UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ngaunt Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 175177  
Subject: Co-op dividend Date: 10/05/2011 17:35
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,
I just moved house. The only shop within easy walking distance is a co-op small supermarket. Now I'm not a great fan of the co-op as they seem to be overpriced on a lot of stuff (sugar is £1.50, 85p elsewhere!). But I'll probably go there for emergency milk, veg etc, so I got a dividend card.

They just sent me the "spring 2011" members booklet. It has vouchers for about 9,000 bonus points. To get which I'll have to spend about £50, on stuff which I could mostly use (alright, everything but the bottled water - ugh!)

Now it seems to me 9,000 points is worth £180! Or was last year, no guarantees to be sure. Is this really the fantastic bargain it seems? Looks the proverbial "too good to be true"! Or have I got it wrong somewhere?

Should I be begging the neighbours vouchers too? Are they transferable, DAK? They are "only 1 voucher per transaction", but that's fine I can go each day and buy 1 item.

ATB
Nige
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jc558 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158863 of 175177
Subject: Re: Co-op dividend Date: 10/05/2011 19:03
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
As you say, the Co-op is way above the major supermarkets on prices, but with the occasional low cost gem - often on toilet rolls (not sure why). Are Co-op points really worth 2p in the £?

I'd be pushed to spend £50 at my local Co-op and I suspect the points (which can only be spent on another Co-op shop) would not cancel out the higher prices.

Author: UrbanDreamer Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158864 of 175177
Subject: Re: Co-op dividend Date: 10/05/2011 19:04
Is this really the fantastic bargain it seems? Looks the proverbial "too good to be true"! Or have I got it wrong somewhere?

The answer is that it depends. "The co-op" is going through a bit of a radical change since United Co-op and Co-op group merged (it wasn't "the co-op). One of those changes is that they are changing what they do with their profits. United use to gather them and use them substantially for charitable purposes. Now the move is to redistribute them to those who sign up to the dividend card (I don't think that the points are transferable).

The small stores are quite overpriced IMHO, however membership does have its benefits. You might want to check out their website.
http://www.co-operative.coop/membership/

You could see if there is a local members group in your area as well. I have enjoyed a trip to a co-operative microbrewery and some very interesting talks with my local group. The Co-op also currently offers some support to the local brass band, rugby and football groups as well as the Woodcraft folk.

Ps, you don't need to limit yourself to the local store. They also do travel, funerals (though I'm not looking for a discount there yet), drugs (legal, both in shops and online), electrical goods and I believe cars.

Author: stompa Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158866 of 175177
Subject: Re: Co-op dividend Date: 10/05/2011 19:09
Recommendations: 1
As you say, the Co-op is way above the major supermarkets on prices, but with the occasional low cost gem...

Indeed it's worth keeping an eye on:

http://www.co-operative.coop/food/deals/

Stompa

Author: wuzwine Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158869 of 175177
Subject: Re: Co-op dividend Date: 10/05/2011 19:33
Recommendations: 1
Hi,

I only have a Tesco, Lidl and a Coop within 15 miles and none are ideal!

The Coop has often offers not mentioned on their website for example on wines and Malt Whisky last Xmas.

I got a free ticket to the Eden Project and unfortunately my wife was a member of the wrong Coop so had to pay! There were two different Coops in the local market town.

There are still some independent Coops. On holiday in Bath used the local Coop which was part of the main group and then in Radstock an identical branded Coop was independent. It had the main offers as per the web but did not give points!

Main surprise was I was given change in cash for a £10 voucher! Whether that was wrong or not I am not sure. Seemed strange but then they sent cheques until a few years ago and I had just assumed the vouchers had to be used for goods.

Just looked at their website which says "You can choose to take your share as vouchers, which you can use in any of our stores, or we can pay it straight into your bank account. The points all soon add up - the more points you earn the bigger your share."

So that explains the cash change!

http://www.co-operative.coop/membership/share-of-the-profits...

Wuz

U

Author: freelancer37 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158880 of 175177
Subject: Re: Co-op dividend Date: 11/05/2011 00:07
Recommendations: 2
Don't forget the Co-op does banking too. I was quite surprised to realise I got points on my Co-op mortgage.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread