UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: himpantsou Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 175094  
Subject: How to Clean A Sheepskin Coat Cheaply? Date: 15/02/2006 16:48
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a much loved and very old sheepskin coat which I bought at Camden Market a few years ago for £10. It could do with a bit of a clean now but when I went to the dry cleaners they wanted £35.

Is there a method I can use to give it a wash myself? I am a bit afraid of sticking it in the washing machine. The lining is wool & the outer is sheepskin which is quite oliy to touch so I think it might need some kind of treatment/cream?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Satsuma29 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106999 of 175094
Subject: Re: How to Clean A Sheepskin Coat Cheaply? Date: 15/02/2006 19:40
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
It looks like you can do it by hand with bicarb and/or warm water.

See:

http://www.thesheepskinshop.com/cleaning.html
http://www.kiwi-sheepskins.com/sheepskin-care.asp

for more (I just googled cleaning sheepskin and these are top two results)

HTH
Satsuma

Author: fontenay Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107000 of 175094
Subject: Re: How to Clean A Sheepskin Coat Cheaply? Date: 15/02/2006 20:17
Recommendations: 1
Perhaps it is just as well that you did not have it dry-cleaned which, as you say, is expensive and according to the experts drycleaning actually takes some of the body out of the garment and yours is a bit (:-) older, it could suffer even more.

If you go to a good chemist and from what you have said, I gather you live in London, see if they have any of the following:
1.Suede Clean :an aerosol product for sheepskins and suedes.(for cleaning)
2.Suade Groom (correct spelling): general all purpose cleaning pad. Good for regular cleaning.
Instructions come with these. If chemists do not have them come back and I will give you a telephone number to order them.

You might want to try the following old fashioned cures to remove marks: Fullers Earth or French Chalk (good chemists should have these|) One rubs the dry powder upon the grease and leaves it for a few minutes. Brush off powder with a clothes brush. You might have to repeat this several times. If the marks are really bad the powder should be warmed gently before applying. This process should not harm the sheepskin so no harm in trying it, but only if you feel comfortable doing so.
Good luck!

Author: cmth Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107619 of 175094
Subject: Re: How to Clean A Sheepskin Coat Cheaply? Date: 02/03/2006 13:03
Hi Himpansou - did you try out the tips recommended here? Need to clean my beloved Motty coat too- and like you, refuse to pay the dry cleaners a fortune.

Author: himpantsou Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107639 of 175094
Subject: Re: How to Clean A Sheepskin Coat Cheaply? Date: 02/03/2006 19:38
Yes I did a bit of spot scrubbing & it got rid of a bit of the dried blood I had on my coat but ideally I would love to give the whole thing a wash but haven't found out how yet without spending more than I paid for it :(

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread