UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: KissxOfxDeath Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 95204  
Subject: People parking in front of my garage Date: 21/02/2008 16:01
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Prompted by the thread on the BoB regarding people turning in the driveway, I was wondering if anyone had any practical advice regarding something that happens a couple of times a week to me and is incredibly annoying.

I have a garage at the back of my property which fronts directly onto a road. There is a dropped kerb with "NO PARKING" clearly written on the pavement and the garage itself has "No Parking" signed clearly on it. We frequently have people from the local church parking in the space without any concern or consideration for us trying to get in or out. It is REALLY annoying.

Is there anything I can do?

I have considered trying to get in touch with a local clamping firm or local traffic wardens etc but any tips will be most appreciated.

KoD
Print the post Back To Top
Author: freda42 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48414 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 21/02/2008 16:03
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Have you tried contacting the church and asking them to make an announcement about considerate local parking? Or passing the registration numbers to the church to ask them to have a quiet word? You never know, the culprits may be oblivious to the fact that they are causing a problem. On the whole, church goers are usually a fairly considerate lot, I think.

Author: mutantpoodle Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48415 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 21/02/2008 16:20
or speak to your council and get some yellow lines (2) painted on the road as appropriate

if its your garage they should be willing to do this

mind it may take forever.........lack of resources dont you know!

Author: Runemage Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48416 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 21/02/2008 16:39
Recommendations: 17
I second the contact the church and ask them to have a word approach in the first instance.

If that doesn't work, I suggest you try the LBYM approach and paint the second symbol from the top from this page
http://www.exposingsatanism.org/signsymbols.htm
on your garage door, use very runny red paint, make it very large and sign it with your Foolname.

Rune

Author: SON1C Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48419 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 21/02/2008 17:10
Recommendations: 9
Hi KoD

Here is a remedy that I find works extremely well.

You know those little sticky labels that come on a roll? they are about 3" x 1.5"

Plaster a few of these over the windscreen and write on them, please observe the no parking sign

They are an absolute bastard to get off glass

:O)

Cheers - Col

Author: berkstunt Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48421 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 21/02/2008 17:31
or speak to your council and get some yellow lines (2) painted on the road as appropriate

This is your only realistic option, IMO.

If there is no parking control in the area, you might have to get your existing dropped kerb normalised by way of Planning Permission, involving a fee of course. When this is obtained you would have the right to some double yellows painted.
If parking control is imminent, all existing entrances and dropped kerbs will be given the lines automatically.
Until there are double yellow lines, or some other authoritative restriction, there is nothing to stop anyone legally parking right across your entrance.

Author: pochisoldi Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48422 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 21/02/2008 17:31
Recommendations: 1
Here is a remedy that I find works extremely well.

You know those little sticky labels that come on a roll? they are about 3" x 1.5"

Plaster a few of these over the windscreen and write on them, please observe the no parking sign

Criminal Damage - Way to go!

PochiSoldi

Author: SON1C Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48424 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 21/02/2008 19:31
Recommendations: 5

Absolute cobblers

Cheers - Col

Author: pochisoldi Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48428 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 21/02/2008 20:38

Absolute cobblers

Next thing you'll be telling me that letting the car tyres down isn't criminal damage either.

PochiSoldi

Author: thoughtso One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48429 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 21/02/2008 21:03
Recommendations: 2
Take a piece of cling-film, rather smaller than the driver's door panel of the offending vehicle.

Pin it up to a more or less vertical out-door surface, with a few sheets of newspaper behind to protect vertical surface from accidents.

With an aerosol of colour chosen to contrast well with offending vehicle, spray the message of your choice,
but preferably a courteous one, onto the cling-film.

Let it dry thoroughly - it may be better to prepare one earlier.

Approach offending vehicle and gently spread cling-film bearing slogan onto door panel.

Providing that panel is clean, cling-film will effectively disappear, leaving your slogan apparently sprayed onto door,
but of course the cling-film and message can be peeled off in seconds.

After this, it is up to you and you use this method entirely at your own risk. But beware that your action can provoke strong reactions.

Once I opined 'driver is a thoughtless pratt' but I put it on the passenger door and not the driver's door of a local delivery van.
It took him almost a week to notice it.

Since this is the Legal Issues board, can anyone tell me whether or not this proceedure is legal?

Author: AlderPoint Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48433 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 21/02/2008 22:54

They can be removed with no trace (with a little effort), so what damage is being caused???

[I'm often tempted to use this method with cars parked on pavements: a few stickers with "Pavements are for Pedestrians" should persuade the driver not to intrude onto the pavement again.]

Author: Scott0966 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48434 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 21/02/2008 23:02
Next thing you'll be telling me that letting the car tyres down isn't criminal damage either.

Well as a recent victim of this which escalated to someone putting a knife through my tyres, I can assure you the police will do absolutely nothing about it.

Author: Jockblue Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48441 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 22/02/2008 11:57
Recommendations: 2

Col - there's been a big argument near to me at a Metrolink station, where the residents were excluded from the residents parking zone and found themselves with lots of cars parked outside their homes. They adopted the policy you did, with the same effect that stickers applied to windscreens were very difficult to get off.. The police were involved, and told the residents to back off as it could be construed as criminal damage. There's a big difference between a note under the windscreen wiper and something that requires time and soapy water to remove, and that's where the line was drawn.

Incidentally, the residents were in uproar as a new multi-storey was built close byy for Metro customers. As is usual with the joined-up thinking of today, the powers that be imposed a £12 per day charge on the car park, which needless to say is somewhat empty!

Cheers
jb

Author: YorPa Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48442 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 22/02/2008 12:02
There is a dropped kerb

A thread from a couple of days ago "Willful obstruction" http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=10932437&sort=whole#10932523
states :

“….The Traffic Management Act 2004, which crept onto the statute books with little debate, is mainly about regulating road works, scaffolding, and the powers of traffic wardens. But tucked away towards the end is a section containing a couple of clauses you may not be aware of.

It's now illegal to park next to a dropped kerb, for instance. Exceptions are:

When you're in a parking space
When you're parked outside residential premises with the consent of the occupier of the premises -- as long as you're not paying for parking.
When loading or unloading for 20 minutes or less.
Works such as gas and water, or road works.
It's an armed forces vehicle -- so a parking a tank across your neighbour's driveway is OK
Double parking is also now illegal -- you've got to be within 50 cm of the kerb. Exceptions are as above, although the law does allow you to stop to allow people in and out of the car.

Fixed penalties could be up to £80……………”

I'd follow up on this route.

Author: Galst0nian Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48443 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 22/02/2008 12:54
you've got to be within 50 cm of the kerb

I'm sure that can be challenged on the basis of sexual discrimination.

;o)

Author: Stewamax Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48444 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 22/02/2008 13:54
you've got to be within 50 cm of the kerb
Hmmm...I thought distances (as opposed to sizes of signs etc) along highways has to be in imperial measure...

Author: SON1C Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48445 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 22/02/2008 13:55

That's right, it isn't!

Cheers - Col

Author: cou Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48448 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 22/02/2008 15:56
If you have any students in the household, you could borrow a couple of traffic bollards form their room and leave these at th ebottom of your driveway.

Author: DarkHorse1978 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48449 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 22/02/2008 21:14
Hehehe...

I like Col's idea best. It could be construed as criminal damage (it takes significant time and/or money to put right, therefore could constitute 'damage') but it would be a bloody hard-up police officer to actually pursue that as a job! It's also the approach I might take... ;)

Or you could adopt the tactics of someone who lives near me, who was evidently experiencing the same problem with the same car on a regular basis - once saw a crudely written sign on the windscreen saying "If this f**king car is parked across this f*cking driveway ever again, I will smash it to f*cking pices." - also an offence of Threats to Commit Criminal Damage, but I've never seen that car blocking the driveway since!

As for more down-to-earth solutions - report it to the copshop as an ongoing community problem, and insist on seeing the local officer. Tell them that by blocking the lowered kerb access to your garage, the offending vehicles are technically blocking the public highway, and therefore the Rozzers should be obliged to act. (The kerb is presumably council/public property, and consitutes part of the 'road' in the legal sense of the word. It being lowered shows that it is, by design, intended to be driven across - as it the section of pavement between the garage door and the offending vehicle. This is reinforced by the painted signs - therefore anyone parking on it is blocking a legitimate section of the highway.)

The cops may or may not take you on, depends on their own view.

Having said all that, I'd approach the boss of the church (Vicar? Priest? Dunno, I'm not a follower) and ask him/her to make an announcement after a busy sermon. It's a perfectly reasonable request, and I expect that church-goers are the sort of people to respond favourably to it.

Author: KissxOfxDeath Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48476 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 24/02/2008 22:42
Thanks for all the advice.

I agree with those who think that stickers would constitute criminal damage. I think it would.

I liked the clingfilm idea but a little too petty.

The one I am going to pursue is the idea that it is an offence to park at a lowered kerb which I plan to pursue by collaring the next PCSO that I come across and finding out who I can call to get a parking ticket issued as and when necessary. Historically I have called the police but they are not usually that helpful, especially if you are blocked out rather than blocked in.

For the poster who suggested that "having a word with the priest" might work, that provoked a somewhat hollow laugh I am afraid. 99 times out of a 100 (and we are way beyond 100 times now), the culprit is indeed a member of the congregation of one of the myriad "church" services (for which read screaming banshee devil exorcism - if I ever saw it being done to a child, Id call social services) that take place in one of three buildings by my garage that seem to house any number of different groups of complete weirdos. Repeated requests to make announcements or stop the habit have gone entirely ignored. Walking into some of these ceremonies is an experience in itself. Incense, people gabbling madly, screeching "priests", the whole gamut of terrifying mind control that passes for religion. Fair gives me the shivers. Those who know me know I have little if any time for religion - which predates this situation by years - but I doubt even the most evangelical of actual Christians could witness some of this stuff without at least a pang of concern and if I had had any lingering sympathy for religion, this would definitely put paid to it. I used to take pleasure in deliberately "breaking" the atmosphere - which kind of happens anyway to the extent that they notice you - but now I just motion to anyone loitering at the edge (and there is always someone) to come and sort out the problem.

Anyway, rant over. I hope the ticketing option is a goer because we are sick to death of the whole selfish lot of them.

KoD

Author: berkstunt Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48489 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 25/02/2008 15:28

This is your only realistic option, IMO.

If there is no parking control in the area, you might have to get your existing dropped kerb normalised by way of Planning Permission, involving a fee of course. When this is obtained you would have the right to some double yellows painted.
If parking control is imminent, all existing entrances and dropped kerbs will be given the lines automatically.
Until there are double yellow lines, or some other authoritative restriction, there is nothing to stop anyone legally parking right across your entrance.

Above comment, posted earlier in the thread, is repeated not from arrogance, but from my actual personal experience in Brighton & Hove City not six months ago.

Author: wittyknickers Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48499 of 95204
Subject: Re: People parking in front of my garage Date: 25/02/2008 20:15
Hi KoD,

I'd recommend getting in touch with your local council. We have a similar problem with our drive - we are one of very few houses with off street parking in our road, and many people park across our dropped kerb to the extent that we can't get the car off the drive.

We have been given the phone number for the parking attendants (a division of NCP) and so far, my experience of calling up to report numpty parking has been very good - typically the attendants turn up within 15 to 30 minutes, and will issue fixed penalties if appropriate.

Cheers,

Wittyknickers.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread