14:21
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
You could try emailing the Data Protection office at DP.Office@bskyb.com.

Or brian.sullivan@BSKYB.COM
Mr Sullivan is Managing Director, Customer Group at BskyB (but DYOR as that is from Feb 07) and he is the one who passed my complaint email onto the DP office.

I eventually got a (albeit really snotty) reply from them after they continued harrassing me for over 3 years. You will find that their marketing department do not accept external phone calls so don't bother trying that.

Sats

Author: pompeygazza Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 244553 of 391598
Subject: Re: Post for previous home owner Date: 28/12/2007 15:02
Recommendations: 0
ring up sky and say that you would like to cancel their service, even though you don't have it.

i had the same thing with ntl, rang them posing as the houseowner (which i was, technically!), cancelled the service. result, no more literature.

don't know if it inconvenienced anyone, don't particularly care, its their own fault for not getting their stuff in order.

pompeygazza

Author: himpantsou Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 244560 of 391598
Subject: Re: Post for previous home owner Date: 28/12/2007 15:34
Mail it back to them using one of their prepaid envelopes with a note telling them that the person has moved and if they continue to send spam mail then you will continue to do the same. It will cost a considerable amount in post office fees for them to have the catalogue posted back to them.

I did it to Capital One credit cards and never heard from them again ;)

Author: Satsumaa Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 244563 of 391598
Subject: Re: Post for previous home owner Date: 28/12/2007 15:41
Mail it back to them using one of their prepaid envelopes with a note telling them that the person has moved and if they continue to send spam mail then you will continue to do the same

I did that for 3 years and nothing worked - it is nothing to them in the grand scheme of things. I sent letters to the person who'd "signed" the junk mail, didn't work. I phoned up and tried to stop it and they had not a clue. Then they told me to walk into my local Post Office and tell the postmaster I didn't want their letters (not sure why on earth they thoughtthat would work). Then they told me I'd have to sign up to MPS to stop JUST their mail. They will not put you through to the marketing people responsibile for data management and list buying. They are cretins.

So I did the digging - which took FOREVER (they are very keen on hiding information) and sent an extremely forceful email to Brian Sullivan. About a week later, all sorted.

Sats

Author: Terrapin1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 244571 of 391598
Subject: Re: Post for previous home owner Date: 28/12/2007 17:43
Recommendations: 2
I told Readers Digest I would charge storage, for any future letters, in the amount of £200 per week, and their persistence would be deemed acceptance of the terms offered-that worked.

Author: MaryH282 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 244573 of 391598
Subject: Re: Post for previous home owner Date: 28/12/2007 18:11
I have just been reading "Talk to the Hand" by Lynn Truss who tells how she read of a guy in the US who spent his time returning junk mail in the prepaid envelopes with strips of metal etc enclosed to make the letters heavier - causing extra postage costs to the companies. They apparently got the message eventually.

Don't know if this would work for business reply paid envelopes in the UK but it made me smile!

Author: Slarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 244574 of 391598
Subject: Re: Post for previous home owner Date: 28/12/2007 18:27
Does anyone have any ideas how I can convinve SKY that the previous owner no longer lives here?

Not over the phone, that's for sure.

Having read the thread, you can't send it back using the reply paid envelope, because there is not one.

But you could write to Sky, recorded delivery, informing them that as they are sending unsolicited goods to you you are going to charge them a handling fee, for your wasted time, of £50 per issue, and then return any further ones in "your" envelope with an invoice for £50.

Or you could just phone their customer service, give them your postcode and ask to cancel the contract at your address. Use the name and address on the Sky magazine to complete the transaction. Do NOT say that you are the new owner of the property.

Or you could use the same details to complain that your Sky is not working. Then when they come to check and find no dish ...

Slarti

Author: NuttyNikky Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 244586 of 391598
Subject: Re: Post for previous home owner Date: 28/12/2007 23:06
Or you could just phone their customer service, give them your postcode and ask to cancel the contract at your address. Use the name and address on the Sky magazine to complete the transaction. Do NOT say that you are the new owner of the property.

It doesn't work I've tried that, and they wouldn't change any details on the account without me giving the "password". I suppose you could tell them that you've forgotten the password and ask them to mail it to you?

Nikky

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread