UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: decemmie Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 389452  
Subject: how to find out my landline number? Date: 10/12/2007 12:52
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,

I have just moved into a rental flat where the service for the telephone line has lapsed. The landlord and managing agents cannot tell me what the telephone number is for the flat. The last time I had this situation occur, BT told me that they wouldn't tell me the telephone number unless I signed up for a 12 month contract with them. I really don't want to do that.

Does anyone know how I can find out what my telephone number is, so I can sign up with a provider of my choice?

I had thought of ringing the emergency services but feel a slight sense of horror that this might be the only way to get it.

Thank you,

decemmie
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mouseketeer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 243110 of 389452
Subject: Re: how to find out my landline number? Date: 10/12/2007 12:53
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Have you tried calling a friend who has caller display? My office phone shows the number of the incoming call unless the caller has put a block on the line.

Author: decemmie Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 243111 of 389452
Subject: Re: how to find out my landline number? Date: 10/12/2007 12:54
Unfortunately the service has lapsed so I cannot call anyone from the line itself other than the operator, emergency services, etc.

:(

decemmie

Author: Swill453 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 243115 of 389452
Subject: Re: how to find out my landline number? Date: 10/12/2007 12:57
Recommendations: 11
Try the line test number 17070 which, if it works, should read your number back to you.

Scott.

Author: patison Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 243138 of 389452
Subject: Re: how to find out my landline number? Date: 10/12/2007 14:48
Recommendations: 1
Does anyone know how I can find out what my telephone number is, so I can sign up with a provider of my choice?

I had thought of ringing the emergency services but feel a slight sense of horror that this might be the only way to get it.

I was in the same situation, and no method of getting hold of the 'original' number succeeded. I found that phoning BT with a tragic (but true) tale of how previous tenants had not paid the bill, thus resulting in disconnection, eventually came good. After about ten days the line was restored without anything arriving in the post to announce this. It took a lot of hanging on the telephone to achieve this, though, and though two previous numbers had been assigned to the house, which has been lived in by a lot of students, we got a completely new one.

Do a line check here:

http://tinyurl.com/ybf73b

If you have no telephone number at all, it will probably tell you 'There is no BT service recorded against this number. It may be possible that another company provides the service, in which case you will have to contact that service provider to report the problem.' 0800 800 151 is the official 'report a fault' free number but I was rapidly transferred to a paying line on which I waited ages (using someone else's phone - remember to pay them back). Do it in the daytime if at all possible.

Don’t ring the emergency services – apart from being very peeved, they probably won’t be able to tell you the number, either.

patison

Author: mayhemuk Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 243170 of 389452
Subject: Re: how to find out my landline number? Date: 11/12/2007 05:28
Where in the country are you? Is cable an option?
In the times I have moved have never found BT an issue to get a line sorted. Have not had to sign up for a 12 month contract either? (Last one was cancelled at 9-10months with no issue)
Try BT again. Call centres are big enough you'll possibly get someone a little slacker who will give you what you want.
Or get a bit shirty and say 'do you want a customer or not?' (Helps if you have a alternative.

Good luck!

Author: decemmie Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 243276 of 389452
Subject: Re: how to find out my landline number? Date: 11/12/2007 22:28
Thank you so much for the line test number - it has worked perfectly.

decemmie

Author: VikingWarrier Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 243279 of 389452
Subject: Re: how to find out my landline number? Date: 11/12/2007 22:53
The 12 months these phone companies try to convince you is the minimum is infact false.

OFCOM say you can move provider whenever you want to. No restrictions. Its all a bluff.

Author: ArchieTrave Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 243287 of 389452
Subject: Re: how to find out my landline number? Date: 12/12/2007 09:16
Recommendations: 3
The 12 months these phone companies try to convince you is the minimum is infact false.

OFCOM say you can move provider whenever you want to. No restrictions. Its all a bluff

Can you provide a link to the Act giving Ofcom the power to override contract law?

Archie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread