UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SlugPizza Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 391893  
Subject: Homemade Leather conditioner Date: 16/10/2005 21:21
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
.....any ideas how to make something suitable for leather driving gloves.

A few web sites suggest bee's wax melted into olive oil.

Slug.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: akaSpider Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 164603 of 391893
Subject: Re: Homemade Leather conditioner Date: 16/10/2005 23:24
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"To keep leather supple, use the following homemade recipe (a Hide Food concoction) from the Queen:

1 part white vinegar
2 parts linseed oil
Jar with a lid

"Pour the solution into a jar with a lid, shake well and apply to the leather with a soft cloth. Let it sit for 12 hours and buff. If the cloth starts to soil, be sure to change it often. Store the leftover solution for future usage. "

- http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/lv_household_tips/article/0,2041,DIY_14119_2275103,00.html

The "Queen" being "The Queen of Clean®", rather than Liz.

Spider

Author: Runemage Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 164605 of 391893
Subject: Re: Homemade Leather conditioner Date: 16/10/2005 23:56
Recommendations: 1
The beeswax one will smell a lot nicer than the linseed oil and white vinegar one.

If you go for the beeswax one, melt the beeswax first, slowly, I use a pyrex measuring jug in a pan of water on the hob. Do read all the safety warnings, it ignites without warning if it gets too hot.

When the beeswax has fully melted, add the olive oil and stir, it goes into a big lump at first but soon dissolves.

Pour into your choice of mould or sterilised glass jar and let it cool before you put its lid on.

The cheapest source I've found for Beeswax on the 'net is Thorne's at £7.50 per kilo but the P+P is hefty.
http://www.thorne.co.uk/
Handy if you live within driving distance of their depots. If you know a local beekeeper you could collect it from, the going rate is quite a bit less. I'd think you'd only need a couple of ounces of beeswax max to make a large jarful of conditioner for your gloves. It will solidify about 3 or 4 times the fl oz of olive oil and it keeps for ages.

Good luck with whichever one you try,

Rune

Author: SlugPizza Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 164608 of 391893
Subject: Re: Homemade Leather conditioner Date: 17/10/2005 06:32
Recommendations: 0
Thank you - have a "rec" each, I'll experiment.

Slug

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread