UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SON1C Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 389443  
Subject: Lux soap flakes Date: 22/01/2010 22:39
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
DAK whether these are still in production? and if so DAK where I can buy them?

Cheers - Col
Print the post Back To Top
Author: IShallWearPurple Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302327 of 389443
Subject: Re: Lux soap flakes Date: 22/01/2010 22:45
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hi Col,

I'm pretty sure that they are no longer about. Boots do an own brand soap flake, and Tesco sell something called 'Grannie's Soap Flakes' - either of these any good as an alternative?

ISWP :-)

Author: stompa Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302328 of 389443
Subject: Re: Lux soap flakes Date: 22/01/2010 22:51
Recommendations: 2
DAK whether these are still in production?

Discontinued I'm afraid:

http://www.soap-flakes.com/history.html

Stompa

Author: IsleofWightPete Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302337 of 389443
Subject: Re: Lux soap flakes Date: 23/01/2010 12:01
Recommendations: 1
DAK where I can buy them?

They are no longer made because there is almost no job where they were still the best solution!

They were essentially flakes of normal soap, and an almost identical alternative can be made with a cheese grater and a bar of your favourite mild soap. But it doesn't clean at all well, it is difficult to dissolve in cool water, and it is very difficult to rinse thoroughly from the garments (especially wool), all of which were the problems of Lux flakes.

Dreft is a light duty detergent designed for fine fabrics, but cleans better and rinses easily, and is still generally available. There are also many handwash liquids which are much easier to dissolve for handwash. Or Fairy Liquid which is an excellent general detergent.

If it was for a different purpose, tell us what and I may be able to suggest another suitable alternative.

Or, if you absolutely must have Lux for some obscure reason, ask around elderly female acquantances. Someone is bound to have an unfinished box at the back of the cupboard under the sink.

Author: SON1C Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302341 of 389443
Subject: Re: Lux soap flakes Date: 23/01/2010 14:38
Thanks everyone

Pete, I have a cream coloured leather suite which needs cleaning and I was told that the best thing for it was lux flakes but I couldnt find any, anywhere.

Cheers - Col

Author: jc558 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302346 of 389443
Subject: Re: Lux soap flakes Date: 23/01/2010 15:11
Col: an ordinary bar of white soap works - probably easier than flakes. Just wet it, rub on and then clean off with a damp cloth.

Author: IsleofWightPete Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302348 of 389443
Subject: Re: Lux soap flakes Date: 23/01/2010 15:36
Col: an ordinary bar of white soap works - probably easier than flakes

And if that doesn't work, get some saddle soap from a good equestrian shop, or from eBay

Author: Runemage Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302350 of 389443
Subject: Re: Lux soap flakes Date: 23/01/2010 15:51
Recommendations: 2
And if that doesn't work, get some saddle soap from a good equestrian shop, or from eBay

I was going to suggest that and then found this article.

http://www.autogeek.net/nosasopl.html

Col, I think the best thing you can do is ask the manufacturers what's best to use, or ask in a small independently-run upholsterer's shop as they'll probably know what sort of leather it is - take a cushion in maybe - and be able to advise you on the right product to use.

Rune

Author: ThalasGair Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302351 of 389443
Subject: Re: Lux soap flakes Date: 23/01/2010 16:42
I have a cream coloured leather suite which needs cleaning and I was told that the best thing for it was lux flakes but I couldnt find any, anywhere.

We've got leather dining chairs and I keep those clean with a leather balsam. I can see how soap would work on the leather sofa but you'd then have to nourish the leather as well I guess? The balsam is intended to feed the leather, keeping it supple and stopping it splitting, but does a fairly good job removing any dust, dirt or other blemishes.

http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&...

Just an alternate approach if you can't get anywhere with the soap.

Mands

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread