UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: parkejm Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58820  
Subject: Gary Rhodes Rec? Or pate recipe Date: 18/11/2003 13:49
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello
There's a Gary Rhodes recipe that I saw on UK Food for a pork country pate wrapped in bacon and I fancy trying it out for Christmas. I can't find the recipe on the web so it looks like I need to buy the book (Gary Rhodes at the table).

Does anyone know if the rest of the book is worth it? I've got one of his which I quite like but don't particularly want to buy a whole book for just one recipe.

Alternatively do any of you have a tried and tested chunky pate that would fit the bill?

Thanks
Janice
Print the post Back To Top
Author: arsonfire Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8270 of 58820
Subject: Re: Gary Rhodes Rec? Or pate recipe Date: 18/11/2003 14:48
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I don't have the reciped etc, but how about the library? Just a thought

Author: mattkhan Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8272 of 58820
Subject: Re: Gary Rhodes Rec? Or pate recipe Date: 18/11/2003 16:11
Hi,

I do have the recipe (and book) and made this last year, absolutely delicious it was too (and a mate thought so too seeing as though he ate literally half of it in one sitting)

can post it from home (tonight probably though maybe later in week) if you like

Cheers,
Matt

Author: parkejm Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8273 of 58820
Subject: Re: Gary Rhodes Rec? Or pate recipe Date: 18/11/2003 17:02
That would be great Matt, much appreciated.

What are your thoughts on the rest of the book's recipes?

Janice

Author: mattkhan Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8274 of 58820
Subject: Re: Gary Rhodes Rec? Or pate recipe Date: 18/11/2003 17:15
What are your thoughts on the rest of the book's recipes?
it's an excellent book and significantly better then the seasonal ones (Autumn/Winter & Spring/Summer), the best way I can characterise it is that the recipes are involved but basically straightforward - more a case of lots of little jobs involved in any one recipe, nothing complex though and the results really are quite sublime (in general) and certainly aren't from the Delia school of "do exactly this and nothing else" which I personally can't stand.

Cheers,
Matt

Author: mattkhan Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8284 of 58820
Subject: Re: Gary Rhodes Rec? Or pate recipe Date: 20/11/2003 12:53
this post is partly to remind myself and partly to say I haven't forgotten about this, I should get round to it tonight!

Cheers
Matt

Author: mattkhan Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8285 of 58820
Subject: Re: Gary Rhodes Rec? Or pate recipe Date: 20/11/2003 22:17
Recommendations: 1
Hi,

here you go

Country Pate

Makes enough to fill a 25*8*8 cm (10*3*3 in) earthenware terrine

12-16 rashers of unsmoked streaky bacon, rinded
675g pork belly or 575g lean shoulder of pork, chilled, then minced or chopped (I chopped, it takes a while!)
175 g pork fat (if using lean pork), chilled, then minced or chopped (ditto)
175g chicken livers, preferably soaked in milk for 24-48hrs
2 tsp salt
1-2tsp black pepper
knob of butter
2 onions, v finely chopped
3 tbsp brandy
3 tbsp port
3 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
good pinch of ground allspice
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp white breadcrumbs
1 egg
fresh thyme sprig (optional)
1 bay leaf (optional)

Notes
Texture and consistency up to you
Pork meats can be bought pre-chopped or minced, best results = finely chopped by hand (ensures natural juices kept hence moister finish)
Cook at least 2-3days in advance of eating to give flavours time to amalgamate & improve

Instructions
Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4

Line the terrine with the streaky bacon, saving 4 rashers for the top
If using the pork belly omit the fat
Chop and mix the meat (and fat if using) together until they are one mass
Remove the chicken livers from the milk and lightly dry, hand chop or blitz to a smooth paste in a food processor (preferred option)
It's now best to work the pate mix in a bowl over ice as this (chill) keeps a good, firm texture
Add the livers to the meat with the measured salt & pepper
Melt the butter in a pan, add the chopped onions
Cook for a few mins til softened
Add the brandy and increase the heat, allow the liquor to reduce til almost dry
Add the port, repeat reduction process
Leave to cool
Once cold, add to the meats with garlic (if using), mixed herbs, allspice, parsley, breadcrumbs, and finally the egg
A spoonful of the mix can be fried in butter (like a small burger) to test the seasoning
Important to remember the seasoning will need to be quite generous at this stage as some flavour is lost as the pate chills
Adjust seasoning if necessary
Spoon the mix into the lined terrine
Lay the 4 rashers on top along with the thyme & bay leaf
Cover with the terrine lid
Sit in a deep roasting tray
Fill with enough hot water to reach between 1/2 and 3/4s up the side of the terrine
This can now be cooked for 1-1.5hrs

To check it is cooked, pierce with a skewer & hold for 10s before removing and checking its heat
The skewer should be hot and not warm, if so the pate is cooked
Remvoe from overn and pour away the water
Leave to relax for 20-30 mins

Place a small piece of wood or plastic wrapped in cling film or foil on top of the paet
Sit another terrine or suitable container of similar weight (e.g. a load of tins of baked beans like I did)
This will squeeze some juices out
After 45-60mins of pressing, remove the weight and pour back any lost juices
Cover the terrine and refridgerate for 2-3days before turning out

Cheers
Matt

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread