UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pelicantilos Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 78437  
Subject: Fixing TV bracket to plasterboard wall Date: 14/03/2010 13:36
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi

Could someone with more knowledge than me recommend a suitable method for fixing a flat screen TV to a plasterboard bedroom wall.

This is the bracket I was thinking of.............

http://tinyurl.com/ygnpa26

As you can see, the bracket doesn't tilt and swivel etc, and it fixes the TV fairly close to the wall.

The TV is a 32-inch LG weighing 12kgs.

Thanks

Karen
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Dames1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62108 of 78437
Subject: Re: Fixing TV bracket to plasterboard wall Date: 14/03/2010 13:47
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hi Karen ,
If its a stud wall then probably best to go with 'hollow wall Anchor' , others may have a diffo opinion tho'.

Like so.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12229

Dames :0)

Author: martint123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62109 of 78437
Subject: Re: Fixing TV bracket to plasterboard wall Date: 14/03/2010 15:43
Recommendations: 9
If your plasterboard is fixed to a stud wall then I think I'd only contemplate fixing the bracket through the plasterboard to the studs with normal wood screws.

Author: csearle Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62110 of 78437
Subject: Re: Fixing TV bracket to plasterboard wall Date: 14/03/2010 16:21
Recommendations: 1
Hi Karen,

If it is at all possible to screw into the timber as Martin suggests then this is the best way to go. You might be lucky and get all the fixings like this but it is more likely that a couple would be in to the plasterboard, in which case those fixings Damian indicated are great.

Once you have decided where you want to mount the bracket try and determine where - if any - studs (timber uprights) exist either using a detector or by listening to where it sounds least hollow. Test the locations by making small holes with a with a screwdriver. If you happen on a hollow spot you can use an unravelled wire coat-hanger bent to a right-angle to find any timber close by. Insert it into the small hole and rotate it.

Sometimes the plasterboard is stuck on to the wall directly, without timbers. In this case it depends upon how much of a gap exists behind the board. If there is enough then use Damian's fixings. If not then the fixings would need to be made to the masonry wall with fairly beefy plugs and screws.

Chris

Author: pelicantilos Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62112 of 78437
Subject: Re: Fixing TV bracket to plasterboard wall Date: 14/03/2010 17:00
It's an internal wall so there definitely won't be any block or brickwork behind it to screw into.

I've had a tap/listen around the area and can't seem to find a timber stud in the vicinity. There is however a a fitted cupboard with its own dry lined wall behind part of the wall where I want the TV so I guess I could run a bolt through both of these sheets of plasterboard and secure it with an appropriately sized washer and nut.

Does anyonyone know what diameter hole I will need to drill to use Dames's wall anchors?

Author: Dames1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62113 of 78437
Subject: Re: Fixing TV bracket to plasterboard wall Date: 14/03/2010 17:14
Recommendations: 3
http://hollow-wall-anchors.drywallscrewsonline.com/

Dames :0)

Author: csearle Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62114 of 78437
Subject: Re: Fixing TV bracket to plasterboard wall Date: 14/03/2010 17:18
...so I guess I could run a bolt through both of these sheets of plasterboard and secure it with an appropriately sized washer and nut.

Squeezing two platerboards together doesn't sound very good to me. I'd just use Damian's fixtures if you cant locate any studs.

Chris

Author: pelicantilos Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62115 of 78437
Subject: Re: Fixing TV bracket to plasterboard wall Date: 14/03/2010 17:19
Excellent, thanks.

Author: WessexMario Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62124 of 78437
Subject: Re: Fixing TV bracket to plasterboard wall Date: 14/03/2010 19:41
With the weight of a TV I'd definately want to secure to the wooden framework.

Fixings may well hold a TV ok to the plasterboard - BUT - a possible outcome is that the TV will remain fixed to the board, but the board might not remain fixed to the studwork!
Do you know exactly how the plasterboard is held to the woodwork behind it?

Plasterboard can support a lot of weight vertically, but isn't very good at resisting pulling or squeezing, perpendicular to the surface.
When fixing the bracket, the important fixings are the top row, they have a pull both downwards and outwards, whereas the bottom fixings tend to act like a hinge and only have a downwards force. So, if you can't align both the top and the bottom fixings with the wooden studs behind, then make sure the top ones are.

Author: downfield One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62125 of 78437
Subject: Re: Fixing TV bracket to plasterboard wall Date: 14/03/2010 19:55
Recommendations: 5
12kg shouldn't pose very much risk on plasterboard fixings as a flat screen TV has a centre of gravity close to the wall.

However, if you want to be cautious, another option would be to fix 50x25mm battens horizontally on the wall, screwing these into the vertical studs. Then use woodscrews to fix the bracket to the battens. The 32" screen will easily hide the battens.

Author: KingMcKong Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62126 of 78437
Subject: Re: Fixing TV bracket to plasterboard wall Date: 14/03/2010 21:04
Recommendations: 7
Under no circumstances use plasterboard anchors or anything of the sort!!

It is far safer to attach battens, as suggested by another Fool, and then mount the TV bracket onto the battens. These should be screwed with substantial screws into the studs, through the plasterboard.

The battens are essentially two horizontal planks, which span at least two, and even better three, of the vertical studs. They can be decorated to match the wall, once fixed, and in any case the TV will cover most of the width.

I would use substantial planks, say 200mm x 20mm, cut to length, and screws into the wall and studs of say 100mm

The structure you're mounting the TV brackets onto should feel like something from one of Her Majesty's battleships.

You can then enjoy watching TV without wondering if one day the thing will crash to the floor, right in the middle of Top Gun played with 5:1 sound at high volume.

A perfect opportunity for some elegant over-engineering in my view.

KMcK

PS Don't forget to use a spirit level to get the planks horizontal. There's nothing worse than a slightly crooked plank on a wall - it looks like a complete amateur did it. You could also chamfer the front edges of the planks for extra elegance.

PPS the battens offer a further advantage. There are always lots of cables round the back of modern TVs. A wooden frame provides a good surface for fixing cable ties to make the whole installation neat and tidy

Author: richlist Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62127 of 78437
Subject: Re: Fixing TV bracket to plasterboard wall Date: 14/03/2010 21:51
WARNING!!!!!

There have now been a number of fatalities reported (at least one involved a baby)where flat screen TV's have fallen off of the wall and onto the heads of occupants due to poor fixings.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread