UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: CaptainFlack Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59042  
Subject: Re: Big Fat Duck Cookbook Date: 19/01/2012 11:34
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 125
It is a wonderful gesture.

I know the rules state I can't win this as this is, I believe, my first post to this board, and I'm not a foodie, although I do appreciate good food, and only eat blue steak, however...

My son is 17 and is currently studying at college for catering qualifications. He is doing exams this week.

For years, I had big concerns about where he was heading in life, he had no passion for anything, didn't seem to have a clue what he would do in life, and was just muddling along. At one time I genuinely believed he was scrap heap material, and would be a burden on us for a long, long while.

Then quite by accident, during Year nine, one of the GCSE courses he chose was unavailable due to lack of interest, he didn't want to do anything else, and the school suggested he do GCSE catering.

Once he got in the kitchen, he found himself. There was an undiscovered passion for cooking that I genuinely didn't think would ever exist. He gets a big kick out of creating stuff and likes to see other people enjoying what he has cooked.

He was fortunate that some members of the family clubbed together and bought him a voucher to attend a one day taster session at Tante Marie, the world renouned school of cookery. This reinforced his passion, and thankfully for me, made him decide he wanted to be a chef rather than a cook.

He was fortunate that his GCSE results were good enough for him to bypass the first catering level of the NVQ and jump to level two. He has decided for his level three (which he'll begin this coming September) to focus on being a pastry chef.

I'm really grateful to his secondary school teacher who inspired him to follow this route. He has matured significantly, and I'm really proud of him. Still can't get him to eat vegtables though.

Cheers.

Capt. Flack
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Live To Eat
For more general discussion of food than recipes & cooking.
Information on the 'Heartbleed' bug
So what is 'Heartbleed'? And what should you do?