UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tjh290633 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60729  
Subject: Re: Options Date: 29/02/2012 11:16
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My father is a couple of years from retirement , he currently has a final salary scheme and a smaller stakeholder pension, when he elects to take benefits is he able to effectively combine the 2 pots , my thinking is if possible it would be better to take his tax free lump sum using all the stakeholder pot and making the balance up from the final salary pot as this would give him the best return and not tie his money up in an annuity.

Is this possible?

Also would there be any complications caused if he moved the stakeholder pension into a SIPP for the 5 years or so he has until retirement.

I don't think that there is any way that he can combine the two do do what you want. As far as I know, that can only be done with an AVC linked to the final salary scheme. Presumably the commutation rate is so low as to be not worth taking a lump sum from the final salary scheme.

But which is his current active scheme? If it is the final salary scheme, then ask the scheme administrators if anything can be done.

I don't see any complications in moving the stakeholder into a SIPP. I would have thought that it could be a sensible move.

TJH
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Warning about early pension release schemes
The FSA says "There is a high chance that these are scams trying to con you out of your money."
Free Investing Reports
Download these free Motley Fool reports today.
The Pensions Crisis
We have a separate board called Pensions - Motivation and Policy. If you want a general discussion of the relative merits of pensions or to talk about the "Pensions Crisis" that is the place for the discussion.