UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: hypalot Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 389170  
Subject: Permitted hours for noisy building work Date: 12/05/2008 10:06
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A couple of doors down Polish buiders are working on a house. During the week its fine if they work late, but on a rare nice Saturday evening is it permitted to work until 9pm when everyone else is trying to enjoy a barbie in the garden?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AllYourBase Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 256032 of 389170
Subject: Re: Permitted hours for noisy building work Date: 12/05/2008 10:13
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
It sounds reasonable enough, although perhaps annoying. Speak to your local council.

Greg.

Author: URRZZ Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 256036 of 389170
Subject: Re: Permitted hours for noisy building work Date: 12/05/2008 10:47
Recommendations: 1
Speak to your local council.

Or alternatively speak to or write to the owner of the house in question, asking politely if it would be possible for them to arrange for the noise to be kept at a minimum during the weeekends - particuarly in the evenings.

Author: Firethorne Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 256043 of 389170
Subject: Re: Permitted hours for noisy building work Date: 12/05/2008 11:03
Call the Council - Environmental Health and ask there.

I believe there are weekend restrictions in some areas, like, "up to noon on Saturday" - something like that.

Author: Precinct13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 256063 of 389170
Subject: Re: Permitted hours for noisy building work Date: 12/05/2008 12:56
No it is not allowed for builders to create noise audible beyond the perimeter of the property outside of roughly M-F 8.30-6pm and Saturday 9-1pm. I am erring on the side of caution in what I am quoting, as I do not recall precise timings off the top of my head.

Google for your council website, and look at Environmental Health/ Noise.

Author: Weath Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 256071 of 389170
Subject: Re: Permitted hours for noisy building work Date: 12/05/2008 13:15
Recommendations: 1
It really depends on what you mean by "builders" and the the scale of the work being undertaking

If they are owners of the property and/or just doing DIY type work, then there is effectivley little control over times of noise and any action would be investigated under statutory nuisance legislation (Environmental Protection Act 1990, Section 79/80)

If however they are contractors, then typical guidelines (and ones we tend to stipulate) tend to follow 08:00-17:00 (7:30-16:30) Mon-Fri, 08:00-12:00/13:00 Sat. No working on Sundays or bank holidays.

Action to control noise in a 'contractros' situation can also be taken under the EPA but a quicker remedy is often to use the Control of Pollution Act (CoPA) 1974.

Weath.
(Env Health)

Author: Jan001 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 256095 of 389170
Subject: Re: Permitted hours for noisy building work Date: 12/05/2008 16:13
No it is not allowed for builders to create noise audible beyond the perimeter of the property outside of roughly M-F 8.30-6pm and Saturday 9-1pm. I am erring on the side of caution in what I am quoting, as I do not recall precise timings off the top of my head.

Google for your council website, and look at Environmental Health/ Noise.

The times when work is allowed may well be a restriction written into the planning permission for the building work - in which case the OP might be able to look that up on the council website too?

Jan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread