UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: richlist Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 78366  
Subject: Fixing Curtain Rods on uPVC Windows Date: 25/10/2008 19:52
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone know the best way of attaching curtain rods to uPVC window frames ?

* The little hooks with sticky pads fall off after a while.
* Double sided tape....even heavy duty stuff.....lasts a bit longer but still falls off.

What does everyone else do ?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: titch6 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55095 of 78366
Subject: Re: Fixing Curtain Rods on uPVC Windows Date: 25/10/2008 20:08
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I don't know if this will help you but I have just had a roller blind fitted in my bathroom.

Rather than drill through my tiles the fitter suggested fitting onto the window frame (upvc double glazed window) and this is what he did.

He said he used special screws fit for this purpose - I'm sorry I don't know which ones though.

T6

Author: berkstunt Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55096 of 78366
Subject: Re: Fixing Curtain Rods on uPVC Windows Date: 25/10/2008 20:37
He said he used special screws fit for this purpose - I'm sorry I don't know which ones though.

I've always used Self-Tapping screws, the type used for screwing into aluminium or even iron, after first drilling a suitably sized pilot hole.

Author: ollocks Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55098 of 78366
Subject: Re: Fixing Curtain Rods on uPVC Windows Date: 25/10/2008 21:53
Anyone know the best way of attaching curtain rods to uPVC window frames ?

Screws. Self tapping or any sharp tipped wood screw.

Dave.

Author: NomoneyNohoney Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55099 of 78366
Subject: Re: Fixing Curtain Rods on uPVC Windows Date: 25/10/2008 22:09
I was pondering the same question, and had convinced myself that the best fixings would be similar to those meant for hollow walls. The kind of thing where, once it's pushed into the hole, 'wings' come out and then as you tighten the screw down, they brace against the underside of the plastic.
Is there not something like that, which would reduce the risk of the screws tearing out?

Author: martint123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55100 of 78366
Subject: Re: Fixing Curtain Rods on uPVC Windows Date: 25/10/2008 22:37
The kind of thing where, once it's pushed into the hole, 'wings' come out and then as you tighten the screw down, they brace against the underside of the plastic.

When I replaced a single frame earlier this year, I had a peek at the construction of the old one.
Most of the inside seemed to be expanded polystyrene so the "wing" devices may well not open. I think long screws with a coarse, deep spiral would be best for gripping - with a pilot hole in the plastic skin, but no deeper.
I guess with a small pilot hole, you could see if the frame was filled or not.

Author: loir Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55102 of 78366
Subject: Re: Fixing Curtain Rods on uPVC Windows Date: 25/10/2008 22:58
You need to be prepared for the steel frame which is inside the PVC outer shell. It doesn't go everywhere but it might be just where you want to put your screw.

Loir

Author: felixcanis Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55104 of 78366
Subject: Re: Fixing Curtain Rods on uPVC Windows Date: 26/10/2008 08:29
Hi
Are you talking net curtains or heavy weight?

For nets I use expanding curtain rods see link

http://www.nets2go.co.uk/net-curtains/accessories.php

Kind regards

FelixC

Author: richlist Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55105 of 78366
Subject: Re: Fixing Curtain Rods on uPVC Windows Date: 26/10/2008 08:33
I use expanding/ sprung loaded rods also.......but its not possible with bay windows.

Author: Slarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55106 of 78366
Subject: Re: Fixing Curtain Rods on uPVC Windows Date: 26/10/2008 10:43
For the nets I just use standard brass screw eyes, but for the curtains I have, depending on the window, fastened a wooden baton to the underside of the window frame, screwed the mounts for the curtain pole directly into the wall above the window alcove, fastened a wooden baton onto the ceiling.

I would feel nervous about the weight of 8' tall heavy curtains hanging from screws in plastic.

But it is going to depend on the material of your curtains, and how long they are.

HTH
Slarti

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread