UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Snorvey Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 78680  
Subject: How to turn hot water off? Date: 28/02/2009 17:28
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi folks

My mums got a dripping hot tap in her bathroom sink (its an older property btw), but I can't figure out how to turn the hot water off to let me open up the tap and change the washer.

She had gas central heating fitted a couple of years ago, it wasn't a combi style boiler (insufficient pressure apparantly), but a boiler that heats up the water a couple of times a day and stores it in a large tank underneath.

I can turn the cold off no problem (tap near the bathroom sink), but I cant find a tap anywhere to turn the hot water feed off. There is nothing obvious apart from a big tap near the ceiling of the boiler cupboard that I assume (as the pipe is cold) that this is the cold feed from the loft. There are loads of other pipes in the cupboard, some hot, some cold, but none have taps.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Snorvey
Print the post Back To Top
Author: loir Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57110 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 28/02/2009 17:38
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
There is nothing obvious apart from a big tap near the ceiling of the boiler cupboard that I assume (as the pipe is cold) that this is the cold feed from the loft.

That should be the cold feed from the tank in the loft. It should go into the base of the hot water cylinder. If you turn that off then that will stop the hot water and let you fix the tap washer.

Loir

Author: martint123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57111 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 28/02/2009 17:39
In our house there is no tap for the hot water. You have to either turn off the mains or tie up the ballcock in the header tank and then drain all that expensive hot water away.

The hot water cylinder is due to be replaced one of these days and stop taps will be added.

Author: richlist Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57112 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 28/02/2009 17:39
The stop valve for domestic hot water is not always a tap. Sometimes a check/ isolator valve is used.,

They can be quite difficult to spot but if you look for the hot feed out of the hot water cylinder it should be on that pipe. It just has a slot that takes a normal scredriver and you turn it 90 degrees to turn off the hot water.

Author: Snorvey Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57113 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 28/02/2009 17:48
Great stuff. I'll have a look again.

Elsewhere 'Pipefreeze' has been mentioned?

Anyone tried that?

Cheers

Snorvey

Author: loir Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57114 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 28/02/2009 17:54
Recommendations: 2
In our house there is no tap for the hot water. You have to either turn off the mains or tie up the ballcock in the header tank and then drain all that expensive hot water away.

Most hot water cylinders have the cold feed at the bottom and the hot comes out of the top. The hot water can't come out without the cold water pushing it out - if you follow me. No cold water coming in - then the hot just sits there.

So you have a very unusual system!

Loir

Author: WessexMario Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57119 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 28/02/2009 21:47
Recommendations: 4
You have to either turn off the mains or tie up the ballcock in the header tank and then drain all that expensive hot water away.

The way to do it if there's no valve controlling the hot water is:

- close the incoming mains stopcock.
- open the cold tap in the bathroom. This will drain the cold tank.
- When the cold tank is dry, then open the hot tap. Because the hot water is pulled from the top of the HW cylinder, only a small amount will be wasted until the feed from the cold tank falls to the level of the top of the cylinder.

Doing it that way will waste the cold water in the loft tank (which you had to do anyway) but will retain the hot water in the cylinder.

Author: jfgw Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57120 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 01/03/2009 00:57
- open the cold tap in the bathroom. This will drain the cold tank.

It may drain the cold tank depending on the system. Sometimes the cold taps (except for the kitchen sink one) are fed from the tank, sometimes they are fed from the mains. The OP suggests that they are all mains fed ("I can turn the cold off no problem (tap near the bathroom sink)"). (It's called a basin BTW.)

There should be a valve to shut off the cold going into the bottom of the cylinder. This will often be in the airing cupboard but may be in the loft. It is usually a gate valve with a red wheel: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12308/Plumbing/Pegler-Brasswar... If it hasn't been turned lately it may be stiff. If the handle keeps turning but the water doesn't shut off, the spindle is probably broken. Don't tighten it up too much or the spindle may break with the valve closed. If this happens, the easiest thing to do is to freeze the pipe and replace the valve. Note that this type of valve often lets by even when fully closed. A small dribble while you service a tap isn't a problem though.

Julian F. G. W.

Author: Snorvey Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57127 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 01/03/2009 16:38
It may drain the cold tank depending on the system. Sometimes the cold taps (except for the kitchen sink one) are fed from the tank, sometimes they are fed from the mains. The OP suggests that they are all mains fed ("I can turn the cold off no problem (tap near the bathroom sink)"). (It's called a basin BTW.)

There should be a valve to shut off the cold going into the bottom of the cylinder. This will often be in the airing cupboard but may be in the loft. It is usually a gate valve with a red wheel: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12308/Plumbing/Pegler-Brasswar...... If it hasn't been turned lately it may be stiff. If the handle keeps turning but the water doesn't shut off, the spindle is probably broken. Don't tighten it up too much or the spindle may break with the valve closed. If this happens, the easiest thing to do is to freeze the pipe and replace the valve. Note that this type of valve often lets by even when fully closed. A small dribble while you service a tap isn't a problem though.

Job done. Turned the big red wheel off and the mains and, after about 10 seconds, no more hot water. 20 seconds later, the washer is changed and no more dripping. There is a tiny dribble that comes out of the top of the tap - but only when its turned on.

Ach, I'll look at it again next week when I have time.

Cheers to all - very much appreciated.
BTW....I know what the difference is between a buffulo and a bison, but not the difference between a sink and a basin - care to enlighten me?

Snorvey

Author: jfgw Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57128 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 01/03/2009 17:17
and, after about 10 seconds, no more hot water

Ah, forgot to mention that it still runs for a few seconds while the open vent pipe empties.

BTW....I know what the difference is between a buffulo and a bison, but not the difference between a sink and a basin - care to enlighten me?

A sink is the thing in the kitchen that is used for washing up. The thing in the bathroom used for hand-washing and cleaning your teeth is a basin.

Julian F. G. W.

Author: Mike4 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57130 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 01/03/2009 18:42
Recommendations: 4
A sink is the thing in the kitchen that is used for washing up. The thing in the bathroom used for hand-washing and cleaning your teeth is a basin.

Julian F. G. W.

Dn't worry about Julian, Snorv. It's a class thing, sinks and basins. A bit like whether you have yer dinner at lunchtime or teatime. Posh people have basins in their bathrooms, normal people have sinks. :-)

HTH.

Cheers!
M4

Author: jfgw Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57131 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 01/03/2009 19:09
Posh people have basins in their bathrooms, normal people have sinks. :-)

I have never been called posh before Mike!

normal people have sinks. :-)

And I don't have, which means - erm - fair comment I suppose.

I will remember the class difference next time I buy a waste fitting or trap for the thing in the bathroom though. I will make sure I have a big hammer with me when I fit it :-)

Author: Snorvey Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57132 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 01/03/2009 20:21
Julian said:

Then Mike said:

Dn't worry about Julian, Snorv. It's a class thing, sinks and basins. A bit like whether you have yer dinner at lunchtime or teatime. Posh people have basins in their bathrooms, normal people have sinks. :-)

I guess my confusion comes from being bathed in the kitchen sink (basin?) when I was a nipper.

The we got posh too - and had a tin bath in front of the coal fire.

The bathroom was always too bloody cold!

Anyhoo, the damn things fixed and thats all that matters.

Cheers

Snorvey

Author: berkstunt Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57134 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 01/03/2009 20:51
Really, really posh people have Biddies or Beedays.
I have no idea what these are for - maybe for washing ones feet?

Author: Snorvey Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57135 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 01/03/2009 20:56
Really, really posh people have Biddies or Beedays.

I belieeeve.....(and I only heard this on Crocodile Dundee 2 - so don't take it as gospel), that they're for....washing your.....arse (snigger)

What's so wrong with newspaper I ask yer?
Perhaps Julian can confirm this one for us?

Author: jfgw Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57137 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 01/03/2009 21:42
This is getting a bit off-topic. On Jokers Corner, there is an unwritten (and usually ignored) rule that every post should contain a joke. I will, therefore, include a relevant comment in this post.

From Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet (under "Usage")

"they are very convenient for cleaning the feet, for example."

and,

"Users who are unfamiliar with bidets often confuse a bidet with a urinal, toilet, or even a drinking fountain."

If that is the case, then it is probably a good idea to have at least an inkling of what they are really meant for!

OB relevant comment:

When turning on a gate valve (the sort with a red wheel), it should be fully opened and then closed half a turn. The same applies to a stop-cock.

Julian F. G. W.

Author: YorPa Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57141 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 02/03/2009 14:30
Recommendations: 0
The thing in the bathroom used for hand-washing and cleaning your teeth is a basin.

Interesting, how do you clean your teeth with a basin? I use a toothbrush.

Author: richlist Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57145 of 78680
Subject: Re: How to turn hot water off? Date: 02/03/2009 17:11
Recommendations: 0
This is all very confusing.

The new bathrooms in my country house have neither sinks or basins. Some bathrooms have china bowls others have glass bowls & some bathrooms have X2 of each.

You guys need to move with the times.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread