UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Mike4 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 77091  
Subject: Electric mains water stopcock Date: 18/07/2003 01:17
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1

Yes it's true folks. Check this out!

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=8003709&post=true

Cheers!
M4
Print the post Back To Top
Author: theBullockSmithy Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13581 of 77091
Subject: Re: Electric mains water stopcock Date: 18/07/2003 09:23
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Some bits of that thread talk about possible problems with fitting extra devices into the system, especially those which rely on electrical/hydraulic/other toys to remove the operator from the actual process of blocking the pipe.

Apart from the specific benefits/reliability or otherwise of those particular items, it is worth taking a risk management strategy of assuming that "more toys = more to go wrong", even when those toys are actually there to prevent (or in case of) anything going wrong.

Therefore, whether the barrier between you and an impromptu swimming pool amounts to no more than a stoptap, or whether you're plumbed into ethernet with a 24x7 personal monitoring service from NASA, it's a good idea to test it once in a while.

With my basic stoptap, when I turn it back on, I always open it fully then close it a quarter turn, to help avoid it jamming open.

I'm no expert, but it gives me some confidence doing that.

tBS

Author: Mike4 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13595 of 77091
Subject: Re: Electric mains water stopcock Date: 18/07/2003 14:34
Recommendations: 0

Yes I agree that if you don't have the gadgets they can't go wrong.

With my basic stoptap, when I turn it back on, I always open it fully then close it a quarter turn, to help avoid it jamming open.

I worked for a frail old lady many years ago and she was sooooo worried that she didn't have the strength in her wrists to turn a stopcock let alone get on her knees and reach into the cupboard to get to it.

I fitted an extra stopcock above the kitchen worktop for her, but she still couldn't manage to work it easily. The SureStop would have been just the job for her had it been around then.

Cheers!
M4

Author: UnclePhilip Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13597 of 77091
Subject: Re: Electric mains water stopcock Date: 18/07/2003 14:39
Having lived with frail and disabled people for most of my adult life (except my frighteningly healthy wife, but let that pass....), I love to fit easily accessible lever (1/4 turn) handled valves. I used to call them Crane valves, but have since been told that's the wrong title.

Anyway, I used to think they were the answer, but I'm intrigued by these electric things. Like to know more....

Uncle

Author: PetraM Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13598 of 77091
Subject: Re: Electric mains water stopcock Date: 18/07/2003 14:42
Anyway, I used to think they were the answer, but I'm intrigued by these electric things. Like to know more....

Look Here:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=35729&id=33580

PetraM

Author: UnclePhilip Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13599 of 77091
Subject: Re: Electric mains water stopcock Date: 18/07/2003 16:46
I've read this:

http://www.surestop.co.uk/

But, how does it actually work?

I mean, what's inside the valve body itself, to close and open using mains water pressure?

Uncle

Author: fourtwentyfour Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13600 of 77091
Subject: Re: Electric mains water stopcock Date: 18/07/2003 17:07
This is a guess.

Let's say the tube has 3 small pipes within it. One pipe carries mains water pressure from the street side of the valve. The other two take it, after a mechanical switch, back to the valve. One goes to some lever type mechanism that pushes the valve closed, and the other to a similar mechanism on the other side to push it open.

So the mains pressure is amplified and fed to the side of a valve, depending on the switch routing, to keep it open or closed.

If I am right, a failure of the switch end could allow the house to flood, via the feed from the mains before the stop cock?

Author: zulus9 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13601 of 77091
Subject: Re: Electric mains water stopcock Date: 18/07/2003 18:47
Advertised by my local water company.

My understanding. Works on mains water pressure not electricity. It is additional to not a substitute for the main stopcock and is fitted after the main stopcock.

Author: UnclePhilip Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13608 of 77091
Subject: Re: Electric mains water stopcock Date: 19/07/2003 09:27
My understanding. Works on mains water pressure not electricity. It is additional to not a substitute for the main stopcock and is fitted after the main stopcock.

Yes, that's what I read, too.

But, I repeat my query, how does it actually work??

Uncle

Author: Teedd Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13753 of 77091
Subject: Re: Electric mains water stopcock Date: 25/07/2003 23:51

Mike

........I fitted an extra stopcock above the kitchen worktop for her, but she still couldn't manage to work it easily. The SureStop would have been just the job for her had it been around then.......

What you did is probably still the best thing. Just fit a big handle.

The problem with an electric gizmo is that there are lots of occaisions where there is water around when it is much the safest thing to knock the electricity off first.

Teedd

Author: PetraM Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13757 of 77091
Subject: Re: Electric mains water stopcock Date: 26/07/2003 10:34
The problem with an electric gizmo is that there are lots of occaisions where there is water around when it is much the safest thing to knock the electricity off first.

So true - which is why, later in the thread, others point out that it isn't an electric device.

PetraM

Author: Teedd Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13767 of 77091
Subject: Re: Electric mains water stopcock Date: 27/07/2003 00:36

Petra

What you say is true, but you will conceed that I was replying to Mike4.
It would be too laborious and time consuming to read every message on a board or even some threads.
Reading the heading and his message it all makes perfect sense.
Still something good may have come of your remark. Looking at the manufacturers info', I find that I might have use for the item in question.
My stopcock is difficult to get to as the kitchen is an extension and the stopcock is therefore under the dining room floor (the old kitchen). Moving it was one of those jobs that never got done. Perhaps it can remain where it is and one of these gizmo's fitted.

Teedd

Author: PetraM Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13769 of 77091
Subject: Re: Electric mains water stopcock Date: 27/07/2003 10:26
It would be too laborious and time consuming to read every message on a board or even some threads...

True.

But you might like to look at the dates of the messages you're replying to before adding to the noise....

PetraM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread