No. of Recommendations: 0
I was fortunate enough to be employed by a technology company during the bubble: one with a very generous incentive scheme, which was sadly paid in shares rather than hard cash. For a while I was rather rich, but then, as all bubbles must do, it all collapsed and I was out of a job and my paper wealth became.... paper.

Somewhat chagrined by this, I joined a small start up and we developed what would now be called a trading platform for businesses. Sadly that too went the way of most start-ups and my equity in that also evaporated (I still have the paper, just not the money).

Third time lucky, I joined another technology company and we thrived. This time I put my money in uncorrelated businesses and when the recession of 2008 deposited me on the pavement, I was in a much better position than before. So much so that by 2014 I was able to retire early, despite these various setbacks.

Katastrophe? Maybe, but also part of life's experience and a way to meet interesting people along the way.

Retirement is indeed a happy place to be - I recommend it!

Wow that almost exactly mirrors my career, have you been stalking me? (Or I you?) Worked in IT, made redundant a total of 5 times (1986, 1994, 2001, 2007, 2013), had shares and share options worth loads on paper that ended up almost worthless before I could cash in.

But still happily retired in 2014 at 53.

Scott.
Print the post  

Announcements

Closure of the UK Discussion Boards
The UK Discussion Boards are now closed to new posts.