UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: spitting Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 92654  
Subject: Hide your savings! Date: 20/03/2012 16:30
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 22
My dear old, deceased, in-laws, hid rolls of money about their house. They declared nothing and claimed all they could. As the money they hid was savings from their pensions, they sensibly considered it all right to conceal it from various bodies who dole out money to the indigent poor. I cannot say that I blame them. They worked hard during their lives and lived frugally, I am glad to say that they were never burgled or robbed, by criminals or the government (is there much difference?) They had almost everything free, including the rent of their council bungalow.

Contrast then, with an old friend, who never married,became a headmistress, cared for her mother, and now because she has a pension, gets absolutely nothing free. She is not wealthy at all and has to count her pennies and worries about heating bills. She is nearly 87 and lives alone in the little house she bought, and she is full of fear that if she goes into a home, she will end up with zilch, except for a few pounds a week pocket money.

I wonder if I would have been better off hiding the money which I invested in Equitable Life - and of which I feel I have been largely robbed? I would have got so much free, home help, council tax, housing repairs - but I was stupid enough to buy my own house and try to save for a pension, so I too worry about heating bills, the rising cost of petrol and food. The small amount I managed to save outside of my pension is losing its value daily as interest rates are derisory. Can I, with all sincerity, advise my children to save for their old age? No, not really. You have to be hugely wealthy to amass a pension pot sufficient to see you through your old age, otherwise you just scrape by.

Who ever said that Honesty was the Best Policy? It isn't, is it?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Free Investing Reports
Download these free Motley Fool reports today.
Compensation
The Government has agreed in principle to pay compensation - but when and how much?