UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Satsumaa Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 389082  
Subject: Evenly spacing pictures on a wall Date: 19/09/2010 17:11
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am being extraordinarily stupid and can't for the life of me work out how to space 4 x 40cm wide pictures evenly across a 4.1m wall.

I know I need to have 2 pictures on on each "half" of the centre line, but then I just lose it.

DAK?

<embarrassed>
Sats
Print the post Back To Top
Author: richlist Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 318262 of 389082
Subject: Re: Evenly spacing pictures on a wall Date: 19/09/2010 17:21
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
X4 pictures = 5 spaces

X4 pictures @ 40cm each = 160cm

410cm less 160cm = 250cm

250cm divided by 5 = 50 cm

Therefore, the centre of the first picture is 70 cm from one wall, then 90 cm to the centre of the next picure, then 90cm to next picture and 90 cm to last picture. This should leave 70 cm to the far wall.

Author: loir Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 318263 of 389082
Subject: Re: Evenly spacing pictures on a wall Date: 19/09/2010 17:23
With four pictures there will be 5 spaces.

You need to decide the spaces at each end, and then divide the rest by 3.

Loir

Author: SlugPizza Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 318264 of 389082
Subject: Re: Evenly spacing pictures on a wall Date: 19/09/2010 17:29
There is a mathematical answer just by dividing 4.1m/5 = 82cm

So 82cm from wall edge to each centre hanging point, however that might not be aesthetically pleasing as it might appear cold and clinical.

Maybe: From the edge of the wall measure in 1m then place the first picture, then 70cm for the second, 70cm for the third, and again 70cm for the forth, leaving a 1m border to the wall of the other side; giving a symmetrical border to the group.

But play with the style and numbers to suit you, do the pictures look better closer together or is there a natural grouping of two plus two?

HTH

Author: Satsumaa Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 318266 of 389082
Subject: Re: Evenly spacing pictures on a wall Date: 19/09/2010 18:01
Aaaaah, I was dividing by FOUR not FIVE!

Thanks everyone,
Sats

Author: SmudgeButt Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 318299 of 389082
Subject: Re: Evenly spacing pictures on a wall Date: 20/09/2010 09:55
Why space them evenly?

Author: EnB76 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 318302 of 389082
Subject: Re: Evenly spacing pictures on a wall Date: 20/09/2010 10:24
Recommendations: 1
Sats - the way to space pictures is to have two of you doing it. It will look much better if done by eye than if done by strictly measuring. String length often varies in pictures too so hanging one on a hook that's in the correct place may not mean that the next one will be.

Two of you. One to hold the picture until it's in the right place and then with fingernail mark where the nail should go, the second to boss the first about "little to the right, no my right, up a bit, down a smidge, left a bit... perfect"

Don't measure, the end result always looks a little weird.

Author: Satsumaa Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 318315 of 389082
Subject: Re: Evenly spacing pictures on a wall Date: 20/09/2010 12:20
Why space them evenly?

Because that's how I wanted them :-)

Author: Satsumaa Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 318317 of 389082
Subject: Re: Evenly spacing pictures on a wall Date: 20/09/2010 12:23
Sats - the way to space pictures is to have two of you doing it...

Too late, was only me to hand so I had to get on with it. They are hung now. One is a little off the mark but I can live with it till next time I have the tools out when I'll move the hook a smidge to the right.

But I managed to get them all level with each other so I'm pretty pleased about that. The end result has transformed a totally bare wall into a nice feature now. Annoyed it took me so long really!

Sats

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread