UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TheCurryMonster Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 24476  
Subject: Re: How little exercise do we need? Date: 16/02/2012 16:47
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've cut down my total gym time by doing interval bike training. 45 mins now, whereas I used to do an hour and a half.
Fitness levels much better....

whereas I've progressively increased my long run to currently around 18 - 20 miles in between 2:15 - 2:30 hours. I also do intervals mid-week and have increased the duration and intensity of those too.

My fitness levels are also much, much better, but it's the long runs that make the most difference to overall fitness IMHO. The intervals improve the capacity to run faster for longer, but ultimately I think it's the long stuff that makes the biggest difference to overall cardio-vascular fitness.

Without a doubt once running goes beyond about 2 hours the improvements in fitness are massive, but not everybody has the time or inclination to do it. Also It is horses for courses - if your measure of fitness is speed over 100m or the amount of weight you can deadlift, then going for a 20 mile run probably isn't going to help much...

Also, 45 minutes of quality hard intervals is probably much better than an hour and a half of average cycling. All of the cyclists I've known consider a 'long' ride to be 4 or 5 hours or more (compared to the 2+ hours that runners do for a 'long' run). I certainly don't get the same benefits from 2 hours cycling that I get from 2 hours running.

Unfortunately with running, the rate of injuries seems to increase exponentially with training time...
:-(
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Fitness FAQ
A quick introduction to this board, and to getting fitter.
Free Investing Reports
Download these free Motley Fool reports today.
Information on the 'Heartbleed' bug
So what is 'Heartbleed'? And what should you do?