UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Kinkygirlinky Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 78023  
Subject: Painting eggshell over gloss Date: 19/08/2010 11:15
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,

I am currently painting my entire house & have done all the ceilings & most of the walls. My next job is the woodwork (for which I normally 'get someone in'), but I thought I might give it a go. Do I need to rub down all the paintwork to get a good KEY or will sugar soap suffice. The current gloss paint on the woodwork was applied 9 years ago and is good condition.

There's a young polish guy doing a very good paint job on a property just down the road, but he's very slow (he's a real perfectionist) and he mentioned undercoating all the wood first. Does it really need it?

Kinks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MrMiggins Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64247 of 78023
Subject: Re: Painting eggshell over gloss Date: 19/08/2010 11:50
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have eggshell over gloss in my hall. We didn't undercoat/sand/do anything other than sugar soap it. Every time something knocks it it flakes off, showing the horrible gloss underneith, so we're continually touching it up. So my advice would be to do what he suggests.

Author: IsleofWightPete Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64248 of 78023
Subject: Re: Painting eggshell over gloss Date: 19/08/2010 13:58
Recommendations: 1
Do I need to rub down all the paintwork to get a good KEY or will sugar soap suffice. The current gloss paint on the woodwork was applied 9 years ago and is good condition.

There's a young polish guy doing a very good paint job on a property just down the road, but he's very slow (he's a real perfectionist) and he mentioned undercoating all the wood first. Does it really need it?

You can cut all sorts of corners, but it will be an inferior job, and will not look as good or last as long (or on outside paintwork, won't protect the wood properly).

Rub down thoroughly to provide a key, undercoat and then gloss (or two !!)

Author: jc558 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64252 of 78023
Subject: Re: Painting eggshell over gloss Date: 19/08/2010 17:05
Agree with both the other replies.

Presumably the eggshell is for aesthetic reasons? I've used it in the past, but it is much more prone to chipping than gloss.

If you don't prep properly (sand/wash/undercoat) you will always regret it.

Author: Kinkygirlinky Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64254 of 78023
Subject: Re: Painting eggshell over gloss Date: 20/08/2010 10:52
Thanks for the replies...thought i might get away with minimal prep, but it seems like undercoating is needed for eggshell :(

Presumably the eggshell is for aesthetic reasons

Yes, I prefer a matt finish to gloss on interior woodwork & we don't have kids or indoor pets so it seems to last ok.

Oh I hate painting woodwork...might get the decorator in after all.

Kinks

Author: meldrewreborn Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64255 of 78023
Subject: Re: Painting eggshell over gloss Date: 20/08/2010 14:45
Recommendations: 1
I've recently used dulux eggshell and am really pleased with it. It gives a very fine flat surface and doesn't show brush strokes as much as gloss. (Of course to get a fine flat finish you need a fine flat surface to cover - see preparation below!)

The dulux egshell says on the tin that it is a self undercoating paint so in theory it doesn't need an undercoat. However, as others have commented it is prone to chipping (because it goes on in thinner coats?) and I would also comment that it doesn't cover as well as dulux gloss, so is more likely to need 2 coats. Where I've given two coats the finish is noticeably shinier that the one coat areas, although still miles from a gloss finish. I've also noticed that one 2.5Lt tin has covered a huge area, which backs up my thinner coats theory.

So I suppose it depends on what colour you are using and what colour you are covering. Also, given the fine finish eggshell provides, you will probably want to have a very well prepared surface to paint on. Therefore i'd rub down well (my prefence is to use wet and dry paper using a bowl of water (add a little sugar soap to cut any grease) to rinse your block and paper(keeps dust to a minimum and gives superb surface for painting). Then to apply a suitably coloured undercoat and then 2 coats of eggshell. Eggshell also seemed to be a much easier and quicker paint to work with and more forgiving than gloss, so perhaps better for a novice to apply.

As always with painting, good preparation takes time and effort, but the end result is so so much better than you get from rushed / slapdash or no preparation. If you live in a property for a long time, each time you decorate the paintwork becomes smoother and smoother due to the cumulative effects of the rubbing down - its something even visitors notice!

Author: Kinkygirlinky Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64257 of 78023
Subject: Re: Painting eggshell over gloss Date: 21/08/2010 14:56
The dulux egshell says on the tin that it is a self undercoating paint so in theory it doesn't need an undercoat

Yes, I've been told by the Dulux trade technical helpline that their eggshell and satinwood are self undercoating.

As always with painting, good preparation takes time and effort, but the end result is so so much better than you get from rushed / slapdash or no preparation.

I totally agree, which is why I normally prefer to paint ceilings and walls myself if I have the time. I enjoy it & I resent paying someone who'll end up doing a worse job than I can do myself. Woodwork is another matter, I normally wimp out and get someone in while I crack on with other jobs that need doing round the house & garden.

I suppose it depends on what colour you are using and what colour you are covering.

The new woodwork colour is going to be Natural Calico (which makes a change as I usually paint 10B15) & it's replacing white gloss

Time to be brave...I'm going to give it a go in the spare bedroom first to see how I get on and if the finish is good enough continue with the rest of the house

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread