UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Hels50 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59006  
Subject: Mary Berry Magimix cake recipe? Date: 18/07/2008 10:46
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I wonder if anyone can help me as I'm meeting a brick wall on any searches I've done so far. When my children were young, I used to cook a wonderful chocolate cake recipe called 'Rich Moist Chocolate Cake' which I got from a Magimix spiral-bound cookery book called 'Cake Making with Mary Berry'. I think the book originally came free with the Magimix and I understand it was originally published in 1981. As my children grew up and after several house moves, I stopped making cakes and the book got mislaid. And now, my children are grown up with children of their own - and they all want to make that particular chocolate cake! I've tried Amazon and it's out of print, I've tried out-of-print booksellers to no avail, I've tried contacting Magimix and they don't have a copy either.

Is there anyone out reading this board, I wonder, who happens to have a copy of this particular recipe? I recall it had golden syrup as one of the ingredients and the icing was made from cocoa, milk and sieved icing sugar. I'd be delighted if anyone is able to help.

Helen
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ThalasGair Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38416 of 59006
Subject: Re: Mary Berry Magimix cake recipe? Date: 18/07/2008 11:24
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Could this be it?
Mands

Chocolate Fudge Cake

Ingredients:

2 eggs
¼ pint (150ml) sunflower oil
¼ pint (150ml) milk
2 tablespoons golden syrup
5oz (150g) caster sugar
61/2oz (190g) self-raising flour
1oz (25g) cocoa
1 level teaspoon baking powder
1 level teaspoon bicarb.

Fudge Icing:
2oz margerine
1oz cocoa
3 tbsp milk
8oz icing sugar

Found online here - http://www.weirdlist.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=840&p=400...

Author: petebeale Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38417 of 59006
Subject: Re: Mary Berry Magimix cake recipe? Date: 18/07/2008 11:46
Hi Hels,

I've got a Mary Berry' cake book at home, I'll have a look over the weekend see if it differs from Mands recipe :-)

Best wishes

Pete

Author: Hels50 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38419 of 59006
Subject: Re: Mary Berry Magimix cake recipe? Date: 18/07/2008 13:11
Could this be it?
Mands

Thank you so much Mands, that looks like the one! You're obviously a lot better at internet searches than me. My daughters will be delighted as they have been trying to find this recipe for a while, too.

I do recall the recipe calling for milk and oil, which is a bit unusual. I think I used to put all the other ingredients into the magimix, then while they were processing, I added the milk and oil together through the funnel. For the icing, I used butter instead of margarine. I melted the butter, stirred in the cocoa, cooked it together for a minute, then away from the heat I added the 3 tbs. milk (otherwise it tended to separate). Then I sieved the icing sugar before adding it.

The wonderful thing about this recipe is that it always worked out well. I think I'll have a go at making it right now!

Helen

Author: Hels50 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38420 of 59006
Subject: Re: Mary Berry Magimix cake recipe? Date: 18/07/2008 13:17
I've got a Mary Berry' cake book at home, I'll have a look over the weekend see if it differs from Mands recipe :-)

Thanks Pete, I feel really irritated with myself now that I shelled out a fiver on ebay for one of Mary Berry's cake books (I think it's called 'Fast Cakes') in the hope that it might contain 'the one' and then realised I could have got it for 1p on Amazon! Never mind though, it looks like I have finally found the right recipe anyway now. I gather Mary Berry has written quite a few cake books so maybe the one you have is a different one? I'd be interested to know, either way so thanks.

This seems to be a friendly board, I haven't posted here before, but will definitely be popping in again. And I'll report back on how my chocolate cake turned out!

Helen

Author: Diziet Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38421 of 59006
Subject: Re: Mary Berry Magimix cake recipe? Date: 18/07/2008 13:18
I think I will try it too, it sounds brilliant!

And what a response! This is a brilliant board, when Hels can say "I had this brilliant choc cake recipe with golden syrup in it' and Mands comes in with the goods in no time at all. Wow!

Author: Alikins Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42053 of 59006
Subject: Re: Mary Berry Magimix cake recipe? Date: 29/04/2009 23:02
Recommendations: 1
I have just bought a new Magimix and was searching my old cookery books and have found the one you were after. It is called Rich Moist Chocolate Cake

6 and half oz Plain Flour
2 level tablespoons Cocoa
1 level tsp bicarb of soda
1 level tsp baking powder
5 oz caster sugar
2 level tablespoons golden syrup
2 large eggs
quart pint salad or corn oil
quart pint milk

Fudge Icing
2 oz butter
4 level tablespoons cocoa
3 tablespoons milk
5 oz sieved icing sugar

Grease and line two 8 inch sandwich tins, heat oven to 170 deg or gas 3. Using metal blade sift together flour, cocoa, bicarb and baking powder. Add sugar and syrup and then lightly beaten eggs. Put on cover without the white pusher, switch on and pour the oil and milk, mixed, down the funnel into bowl. Mix for further 5 secs after adding all liquid. Turn into the tins and bake 30-35 mins until springy. Leave to cool.

For Icing melt the butter i a pan, add cocoa, stir to blend and cook 1 in. Stir in milk and icing sugar, and mixt to smooth. Leave to cool and thicken. Spread half between the two cakes and the remainder on top, decorate with grated choc or flakes. Enjoy!

Sounds yummy, will give it a go myself.

Author: robinstarch Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43816 of 59006
Subject: Re: Mary Berry Magimix cake recipe? Date: 28/09/2009 09:34
Sorry to drag up an old thread again but...! My mother is convinced that there was a great recipe for banana bread/cake in this cook book and she can't find a copy anywhere. I don't suppose any kind soul with a copy might have a moment to have a look? I'm sure my mother would be eternally grateful (and me too as I'll be eating it)!

Archie

Author: petebeale Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43828 of 59006
Subject: Re: Mary Berry Magimix cake recipe? Date: 28/09/2009 16:12
Hi Archie,

I'll have a look tonight and let you know ;-)

Author: SJL71 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51221 of 59006
Subject: Re: Mary Berry Magimix cake recipe? Date: 27/02/2011 15:55
Hi All

I too have a similar recipe search from my Mum's Magimix book - which has been mislaid over the years.

I have made a courgette cake a few times (using veg oil) and it was one of the best cakes that I ever made in the Magimix - can anyone please help by providing this recipe if they are lucky to have an original recipe book from the mid to late 80's?

Many thanks for your time and help.

Scott

Author: maman23 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52910 of 59006
Subject: Re: Mary Berry Magimix cake recipe? Date: 23/08/2011 12:16
My greatest regret is losing my Mary Berry recipe book for Magimix cakes during a move - but many thanks for posting the chocolate recipe, It is quite perfect!

I can't bring myself to pay £40 plus for what was originally a free book although I know each recipe is excellent.

I don't suppose you have the recipe for the Lemon Drizzle Cake do you, please?

I have found my cake making experiences with my Magimix using other recipes just not successful.

By the way - I used to convert the above into tray bakes of chocolate squares which were always successful with children - and helped to make it last longer.

Author: Alikins Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53054 of 59006
Subject: Re: Mary Berry Magimix cake recipe? Date: 05/09/2011 23:15
I have the book here now and the only the recipe which almost fits the bill is:
Crunchy Lemon Squares
4 oz Soft Margarine
6 oz SR Flour
1 level tsp baking powder
6 oz caster sugar
2 large eggs
4 tbsp milk
finely grated rind of 1 lemon

Icing
Juice of 1 lemon
4 oz granulated sugar

makes about 12 squares

heat oven to 350 F 180 C or gas 4
Grease and line bottom of oblong tin 7 x 9 x 1 inch with greased greaseproof paper.
Using Metal knife. Put all ingredients into bowl and process slowly for 10 seconds. Remove cover and scrape sides down. Replace cover and process further 5 seconds. Turn mixture into prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake in centre of oven for about 50 mins. or until cake pale golden and slightly shrunk from sides of tin and springy when pressed with finger in centre. While cake is baking stir together the lemon juice and sugar for icing. Spoon over hot cake then leave to cool. Cut into squares.

Author: RepatSpouse Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53057 of 59006
Subject: Re: Mary Berry Magimix cake recipe? Date: 06/09/2011 07:28
if you google Mary Berry Lemon drizzle cake, you will get plenty of hits. Have a look through to see which one looks like the recipe you remember.

Repat S

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread