UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: UnclePhilip Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 78425  
Subject: Painting stone window cills Date: 30/10/2003 19:10
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Just wrapping up a late Victorian terraced house renovation (don't tell the Property Markets Board, but there are waiting tenants and the rent is going up 25% from this summer....)

Anyway, there are 7 stone external window cills. They have rather nice ornamental scroll corbels, are flaky, peeling white paintwork. I hadn't planned doing anything with them, but you know what happens, clean windows, everything else spruced up, they look tatty, and could look lovely.

My question is, what sort of paint do you suggest?

Uncle
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jacsom Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15767 of 78425
Subject: Re: Painting stone window cills Date: 30/10/2003 20:39
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Stone window cills are lovely. Can you remove the paint? They would look better and it would be less maintenance.

js.

Author: UnclePhilip Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15768 of 78425
Subject: Re: Painting stone window cills Date: 30/10/2003 21:10
Dear jacsom,

Stone window cills are lovely. Can you remove the paint? They would look better and it would be less maintenance.

Blimey, that's a lot of work!

Er, I mean, they're nice, but not that nice....

All the neighbouring ones are painted, as well....

Uncle

Author: martint123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15769 of 78425
Subject: Re: Painting stone window cills Date: 30/10/2003 22:13
I used garage floor paint - waterproof, tough, sticks well - not a huge choice of colours though.

Author: djalan Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15770 of 78425
Subject: Re: Painting stone window cills Date: 30/10/2003 23:14
Someone up the road from us has recently had their w/sill painted

Undercoat & full gloss paint
Red and looks very nice!

Author: ExTeacher Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15771 of 78425
Subject: Re: Painting stone window cills Date: 31/10/2003 00:05
We have a house we rent out- Victorian terrace, aimed at young professionals, you know the score- anyway, I had a similar problem when doing the outside of ours, and to be honest, all I did on the front and back was wire brush them down, then repaint with a tin of white masonry paint from my local DIY shop- looks fine, it was cheap, and will last a few years as well.

Author: TheBooks Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15772 of 78425
Subject: Re: Painting stone window cills Date: 31/10/2003 08:12
Masonry paint is fine. You can get it mixed to any colour you wish at the big stores. My wife has just finished painting a mural using a vast array of colours mixed up at the big B&Q warehouse.
Then again you probably just want them to be white!
Cheers
The Books

Author: garchiba Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15774 of 78425
Subject: Re: Painting stone window cills Date: 31/10/2003 10:07
I painted our stone windowsills & lintels last weekend as they looked a bit tatty. Preparation is key - scrape off all peeling paint and sand well with a rough paper. Then 2 coats of undercoat and 2 coats of gloss, sanding with fine paper after each coat (bar the last). This should be good for 2-3 years on our house, and was a days work.

Greg.

Author: Kegsey Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15779 of 78425
Subject: Re: Painting stone window cills Date: 31/10/2003 17:10
As said previously, preparation is the key. I painted mine with normal undercoat and gloss and it lasted for 7 years or so before needing repainting. This is on a south facing house too.

Kegsey

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread