UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: blackwhite Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6249  
Subject: Latest HYP Top-up spreadsheet link not working? Date: 20/10/2012 12:05
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello, the link from the right is not working for me, i.e. the page opens up but there is no spreadsheet showing for download.

Is it me?

B&W
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Staffordian Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5507 of 6249
Subject: Re: Latest HYP Top-up spreadsheet link not worki Date: 20/10/2012 12:31
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Same here. The hosted download links seem to expire after a while. With luck Itsallaguess will spot your post and upload it somewhere again.

HTH

Staffordian

Author: itsallaguess Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5509 of 6249
Subject: Re: Latest HYP Top-up spreadsheet link not worki Date: 21/10/2012 09:31
Yep, on mobile right now, but will sort out later today.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Author: itsallaguess Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5510 of 6249
Subject: Re: Latest HYP Top-up spreadsheet link not worki Date: 21/10/2012 12:45
Recommendations: 2
Hello, the link from the right is not working for me, i.e. the page opens up but there is no spreadsheet showing for download.

Is it me ?

Hi B&W,

The file download links seem to become obsolete after a while, but I've just uploaded the Excel v10.2 file again here if you want to download it :-

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22498673/HYP+Top-Up+Spreadshe...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Author: Cludgie Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5532 of 6249
Subject: Re: Latest HYP Top-up spreadsheet link not worki Date: 26/11/2012 04:21
Recommendations: 1
Hi Itsallaguess,

It seems that the link has stopped working again. I also see that gamefront has a new downloads policy. Does that have anything to do with it?

Cludgie

(Great software by the way)

Author: itsallaguess Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5533 of 6249
Subject: Re: Latest HYP Top-up spreadsheet link not worki Date: 26/11/2012 06:31
It seems that the link has stopped working again. I also see that gamefront has a new downloads policy. Does that have anything to do with it ?

Hi Cludgie,

I'm not registered (yet) with GameFront, so the 7-day inactivity rule will no doubt have been breached, meaning the file will have been deleted.

They change this to a 60-day inactivity rule with registered users, so I'll look into this either today or tomorrow and either find somewhere else to host it or register with the site to allow for a longer grace-period.

I've uploaded v10.2 again here as a temporary measure if you or anyone else wishes to have a copy :-

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22675200/HYP+Top-Up+Spreadshe...

Thanks for letting me know Cludgie.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Author: Cludgie Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5534 of 6249
Subject: Re: Latest HYP Top-up spreadsheet link not worki Date: 26/11/2012 15:15
Many thanks! I wish all (professional) software providers were this quick when dealing with issues!

Would DropBox, Box or one of the other cloud storage services not suit your needs?

Cludgie

Author: Pinchthepennies Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5553 of 6249
Subject: Re: Latest HYP Top-up spreadsheet link not worki Date: 31/12/2012 13:51
That's a great spreadsheet - have a rec!

Just a quick one: How often do you update the file? Where else, apart from GameFront, do you upload it?

Regards, Pinch

Author: itsallaguess Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5554 of 6249
Subject: Re: Latest HYP Top-up spreadsheet link not worki Date: 31/12/2012 17:00
That's a great spreadsheet - have a rec !

Just a quick one: How often do you update the file? Where else, apart from GameFront, do you upload it ?

Hi Pinch,

Thanks, I'm glad people find it useful.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'update the file'. If you mean upgrade the functionality, then not as often as I used to, but then it really does everything I wanted it to do now, and lots more besides, so I think it'd only really get a re-visit now if someone finds something wrong, and obviously then I'd be keen to fix that.

The main data sheet is written in such a way as to be user-servicable, so people can add or change details as they wish, which helps enormously and takes a big load off me in terms of maintenance, and gives a lot of flexibility to anyone using it, which is a win-win for me.

If you mean update the download location, then this is only really when I remember to or if someone asks for it to be renewed. I do want to get something sorted out where it can be hosted indefinitely, with only updates to the program being required, but I've just not got round to that at the moment as other priorities have taken over unfortunately.

I've just had a check though, and realised that it's expired again, so I've just uploaded it again and it can be downloaded using this link :-

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22802774/HYP+Top-Up+Spreadshe...

Thanks again Pinch, I hope you find it as useful as I do.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Author: Pinchthepennies Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5555 of 6249
Subject: Re: Latest HYP Top-up spreadsheet link not worki Date: 31/12/2012 19:24
Hi itsallaguess,
Thanks for your explanations - the main reason of me asking was that I wanted to post this in one of the Beginner's portfolio articles (Year-End Valuation) together with the download link.

As the saying goes "...every answer brings at least two new questions..." so here they are:

I've inputted the code for the two ETF's I am holding and the spreadsheet picks up the prices from Yahoo - no problem there. However, the forecast yield returns only ??? which then affects the Yield weighting / Weighting total and Top-Up Order formulas.

But, when I enter the yields manually then the rest of the spreadsheet works itself out just fine.

Do you know why it doesn't return the yields for the ETF's? Is it to do with the fact that they are only operating since May 2012? The ETF's in question are VGOV and VUKE.

And last but not least:

Happy New Year!

Regards, Pinch

Author: itsallaguess Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5556 of 6249
Subject: Re: Latest HYP Top-up spreadsheet link not worki Date: 31/12/2012 19:43
Recommendations: 1
Do you know why it doesn't return the yields for the ETF's? Is it to do with the fact that they are only operating since May 2012? The ETF's in question are VGOV and VUKE.

Hi Pinch,

The Forecast Yield figures are all taken from Digital Look where they're available, which they are for the vast majority of shares and Investment Trusts. Actually even the IT side of things is a little different, as they're current yields and not forecast yields, but I thought that was better than nothing and I can only really work with what's available in terms of fairly reliable free data-sources, and even Digital Look is a bit dodgy at times with some of their own figures.

Anyhow, that said, I've just taken a look at VGOV and VUKE and it's looking like the ETF side of things in terms of available data is different again, and their pages for these types of instruments don't contain any yield information at all.

Here's the two pages on Digital Look :-

VGOV - http://tinyurl.com/ayhboem

VUKE - http://tinyurl.com/aya9ade

So it looks like you're left with the manual-entry method which you've found already, which helps. I wrote the utility to throw the '????' markers in there where there were any yield-data issues, so the user could then use whatever other methods were available to come up with their own forecast-yield figure, which then allow the ranking methods to work as they should.

It's unfortunate that this is the case, but that's what's happening here I'm afraid. I hope that manually entering a couple of the figures doesn't spoil the use of the utility too much for you. If Digital Look were to alter their ETF data and start to include either current-yield or forecast-yield, then I'd be able to alter the utility to pull that data in, but if it's not there in the first place then we're a little stuck in these cases.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread