No. of Recommendations: 149
It's my sad duty to announce that we'll be closing the Fool UK Discussion Boards to new posts on Thursday 17 November. After they close to new posts, the Boards will remain accessible as a 'read-only' archive for at least 3 months.

The Boards were launched back in January 1998 — several lifetimes ago in Internet time — and the code that runs them has become increasingly hard to maintain and keep integrated with the rest of the Fool UK site. Indeed, it's a testament to the original developers of the Boards that they have lasted so long.

However, we're currently bringing the software platform of the UK Fool into line with our other International sites, and a consequence of that we have to lose parts of the site that are based on older technologies.

So, as well as the Boards, all of the pages that require you to be logged in will be disappearing — eg, 'Favourite Boards', 'Favourite Fools', 'Replies to Your Posts', 'Marked for Later Reply', and 'My Fool'. Also, the 'Profile' pages for posters — ie, the one with 'Info' and 'Activity' tabs — will be going, too.

We'd like to sincerely thank the many thousands of posters who have made the Fool boards a truly unique and wonderful place over almost two decades . The amount of time that people have put into helping their fellow Fools, and the remarkable detail behind many of the answers given, has been truly astounding and inspiring to witness.

Indeed, the Boards went far beyond their original remit as a place to discuss investing and financial matters. Over the years there have been discussions on pretty much every subject imaginable, from astronomy and cycling, through football and photography, to steam railways and weight control.

Many Fools have met up in real life, at numerous Foolish social events, and there have been Foolish marriages, births and, sadly, the deaths of a few Foolish friends as well.

I'd like to thank all the TMFers who have who have worked in the UK Fool's community team over the years — the numerous 'strollers' who helped nurture the Foolish community spirit in the early days; George, better known as TMFGrow, who ran the Boards for almost a decade, from their inception in 1998 to early 2007; and TMFSash and TMFBoing, who have shouldered the bulk of the moderation work over the past several years. The work of the Board moderators isn't always appreciated, but I believe they played a crucial role in maintaining the quality of the discussion on the Boards.

Again, our thanks go to everyone who helped to make the Fool UK Discussion Boards a very special place indeed.

Foolish best wishes

Jon
TMFTarantula
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 21
I'll have to get a life.

PD
No. of Recommendations: 20
I knew it was just a matter of time, but I didn't want this day to come. I know they're not what they used to be but I for one will miss these boards.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Well it was bound to end sometime as posts dwindled and the stringent moderation obviously cost you time and money to do.
You don't say if you wish UK Fools to go and post on the US site - certainly nothing suggesting you want any ? Is that the correct interpretation ?
No. of Recommendations: 37
That is a damn shame.

I know there's been a lot of hot air, harsh words, intolerance, prejudice, incomprehensible stupidity on these boards, but for all that it's been a great place to engage with people, get help and advice, sound off, get one's views questioned etc and I will miss it massively.

Thanks for all the fish and to all those who I've annoyed or amused over the years.

Cheers

Coleyfish

ps It's just another sign that the World has become obsessed with money - no profit, no value and bugger those who just enjoyed the simple pleasure.
No. of Recommendations: 18
Bugger.
No. of Recommendations: 71
Well there goes any reason to visit the Motley Fool. 1998-2016 - it's been fun.
No. of Recommendations: 13
That is a terrible shame. It's been what I consider my internet 'home base' since 2001.
It'll be odd when it's read only, and eventually deleted. All those hours, all those words, all the socials..Sic transit gloria mundi
Sad, but I doubt it will come as a surprise to anyone. Many thanks to all those who've helped make it a great place to pick up wisdom (both investing and other stuff) and to create a civilized place to discus all sorts of issues.

I don't suppose there's a UK Exiles board on TMF USA by any chance?
No. of Recommendations: 2
What a terrible shame. It will be sorely missed.
No. of Recommendations: 12
"it's been a great place to engage with people, get help and advice, sound off, get one's views questioned etc and I will miss it massively."

I agree with the above words from Coleyfish. I don't have a FB account and am not wildly into social-media. However it may be a good idea for those who are interested to put their Thinking-Caps-On and advise everybody where we can cyber-congregate after 17 November!!!
No. of Recommendations: 3
"I don't suppose there's a UK Exiles board on TMF USA by any chance?"

Here you go:

http://boards.fool.com/british-invasion-113739.aspx

http://boards.fool.com/son-of-british-invasion-115171.aspx

PD
No. of Recommendations: 5
[Re-posted to the correct thread. Sigh]

I'll echo the above posters. The end of an era.

I'll miss reading the informed comments on current events. I won't name names, but there are some posters who have been absolutely invaluable.

Might I suggest a possible decamp to Usenet? The 'Eternal September' crowd have pretty much moved on to social media, and some of the moderated newsgroups are very informative - the unmoderated ones are too, but suffer 'a bit' more SPAM.

It remains for me to thank TMF UK for providing this resource for as long as they have, even if the relationship with the user-base was not always clement. Perhaps TMF can come to some arrangement with the Internet Archive/Wayback Machine ( https://archive.org/web/ )to provide a long-term accessible archive of the boards? It would be a grand parting gesture.

It would also be useful if a method of sending private messages to accounts could be implemented for a reasonably long period after board shutdown so that people needing/wanting to can get in contact outside the boards. I know that is in 'moon-on-a-stick' territory, but if one doesn't ask, one doesn't get.

Thanks again

sophotrope.
(still seeking knowledge)
What a shame.

These boards have been a big part of my life since July 2001 and I'll miss them but I do appreciate the reasons for the decision.

Big thanks to Jon and TMF staffers past and present for making these boards what they were.

Gostevie
OK, the evil day has dawned.
Now, has anyone got any ideas for quickly putting together a new bulletin board?
I'd hate to lose contact with so many people whose lives have interacted with mine over the years.

A while ago I pointed to bulletin board software here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_forum_s...

Anyone fancy taking the lead in trying to keep the discussion part going?

Seems to me that, as a text only site, there wouldn't be massive data throughput, so the running costs wouldn't be so great as video hosting sites etc, so I'd think it could be done quite cheaply. Site monitoring could be via email alerts, same as 'Report This Post' currently works, and I'd assume it would need an insurance of some sort.

If anyone thinks this is worth considering, perhaps we could get a short-life board opened for general discussion about the feasibility..?

NmNh

PS/ I suppose this is one way of closing out those 'things that need fixing' tickets!
No. of Recommendations: 33
This is like having a death in the family.

:(

HYD
No. of Recommendations: 0
Great shame but the boards have been in terminal decline for some time. I'll miss the whole thing as it's such an interesting study of human behaviour. Rec tarts apart, there have been some great contributions and fantastic ideas and good quality advice offered freely. TMF piqued my interest in investments and saving money back in the nineties (first post 31/03/1999) and I've lurked, engaged and generally enjoyed the set up intermittently since then.

Only recently have I had some serious money to invest and I hope I've learned enough to maybe grow it and try to avoid losing it.

Thanks to every one of you who posted something thought provoking or thoughtful - I'll miss you all.

WCW
No. of Recommendations: 1
NmNh,

How about something like this

https://www.proboards.com/

Paul
Is there any reason you can't open up new boards on the Fool.com site...?
Curses

I started up on Compuserve in about 1988, wandered over to Hemscott, then iii, then to TMF in about 1999, and its been my most visited web page every year since.

Sorry to see you go, but appreciate that every attempt that you've made to monetise the boards has been unsuccessful. So good luck everyone, and thanks for everything.

DM
Couldn't we do something like the p2p independent forum?

http://www.p2pindependentforum.com/

Would certain elements of the fool boards be copywrite?

Two weeks is not a lot of time!
Well I will miss it. It was TMF that nudged me into shares, and eventually HYP and Stoozing

Thanks for all the ideas over the years, and the software "glitch" not spotting my moniker on my initial signing up ;-)

TTFN
I feel like someone has pissed on my parade

from a great height.

When I signed up my youngest lad was 2. He's now 20.
That really puts things in perspective.

I'm not a prolific poster but reading my favourites is part of my daily ritual.

I've gained so much from these boards. Tips on travel, music, cycling, recipes, stoozing, diy and lots more. Virtual friendships too.

Oh, and investments!
Having never even thought of stocks and shares I now have a HYP portfolio that's nearly 10 years old. A five figure sum that I would never have had without PYAD.

It was inevitable I suppose in this day and age.
I shall miss the boards and all of the familiar posters.

Thanks all for your enjoyable company

Cheers

The Books
For such as I with no financial background to speak of its has been the most educational place to visit obtaining insights that would never have entered my head , nothing short of disastrous as far as I am concerned .

Gratitude to those who have been keeping it going beyond its intended sell by date and to all of you for the contributions without which I do not think I would have made much profit with some entertainment along the way .
A sad, sad piece of news. Although not a prolific writer on the boards, I have thoroughly enjoyed the education and "banter" that has gone on over the years both on topic (financial markets) and off-topic (everything else). Too many regular contributors to thank but special mention to Clitheroekid for his age advice and Squiffy for his tireless attempts at humour.

Cheers to all
No. of Recommendations: 7
End of an era for me, been part of my life since 2000. The HYP Practical board is often the first thing I read in the day.

Hoping that an alternative hangout can be agreed, as the accumulated wisdom of the crowd here is worth a lot to me.

So long, and thanks for all the fish....
No. of Recommendations: 6
How about something like this

https://www.proboards.com/

Funny you should pick on that one.... I've just set up a test board to play around with

--kiloran
No. of Recommendations: 9
Very, very sad news.

I see that my first post was nearly 17 years ago. I'm not really into social media and this is where I've spent most of my time on the internet. Principally the financial boards such as HYP, Investment Trusts etc but also Help with this Blasted Computer, Building, Legal etc. There has been so much help available and help from people that on the whole you know you can trust. No matter what I needed to know, there was someone on TMF who would know the answer.

As far as I know, there's nowhere else like it.

How sad.

Fond regards,

Leither.
No. of Recommendations: 14
Noooooo!!!!

:(

Mel
Is it April 1st again? :-(
I originally ended up on the Fool boards after reading about the Motley Fool on the BBC News website.

Over the years I've received a good few valuable tips from fellow posters and I hope I've been able to help others as well. I've also wasted far, far much too time browsing the boards and posting my own brand of gibberish. In fact, I've often thought I should give up on the Fool and get stuck into some real work instead - it looks like that decision has just been made for me :(

When I first signed up I wanted to try and get my finances under control and I have been able to do that. I still have some mortgage left to pay off but it is less than 25% of what I had back then which isn't too bad as we now live in a far bigger house with many more responsibilities. Maybe my time on here was well spent after all?

I've also enjoyed reading the posts from many other Fools and even met a couple. Sadly there are a few who are no longer with us.
Strange decision. Internet message boards do not really need to be "maintained". There really does not need to be any work done surely once up and running? Even the amount of memory required to store the post must be tiny.

Unfortunately I will have no reason to visit this site in future.
Very sad news, but the fun lasted a long time :)

I'm migrating to http://boards.fool.com/ and I hope many of the best UK boards will do so too.

Watch out for the dates -- they think today is 3/11/2016 over there.
Very very sad.

Its no exaggeration to say that these boards have made a huge difference to my financial security as well as providing a useful source of information and advice.

I really hope someone takes a lead in initiating something to replace them, and I for one would be prepared to donate a modest amount if one of our regulars wants to set something up, perhaps with a subscription to cover costs.

A pity time is so tight, but then again, the best work is often done when up against a tight deadline...

Staffordian
the Fool UK Discussion Boards a very special place indeed.

Ave atque vale.
Hello TMFTarantula,

Thank you for this honest and open message. It's sad news for me, and no doubt many others. May I ask if the plan is to reopen the boards, or something similar, after the three months? Personally, I'm hoping your answer is in the affirmative.

Regards,

Ian.
For old times’ sake, I think this was the first ever post to the UK boards in January 1998:

http://boards.fool.co.uk/greetings-fool-5667966.aspx
It is very sad, there is no other site with discussions like this one. I have been to a few socials in my time, I read the boards often and post occasionally. I would be interested in a Facebook group. Liz
No. of Recommendations: 26
However, we're currently bringing the software platform of the UK Fool into line with our other International sites, and a consequence of that we have to lose parts of the site that are based on older technologies.

So, as well as the Boards, all of the pages that require you to be logged in will be disappearing — eg, 'Favourite Boards', 'Favourite Fools', 'Replies to Your Posts', 'Marked for Later Reply', and 'My Fool'. Also, the 'Profile' pages for posters — ie, the one with 'Info' and 'Activity' tabs — will be going, too.

Are you closing down the US discussion boards as well ? If not can you not make use of that technology and just migrate the current boards ?

Assuming this isn't some sick joke if you close down the discussion boards completely then you are pretty much killing off the UK Motley Fool as far as I can see.

Dave
It's been emotional.

manzanilla
No. of Recommendations: 8
I first signed up in April 1999 and without doubt TMF boards have been highly influential in my life. There have been very very few days when I have not logged into the TMF boards.

Other websites have come and gone and got nowhere near the influence upon my life as the TMF boards have had on mine. The knowledge, wisdom, humour and advice provided by the users are notable for their consistent quality. Thanks must also be given to TMF for providing an interface that has stood the test of time and for a pragmatic approach in moderating the boards.

Not bad for a bit of software originally designed to sell kitchens before TMF picked it up and further developed it.

Carcosa
I feel incredibly sad.

Hope we can find somewhere else to go..

StepOne
No. of Recommendations: 161
Is anyone interested in working with me to see if we can extract the boards from the Fool and keep them going?

Rob
No. of Recommendations: 32
I for one have found the Fool Boards invaluable since I first joined 16 years ago and will be sad that to see it go. There are so many kind souls who give up their time for others and I consider the boards an essential resource to share knowledge of others.

There are plenty of other communities online - but none with a quality like the Fool boards.

Does one think there is there an appetite to continue the community in some unofficial form? As a technical sort with suitable datacentre resource available (not quite to the scale of the Fool - but not insignificant), I would be happy to entertain putting something together for the community to thrive on?

If your house burns down - you rebuild it. Then again, do all good things come to an end?

Thoughts?

Are you closing down the US discussion boards as well ? If not can you not make use of that technology and just migrate the current boards

A very good question - though I expect the answer is that whatever the technical issues that the traffic, and any income generated from it, on the UK boards just can't sustain the level of moderation and support that they take.

A very sad day - this has been my first port of call on the net since early 1999, I'm not sure how I'll cope now! I guess I'll have to spend more time with the unmoderated delights of ADVFN and even LSE!

Many many thanks to everyone who has made this work so well over the past 17 year, both the moderators and the contributors.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Peter
Sad times.

MunroMan - I'd help.

Foolish best vm.
Terrible news, the boards are a big part of my life (now I just sound sad...)
I have set up We were the Motley Fool on google groups to mantain contacts surely very sad news that boards will be retired so here is an alternative, see you there D
I can't quite believe it.
This is so very sad. I've followed the boards for years although I don't post much, but I've always found the breadth of expertise and willingness to help from people here to be very reassuring. I feel quite panicky at the thought of losing contact with this rich seam of advice and knowledge. I've always felt that this was a great place to learn, and to ask for help, and I simply can't think of anywhere else online where I'd be prepared to ask 'stupid' questions about my finances and not be shot down. Is there anywhere else?

And what about all those people in Comfort Cafe who have shared their souls and found comfort and support? It will be very tough for them with only two weeks' notice.

The anonymity of sites like these, as opposed to Facebook, means people are prepared to talk honestly about their finances, or their emotions, to the benefit of all.

I do hope that another home can be found for this community, so the expertise and friendship isn't lost....

Thanks for everything
Alys
No. of Recommendations: 130
Oh dear. That's such a shame.

Would folk be interested in a new free to use site if one could be created and run economically?

I ask because Stooz (another Fool) and I created a couple of websites about 10 years ago, which had discussion forums. The main one is still going. Although I am no longer actively involved in it, I'd be happy to have a discussion with Stooz to see if we could host some of the TMF-like discussions? It coincides with me semi-retiring (or retiring) so might be a fun project. I have no idea what time Stooz has these days.

I would miss TMF a great deal.

Clariman
Does one think there is there an appetite to continue the community in some unofficial form? As a technical sort with suitable datacentre resource available (not quite to the scale of the Fool - but not insignificant), I would be happy to entertain putting something together for the community to thrive on?

Thank you for your kind offer 19k. I for one would fully support the venture, not monitory wise of course. LOL.

Regards,

Ian.
Not surprised, but very sad.

If we can't migrate the current boards to a different platform, I'd love to know what other places there may be for similar discussions - particularly for the financial boards. I've never found a site with grown up intelligent discussions, while also welcoming the lay person to understand, say, the intricacies of bank preference shares. I'm not the only one I'm sure who's made some cash from reading these boards one way or another, and I don't know where to turn for similar discussions. I'm no banker, but the Banking board has been an education (for example). And where would I turn if I ever needed legal support, other than Legal Issues - practical on here

Indeed, I'd happily pay my contribution to keep these boards, or something like them, open. Oh well.
yes i am interested please let me know your ideas i think google groups
Is anyone interested in working with me to see if we can extract the boards from the Fool and keep them going?

That would be transferring the information from one database to another, presumably. And by the sound of it -

Ideally it would be a matter of copying the board's posts from one database to another. I would guess that despite similar branding the US site uses newer software and that it might not be as simple as that, but likely possible if someone can be persuaded that it's worth the effort (cost).

DC
Very sad news

I have learned much from the posters here and it is very much appreciated, thank you all.

Best wishes

I will of course try Fool.com
This is not good.

As a relative newbie, I have got so much information on these boards, without it, I wonder where future newbies will get this info from?

Part of my renew decision fairly recently was based because of these boards. Its part of the package I thought I was getting. If it hadn't of existed, I probably wouldn't have renewed.

I think this is a mistake that you should reconsider and find another solution if the existing solution is not sustainable.

Regards.

TK
Well thanks to all the people who have made The Fool work over the years. I had to check when I joined it was December 20 1999. I think I've been on here pretty much daily since that time.

It's a shame to loose this virtual community, but life moves on, and so must we.
Sad, sad day....

TMFTarantula: we're currently bringing the software platform of the UK Fool into line with our other International sites, and a consequence of that we have to lose parts of the site that are based on older technologies.

That raises the question of what will happen to the private boards for your Premium services? If they are to continue, how is this possible while the public boards are considered incompatible?

PinkDalek1: "I don't suppose there's a UK Exiles board on TMF USA by any chance?"
Here you go:
http://boards.fool.com/son-of-british-invasion-115171.aspx
PD

As I understand it...
a) The UK boards are actually hosted on the US servers. As the US boards share the same 'ancient' coding, are they for the chop too?

b) Our login names and passwords work equally well on boards.fool.com but any attempt to post gets...

Community Application to Post

Thanks so much for your interest in posting on the The Motley Fool community. You can gain posting privileges in one of two ways: an existing member invites you or completing the application below. If you already know a member, hound him or her mercilessly to invite you! If you don't know any members but still would like to post, please answer the questions below.

Has anyone been accepted in by answering the questions?

Bree. :(
No. of Recommendations: 15
This is devastating news for me! And evidently for many others too....

It is appallingly short notice for what is effectively "eviction from a home". Should we not ask those who are willing to progress new boards to submit proposals and have people discuss and vote on an option? But it would have to be done with uncharacteristic speed and conciseness, with a willingness to to accept, tolerantly, the best "good enough" solution in the time available.

ATTN: TMF Tarantula - Could we not have more time and lots of cooperation?

M
Has anyone been accepted in by answering the questions?

Yes, very quickly
No. of Recommendations: 63
I am in tears. I just cannot believe it. How can I manage without Luniversal, Pink Dalek and all the others who have helped me with my finances over the years, starting with guiding me through probate when my husband died.

How do we keep in touch if we start up a new set of boards. There are so many people on these boards who are a fount of knowledge and helpfulness that is not found anywhere else that I have ever found elsewhere. This is my home and the first place I go to when I switch on my laptop.

I do think TMF could have given us more notice of this closure.

penym
I love the idea of independent resurrected boards elsewhere - I have to say that the US boards would probably get chop sooner or later, as they seem like the same software base, so I think migrating to the US boards would just be a temporary respite.

This could be the time to make a new TMF, one that is based on being a discussion site, like Reddit or Voat or suchlike. It could take advertising, although without a specific tagline, it would be hard to attract big advertisers. Maybe Panasonic Breadmakers might be interested ;)

I have emailed TMFTarantula to see if they would be able to help support a new venture, so if I get a response I'll let you know. I doubt that TMF could hand over their contact list, for privacy reasons - I sure wouldn't like it if someone else was given any info about me without my specific agreement.

Maybe Stockopedia or MoneySavingExpert might be a place for us to regroup, if they want us..?
The boards have been invaluable for me for years. I am at loss as to what I will do next. I picked up a lot of suggestions and knowledge from the forums. The forum posters supported and helped me, and gave me confidence with my investments.

The forums have so many experts who have put in so much time to write many many valuable posts, many of which I have bookmarked(I will need to convert to PDF now!!!!). I can not believe that they will all be gone in 3 months. It has been such a wonderful community where people help and support each other, thereby enriching many with financial education. Many many people(including me) have made a lot of financial decisions(and money), thanks to these forums.

Is there no way this can continue... it can be made a paid service and tried if that should be done.

If IT support/maintenance is an issue, I can volunteer to help.
I tried to find this group We were the Motley Fool in Google Groups, but no success??

penym
It would be a shame if people drifted from this fantastic Community, while the situation is in flux. Coordination and communication is the name of the game.

Perhaps all boards should be directed here so they can see what is being discussed
I am in tears.

I know how you feel. I am bereft.

WHs
So many knowledgable'friends' I've never met, and what am I going to do when drinking my morning coffee?

Ray.
No. of Recommendations: 23
A sad day indeed.

In February 1998, I had been using Fool.com for a while and TMFFoolUK had posted over there that UK boards were in preparation ... I guessed what the URL would be and landed here and started posting ...

I have just dug out my very first post:
http://boards.fool.co.uk/eddyuk-said-gt-just-come-over-from-...

I haven't posted much in recent years ... but I just sort of assumed that it would be always here.

I signed off that message with:
    Anyway, this looks good, I am looking forward
    to useful discussions here and planning
    to ...
        Grow

Well the boards did, we did, I did ... I guess that now it is time to go back to Fool.com

Grow
So where shall we go then? Citywire? Stockopedia? A Facebook group? Has someone started a discussion thread about what to do?

And can't we rescue this wonderful archive of information? I cant believe it is all going in the bin.

Very sad :-(

T
George - lovely to see a post from you on here, but sadly under such circumstances.
Trust all is well with you, and if anything happens regarding a resurrection, hope to hear more from you again.

Best wishes - NmNh

(but I've still not forgiven you for deleting a post of mine with over 100 recs ... the pain is with me still!)
I have signed up to one or other of your "premium" services every now and then by way of a financial contribution to TMF. The only useful feature of the site is the boards.

To anyone (Kiloran?) who might be setting up an alternative, please pass on the address.
Probably now is the right time for a stand alone discussion forum, I'm a subscriber to a photographic website, mu-43.com, which is hosted by an American guy for all things photographic, he has tried numerous platforms and recently settled on an offering from Xenforo after migrating the previous site over from vBulletin.

As far as i'm aware, he runs this site himself, as well as a couple of other specialist photography sites so maybe, the techies on here who are familiar with hosting services may want to look in that direction if there is an appetite for continuation, I'm not capable or in a position to look into it in any more detail, but as others have said, this site has been quite a large part of my life and not having anything similar to log into will leave a rather large hole in my daily activities.

Hosting costs are not a huge amount of money, and I'm ready to contribute to starting something up if there is a will and enough people of similar mind.

Chisels (in shock)
I have set up We were the Motley Fool on google groups to mantain contacts surely very sad news that boards will be retired so here is an alternative, see you there D

I'm struggling to find that. Can you provide a link please?
Hosting costs are not a huge amount of money

A hosting platform like Disqus isn't that expensive and provides the platform and administrator tools. It also allows you to see a poster's messages to other sites if that poster allows that.

The major cost is that you do need a system administrator, particularly if you want to moderate the discussions anything like to the extent that TMF does.
I blame Brexit.

I suppose this means I will actually have to do some work at work.

Thanks to the Fool staff and all the wonderful contributors out there. Hope to find you all on another site. I will try Fool US as a starter.

Very best wishes

Arizona11
Big thank-you to everyone, particularly those since 2001 who have educated me, amused me and above all enriched my experiences in so many ways.

Heraclitus has it in a nutshell https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Heraclitus

Rune Now what am I supposed to have on the PC as my homepage?
Hey NomoneyNohoney and all,

We'd love to have you, the community on Stockopedia is nothing short of fantastic. Accounts are, of course, free: http://www.stockopedia.com/auth/register/?redirect=discussio...

You'll also get access to all the articles the team write and any educational material you feel like reading/watching.
Stockopedia could take over the functionality if it wished, by adding extra boards/topics for Investment Trusts, or Banking, and all the rest..

Rob

phpBB https://www.phpbb.com/ is a common board format/system. For example as used by Bogleheads https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=10 and Debian http://forums.debian.net/index.php

Relatively easy to setup, but does require a server (or server space) and internet. Getting a temporary alternative going for continuity might be relatively easy, within the resources of exiting TMF participants IMO. The greatest effort is likely to be upon moderation (sufficient time/interest by individuals to moderate individual boards/topics, which on a popular board can involve 24/7).
phpBB https://www.phpbb.com/ is a common board format/system. For example as used by Bogleheads https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=10 and Debian http://forums.debian.net/index.php

Disqus is another one, which I mentioned earlier.

When Rob says "extract the boards" does he mean somehow copying the history across? That would be somewhere between very difficult/costly and impossible, even assuming that TMF were willing to release the data.

You'd have to start from nothing and probably have minimal moderation as well.
Arrrgh!

What a bummer of a year, with so many greats dying, but few of them gave advance notice.

17 years of posting to earn my big green star, all gone. Phht!

I'd be interested in any replacement.

Slarti
It ought to be archived: it's a great source of knowledge and information, and would be a crime to just bin it.
I don't see that it needs to be seamless with any new set up though.

I would be willing to help with some technical stuff.
Something like a community crowd funding https://www.youcaring.com/funding-for-community-projects# could be used to fund the initial kit/setup. That's the first one I came across when doing a search. No experience of such matters myself ... anyone aware of alternative better choice(s)?

In principle, yes. If we can come up with a credible plan, I can offer web server/system development and security expertise to a community effort. Though I see others have already stepped up as techies.

But let's not repeat the Walled Gardens of TMF, with serious drawbacks such as a single controlling entity who can just pull the plug. Before there ever was the Fool, we had Usenet, which was open and community-driven - until a combination of forces enclosed the Commons.

I'm wondering about modern alternatives like individual blogs, using #Fool board names as keywords and generating RSS feeds, so one could subscribe to NewFoolish boards using a regular feed reader. Something like that could piggyback on existing systems such as Wordpress and a Planet aggregator.
We'd love to have you, the community on Stockopedia is nothing short of fantastic. Accounts are, of course, free: http://www.stockopedia.com/auth/register/?redirect=discussio......

You'll also get access to all the articles the team write and any educational material you feel like reading/watching.

Would they support the more general boards on pensions, ISAs, Brokers, Managing your finances etc rather than just boards on particular companies people might want to invest in ?

Dave
PinkDalek1: "I don't suppose there's a UK Exiles board on TMF USA by any chance?"
[Bree]: Here you go: http://boards.fool.com/british-invasion-113739.aspx
------------------

That's funny. I started on TMF-US in c97, almost before the TMF-UK fora got going with any scale.
'British Invasion' [US] was in reply to a board 'the Yanks' started on the then new TMF.co.uk site, in reply to their rather imperious 'American Invasion' board.
In fact IIRC I was the instigator or co-collaborator in forming the [BI] board; who knows long ago, but it was a lot of fun and we had some zany social pub-crawls in Manhattan.

I've not visited Fool.com for years, it'd be fun if that board still existed, at least in form that maintained the ongoing gentle sparring/humour intended. TMF-US dabbled in becoming subscription only many years ago then dropped it when the proposition apparently failed.

[We cranked it up a notch and created 'White House Invasion' in which the Brits virtually pitched our flag and declared DC a British territory again, though doubt that board gained enough long-term traction to still exist lol...]
If the plug gets pulled in a couple of weeks the first thing we need is a means of keeping in touch with efforts to provide an alternative. Perhaps one of the fool.com forums? Twitter?
Oh, and lots of IT experience here. Happy to help with setting up or migrating data.
TMFGrow: A sad day indeed.
In February 1998, I had been using Fool.com for a while and TMFFoolUK had posted over there that UK boards were in preparation ... I guessed what the URL would be and landed here and started posting ...

Watcha Grow, haha remember one of the 1st Fool socials, where was it some dodgy pub around Oxford Circus tube in c98? Well I did admire your beard? ;)
No. of Recommendations: 10
Would they support the more general boards on pensions, ISAs, Brokers, Managing your finances etc rather than just boards on particular companies people might want to invest in ?

Those are all financial boards; one of the real benefits of TMF have been the boards such as Help With This Blasted Computer!, Building & DIY, Living Below Your Means, Dealing With Debt etc etc. Would Stockopedia support those?

Regards,

Leither.
I feel shocked and bereft. Some might have seen this coming, but I didn't.

I have much to thank TMF for - the original PYAD articles came along just at the right time for me to adopt a different (and suitable) approach to investing in retirement. Quite what I would have done otherwise, one cannot guess, but it wouldn't have been nearly such an interesting process and that is due to the wonderful contributors to the discussions. To them goes a big accolade for they have taught me so much about how properly to construct and run a HYP (or an HYP!) these past ten years, as well as information concerning income ITs. Without naming names for fear of missing out some well known characters, I can say you have all guided me along, successfully (so far!) with methods, software and ideas.
It's no wonder I feel bereft and utterly sad.

Life for the next generation of investors is going to be the poorer for this closure.

I would like to thank the mods for all their stirling efforts which has kept the show on the road and maintained a civilised and dignified atmosphere throughout.

Now, on a purely selfish point, I'm hoping that the internet educated brains amongst my cyber-friends will find some way of being able to keep in touch, if only for the sake of keeping the software going. Only recently, HYPTUSS went to a new version and if in future the software starts failing, it'll be like "The lights are going out". I would certainly be clueless as the how to rectify anything.

I have hope still: if there is a need - and there clearly is a need - there is usually a solution.
It's too soon to say goodbye so I won't. I believe something will grow from this set back which will keep most of us in touch.

Arb.
If the plug gets pulled in a couple of weeks the first thing we need is a means of keeping in touch with efforts to provide an alternative. Perhaps one of the fool.com forums? Twitter?

I'm likely the exception, but you never know, my mobile phone just makes calls (old style) ... and I've never used Twitter (or Facebook). I've rarely used Paypal (less than a handful of times). So personally I'd prefer a board/forum of some kind. Push come to shove however and I'd be willing to learn how to be a Twit :)
penym,

"There are so many people on these boards who are a fount of knowledge and helpfulness that is not found anywhere else that I have ever found elsewhere. This is my home and the first place I go to when I switch on my laptop."

You echo my thoughts, and I have no doubt, those of many others. It's mainly finance, but it is also the collective knowledge and advice given freely on many subjects which is so valuable. You have a problem? post something on the Fool and there will be an answer within hours.

This is an almighty shame and will leave a hole in life. Mind you, my wife won't be so sad because I might spend more time talking with her:)

Arb.
You're not the exception! The Fool is the closest I've been to'social media'and my mobile is an ancient pay as you go that seldom gets used.

The help and advice I've received here over the years has been invaluable so I'm keeping my hopes alive that someone will be able to rescue us all, one way or another!

Please, please!

Tricia
That's funny. I started on TMF-US in c97, almost before the TMF-UK fora got going with any scale.
'British Invasion' [US] was in reply to a board 'the Yanks' started on the then new TMF.co.uk site, in reply to their rather imperious 'American Invasion' board.
In fact IIRC I was the instigator or co-collaborator in forming the [BI] board; who knows long ago, but it was a lot of fun and we had some zany social pub-crawls in Manhattan.

I've not visited Fool.com for years, it'd be fun if that board still existed, at least in form that maintained the ongoing gentle sparring/humour intended. TMF-US dabbled in becoming subscription only many years ago then dropped it when the proposition apparently failed.

It does still exist, http://boards.fool.com/welcome-graham-emma-32461944.aspx is the link to it.

A few UK Fools have found their way there today.

TJH
What will happen to the moderators, redundancy?
"PinkDalek1: "I don't suppose there's a UK Exiles board on TMF USA by any chance?"
[Bree]: Here you go: http://boards.fool.com/british-invasion-113739.aspx "

Not that it matters but I was answering the question and Bree. was adding to the discussion.

A few of us have already activated TMF USA account and have become Foolish newbies over there:

It is like Déjà vu all over again but can never be the same.

PD
Yes.
I'm shocked and saddened. I've only been here about five years, but have hugely valued the advice and support during my steep learning curve getting to grips with investing after an unexpected windfall.
I've also learned a huge amount about a whole range of financial and non financial topics, and I hope I've been able to give back in a small way by contributing when I can. I truly appreciate the time and care shown by many posters motivated only by a desire to help.

It would be great to try to maintain the boards somehow.There are two key challenges - preserving the very valuable archives (mc2fool is probably single handedly responsible for the most detailed analysis of state pension issues in existence!), and also maintaining a 'presence' with a searchable brand, so that new posters can find their way to the site. I would think the solution most likely to meet these challenges would be to somehow migrate to the US boards.

I'm not hopeful though, and will miss this place dreadfully. I do hang out elsewhere (Monevator and Bogleheads), but they're not really comparable. I've tried MSE, which is probably the closest in terms of community, but I've never got on with the format of their boards.
Sorry about that. The 'yes' was supposed to be in direct response to Munroman's query concerning interest in continuing elsewhere.
I would be prepared to contribute financially to a new forum if the idea gained traction. Please not facebook, twitter, yahoo groups, or any of those other things.

A stand alone, possibly subscription led forum would do it for me.

Those are all financial boards; one of the real benefits of TMF have been the boards such as Help With This Blasted Computer!, Building & DIY, Living Below Your Means, Dealing With Debt etc etc. Would Stockopedia support those?

Leither,

Just for info - The Living Below Your Means and Dealing with Debt boards sit under Managing your finances on
http://boards.fool.co.uk/managing-your-finances-5008.aspx

Dave
No. of Recommendations: 28
Like many I'm horrifed to hear the boards are shutting down.

To those who've asked whether anyone would help in any possible resurrection efforts or the creation of a new set of boards elsewhere, I would certainly be willing to lend assistance - as a web designer and SEO I have some expertise and I have hosting accounts where I could easily set up a discussion board or set up a comparison of different ones.
I can be contacted at
bill@spiderwriting.co.uk

My professional opinion is that a social media based alternative would be a failure - they just aren't suitable for this type of discussion and my opinion of Facebook from a privacy point of view would not be suitable for famiy listening!

However one thing that strikes me is that attempts to save the whole collection of boards here may be far too ambitious, whereas it might just be more achievable to either keep particular board communities together at another venue or a subset of the whole system e.g the investing boards only, or the wider financial boards only.
I realise that there are many other valuable boards that people will care about but if it comes to the point that we can only do so much then we may have to make difficult decisions, and restricting it to one of the above may be the only option.

In passing I do find the decision to close the boards rather odd and ominous for the service as a whole. The boards were the primary reason I maintained my Share Advisor membership after I rather lost faith in some of the recommendations. I learned far more by comparing the ideas and insights that came up on such as the HYP board with the ideas that were coming from the SA recs. Without that comparison I can't see me continuing to be a SA member, and I suspect I won't be alone. That suggests that TMF UK will either contract down to a much smaller operation of share tips or will cease to exist altogether as there will be little to give it the coherence that it has enjoyed over the years.

Spiderbill
Where am I going to be able to steal jokes from now?
More seriously, where am I going to be able to keep up with HYP news, recommendations and discussions?
No. of Recommendations: 95
Folks,

I can't let this go without offering just a few personal words.

Although I do understand the reasons for the closure, I'm very saddened by it. I've been around these boards since 1999, and that's been a significant part of my life.

And I've got to know a lot of good people over the years and have met quite a few of you at various Socials over the years (and I was one of the three non-TMF people who turned up at the very first one in London).

Anyway, in my role as a board moderator it's been a pleasure and a privilege serving you all.

Foolish best,
Alan
TMFBoing
No. of Recommendations: 24
Further to my earlier post, it's great to see so many people keen to see things continue and to offer to assist with creating something new.

I've had a quick email exchange with Stooz (we've not been in touch for a few years) and we're going to have a crack at putting up something for comment and/or usage. However, there are others who may wish to do something similar, which is fine.

Will keep you posted. Shouldn't take too long. As someone else said, there are probably too many boards here to manage/moderate, but we'll get something setup with a starter set of boards. If people like it, we can take it from there.

Clariman (& Stooz)
I think this is a sad day and also a reflection of the slow decline of TMF UK which now seems more focused on selling articles to other financial websites.

I support the idea of a new forum site. I don't like the idea of TMF US because I think we will have a lot of confusion and commentary from US focused investors when something such as HYP has a UK slant for the long term readers on this site. I do own some US shares but I want somewhere to specifically discuss UK investments.

People are throwing around an idea of a subscription site but in all honesty I don't think that will work. A free site with a couple of google ads and maybe an amazon affiliate banner should generate more than enough funds to cover hosting and running costs of a basic platform. I'm registered on a few forums which match my personal interests and the popular ones tend to be free ones.

If I had the time (which I don't) then I would offer to help with the set up and running of the site. I think anyone smart enough here could set up a valuable free to register community site and make a few bob out of the venture and I certainly wouldn't begrudge them that.

Sorry to see these boards go. TMF has in my view been in decline in recent years through poor management on their part. The early to mid-2000s were the height of their times when I think they excelled in all areas.

Thanks for all the friendships and support people. I hope that we can all reconnect somewhere very soon.
WHAT?!?!

I spend a day driving to Manchester and back again suffering from closed motorway junctions, interminal roadworks, 40MPH speed restrictions with no apparent reason. I thought things couldn't be any worse.

But I come back to this!!

The government claim they are interested in education - they should take a look at the MF Banking Sector board. I've learnt everything I think I know about bonds, prefs, pibs etc. etc from here. Thanks to this board I got into BOI, SAN, ELLA, LLPC, LLPD, NWBD, RUSP and others. My thanks to all the contributors who gave freely of their knowledge.

I really hope some way of continuing this valuable resourse can be found.
Sadly, TMF never really made a proper effort to make money from the boards. There was virtually zero crossover between the articles and the boards. The ability to comment on the articles was removed, to much annoyance. Hardly any of the TMF insiders used the boards (or if they did they stayed low key). The notable exception to this was PYAD, who generated a lot of interest, but they got rid of him to save a few quid. Several other high profile posters disappeared after over-zealous moderation. Then the moment a board got popular it got hidden on the Fringe. Who on earth thought this was a good strategy?

A shame. It could have been different.
Now, on a purely selfish point, I'm hoping that the internet educated brains amongst my cyber-friends will find some way of being able to keep in touch, if only for the sake of keeping the software going. Only recently, HYPTUSS went to a new version and if in future the software starts failing, it'll be like "The lights are going out". I would certainly be clueless as the how to rectify anything.

Hi Arb,

I've posted over on HYP Practical Board regarding my initial thoughts about this issue, which will hopefully help alleviate people's fears regarding the HYP Top Up Spreadsheet -

http://boards.fool.co.uk/will-this-eventually-also-stop-the-...

Anyone who uses the tool would do well to bookmark the TMF Software Repository URL for future use, as that's completely independent from Fool Towers and is likely to be around for quite some time yet -

http://tmffinancialsoftware.weebly.com/index.html

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
A sad day, although I'm sure we all knew it was coming at some point.
When the best of board can get topped by 10 recs then...

I've just logged into my MSE account for the first time since 2008, amazingly my guesses as to user name and password were spot on (and still on the system), so for those who are over there see you soon. Same user name as here.
Like everyone else I am saddened by this. I owe a lot to the Fool, I still have stocks from the old Qualiport that have done very well for me, and continue to do so. I might never have heard of Halma for example, had it not been for the Fool. It also introduced me to HYP which now forms a substantial part of my retirement income.

That said, it has been sad to see it slowly go downhill over the years. I remember when you could have a portfolio, and I used to use it for my general monitoring of what was up or down each day. I had to go elsewhere to do that. Then the quality of the articles declined to the point where many people, myself included, stopped reading them. Those that did would frequently comment below them to point out counter arguments, but unfortunately these comments sometimes pulled apart the article (often this was warranted though). The Fools response to this was to end the ability to comment on articles. This effectively drove a wedge between the boards and the rest of the site. Unfortunately I think the quality of the boards was sometimes seen as a threat to other parts, rather than something that could be leveraged. The boards were the only place where discussion was possible, and on them we continued to pick up ideas and learn from each other.

I feel particularly sorry for people still building their portfolio's. Who will miss somewhere like the HYP practical board where they could post 'I have enough for my next holding, here is my current portfolio, these are my possibles, what do people think?' This is the type of board that we should find another home for. Lets face it many sites (interactive investor for instance) have discussion board for individual companies.

I find Stockopedia very good and particularly follow Paulypilot's small cap value reports, for ideas on the fun part of my portfolio. If they could be persuaded to create boards for; HYP, Investment trusts, etc. I think that would be a great fit. I would certainly miss things like the HYP portfolio annual reviews, Luni's excellent and prodigious output, etc. (these are just the ones that immediately come to my mind there are others).

The moderation has sometimes seemed a bit heavy handed. By the staff and that self imposed by us. For example it has sometimes seemed that you weren't welcome on the HYP board unless you were a true believer and worshiper of the one god PYAD and all his works. Doubters were to be excommunicated. But healthy debate and discussion has been welcomed most of the time, and has been the strength of the boards. Moderation of some kind is necessary though if the standard of input is to remain high.

It is a shame that the Fool has never been able to leverage the strength of it's loyal board membership. I accept I haven't contributed much financially to the Fool, by buying their paid for services. The quality of the articles didn't encourage me to pay for tips from the Fool when the emphasis started to go in that direction, plus I had what I needed on the boards! Once the boards have gone I suspect the number of hits the sites gets will fall through the floor. Let's face it there is no shortage of sites where you read articles like '2 stocks to buy now for income' etc. I hope this isn't just to cut down on staff doing moderation, and jobs are at risk as a result of this.
No. of Recommendations: 33
I've had a quick email exchange with Stooz (we've not been in touch for a few years) and we're going to have a crack at putting up something for comment and/or usage. However, there are others who may wish to do something similar, which is fine.

Various well intentioned folk all creating competing alternative discussion boards is likely to lead to existing users either splitting to different sites or joining none of them. This at least as been my experience when this has occurred in other online communities.

It may be best for those wanting to create an alternative, to join forces and agree on a single approach. That way the user-base does not split or dissipate; it's that user-base which makes this place so special.
I can't let this go without offering just a few personal words.

Although I do understand the reasons for the closure, I'm very saddened by it. I've been around these boards since 1999, and that's been a significant part of my life.

Thanks for posting Alan.

Can I ask one question that must be on the minds of may of the shocked people hearing today's sad news?

Is there a particular pressing reason for such short notice in the closure of the boards?

On the face of it, giving such short notice doesn't give people much time to organise any sort of continuity-community situations, which is such a sad position for everyone to find themselves in.

On top of that, we're into the first week of November, on the cusp of the winter period. That's a time when many of us will get our most enjoyment out of the boards, during those dark winter months when community boards such as these can act as such a life-line to everyone involved.

Would it not have been at all possible to delay the board closures until the spring, to give some benefit to both of the above issues?

I'd even go so far as to suggest that if the decision to give such short notice is purely a financial one, then I'd have thought we'd have been able to do something to help remedy that, if it meant getting a longer grace period over the winter months.

Is there any chance of such a suggestion being taken seriously?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
Ferfuxake.
Rob - please just tell people like me who aren't very IT-savvy what we can do to support your efforts. I don't kmow what on earth I'll do without DAK or HWTBC (not to mention many other favourites). Can we enlist the likes of Bree et al to come up with a cunning plan? Fast.

Jon
some way of continuing this valuable resourse can be found.

Way Back is a great web site for looking up older copies of web sites, so hopefully even when TMF pulls the plug older copies of postings will continue to be available via Way Back https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://boards.fool.co.uk/Index...
Various well intentioned folk all creating competing alternative discussion boards is likely to lead to existing users either splitting to different sites or joining none of them. This at least as been my experience when this has occurred in other online communities.

It may be best for those wanting to create an alternative, to join forces and agree on a single approach. That way the user-base does not split or dissipate; it's that user-base which makes this place so special.

Surely the easiest thing would be to create some mirrored boards over at fool.com?

I can't see them being too keen on anything other than the boards with the heaviest traffic, perhaps someone at TMF this side of the pond could sound them out?
I'm reeling! Although I tend to lurk more than post these days, The Fool has been part of my life for many years.

Having just read through this thread, there seems to be a few people offering their skills to set up a UK alternative to the Fool boards and a lot of folk who support the idea.

In the two weeks left to us, is there any chance (way) of nominating a willing and able "administrator" to collate our email addresses with a view to keeping in the loop everyone interested in maintaining a new hub for this soon-to-be-homeless UK Fool community?
Is there a particular pressing reason for such short notice in the closure of the boards?

I really don't know any more than Jon has said - really sorry I can't be of any more help.

Foolish best,
Alan
TMFBoing

I really don't know any more than Jon has said - really sorry I can't be of any more help.

Thanks for the reply Alan.

Of course I should say at this point that whilst there's clearly a large amount of shock going round with regards to today's news, I do hope the news doesn't bring with it any connotations with regards to people's jobs in Fool Towers, and that you're all going to continue as you are, without the extra hassle that the board-moderation side of things has clearly given to all the great people there who have taken on the role over the years.

Many thanks for all your hard work in helping to maintain such a great community under the clear pressures of time and resources.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
No. of Recommendations: 11
Frankly I think the notice period is unbelievably short.

I currently maintain loss making ventures on the internet as I feel unable to do what the Fool has just done.

I see issues with transferring the data without permission for every data owner although I also see issues around the chat that these boards are hosted in the USA, as I understand it the EU does not approve of personal data being hosted in the USA. Perhaps as we are anon posters it is not personal data, (not sure)

Poor old Tarantuala at al have probably been given an ultimatum, seems a shame though that they have not allowed enough time to come up with an alternative.

I hate the idea of going to Google or Facebook as I am a luddite, suspicious, afraid in no particular order.

On top of all that my cat has gone missing and I think I need comfort café.

A couple of people have pointed to free (ish) to use boards, and I assume a few retired people might be happy to moderate?

Hard to see life being worthwhile without BnCs left field chat.
Mel's employment advice and other stuff
Clitheroe's brilliance on the law
Those that are make us laugh
and the fantastic investment discussions

I am bereft
I do hope the news doesn't bring with it any connotations with regards to people's jobs in Fool Towers

Thanks for the concern, but there's nobody going that I know of - I'm certainly sticking around to carry on writing articles.

Alan
TMFBoing
I do hope the news doesn't bring with it any connotations with regards to people's jobs in Fool Towers

Thanks for the concern, but there's nobody going that I know of - I'm certainly sticking around to carry on writing articles.

Well that's the best news of the day then Alan.

I'm sure I won't be the only one wishing you all the very best of luck with your on-going enterprises.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
Bugger.
Well if you are sticking around why can't you get involved with us in finding a less expensive home for the boards and why the short notice period?

Many thanks

NH
Without the discussion boards, will anyone use MF? I certainly will not.

Almost every day for the past 18 years (roughly) I have looked at the discussion boards.

Through the social events (Edinburgh), I have made good friends and met many interesting fellow investors.

Sadly, over the past few years, MF has deteriorated as a forum for discussion/information for serious investors. This is exemplified by the lightweight "Headline articles" - e.g. "Three stocks to buy today" etc written by junior journalists with minimal experience of investing.

The main value-added, I believe, has been provided by posters on the discussion boards with collective experience. Admittedly much dross but plenty of gold nuggets within the dross for those with time to look.

So all we are left with is "dross with out the gold nuggets"
Strange feelings.

I discovered the Fool in autumn 1999 when I moved to Sharjah.

Then and as now I felt isolated. I have loved the stories, anecdotes, arguments, misunderstandings and beliefs that many of you have made clear.

What to do?

It has been an education and the £0.33M invested may have gone to the porcelain wall had it not been for the beautiful Fool.

I have looked endlessly for a replacement knowing that this would occur, but nothing comes close.

Paul
It feels just a little ironic to me that MF these days is selling tip sheets that I have no interest in buying, based on the poor quality articles on the front page. Conversely, the one thing they have which I would gladly pay a little for is just being closed. Let's hope that perhaps they can sell it to us.
Are the US boards closing? If not then why now set up replica boards over there:

http://boards.fool.com/

Just create a sub-group "UK Boards" and under that put copies of the UK boards?

That aside, I'd just like to leave my warm thanks and regards for everyone that's posted here over the years. The quality of the investment comments here is significantly better than any other site and I have always thought that the principle of "community" has genuinely been adopted by many who have contributed here.

I've learnt a lot from others here and made some very good friends through the boards. Thank you to you all.

JakNife
No. of Recommendations: 99
Hi, TMFBoing

Alan
TMFBoing

This whole thing should be on Katastrophe Korner.

If I were you I would be looking very hard for another job. Without the discussion boards TMF has little meaning.

The Fool introduced me personally to PaulyPilot, carmensfella and many other Fools, some of whom remain close friends. Its ethos, at a time when we are bombarded with crooks, scammers and self-serving fund managers, was always to encourage self-investment and the idea that people can do better for themselves.

TMF UK used to boast that it 'had' PYAD, but eventually wasn't prepared to pay him what he was worth. His Dividend Letter with another publisher continues to prosper.

The articles on TMF UK have often been weak and ill-informed, and I think they have contributed to the dropping off of posters. Not a single article could hold a candle to the sage and highly informed posts by Gengulphus, on a whole range of investment topics.

TMF has not only been a refuge for those fortunate enough to have money to invest, but it has provided an unparalleled service to those in debt, and those who have to live frugally. In addition it has provided a forum for those who have problems with their computers and the internet, and a marvellous place to go to discuss many aspects of life.

Above all it has provided the vehicle by which people with common interests were able to meet and to get to know the real people behind the posts.

I think the greatest irony of all is that post the Osborne 'freedom for pensions savings' there must be millions of citizens facing uncertainty at their future retirement dates, or now if they are above the critical age at which one may start to cash in on ones savings. TMF should be the 'go to' place for honest advice and opinion on all that. It should be attracting thousands of new members every week.

Yet it is perhaps the weak articles and tip-sheet spam that have been the most off-putting. I have recommended TMF to many people over the last few years and they have regularly responded;- "Oh yes. I get loads of e-mails from them. I didn't know there were discussion boards!"

I presume TMF UK has been losing money because the boards are expensive to maintain?

This is a black day for investors and those in debt. No doubt we will find ways to continue to meet up with those we already know. But where are the newbies who need support supposed to go in an uncertain and self-serving world?

KMcK
Well there goes any reason to visit the Motley Fool.

Well yes...
Are the US boards closing? If not then why now set up replica boards over there:

http://boards.fool.com/

Just create a sub-group "UK Boards" and under that put copies of the UK boards?

I'm guessing, but it looks like the boards are limited to a 2-level hierarchy, such as

Information Desk
What's New at the Motley Fool
Ask a Foolish Question
Improve the Fool
etc

If we had a top level of "UK Boards", there would be a very long (unmanageable?) list of boards at the lower level.

Just my guess.

--kiloran
You don't say if you wish UK Fools to go and post on the US site - certainly nothing suggesting you want any ?

There is already a British thread going in the Social section of US TMF. (Link given in a post on this board)

Currently you can log on to US TMF with UK TMF credentials easily enough. I remember in the 'Old Days' this was possible but I thought that, when I tried this a few years ago, it was no longer possible. Perhaps this has recently been changed again.
No. of Recommendations: 66
Wow, this is kinda sudden. I grew up financially because of the fool, and hopefully a few will have found my stoozing posts of benefit in the past.

Sorry for the impertinence, but with the demise occurring so soon, and the need to find temporary accommodation sooner rather than later. I have taken the liberty of kicking the ball firmly into action and setup a quick replica of some of the core discussions from tmf.

lemonfool.co.uk

I'm a bit like that sometimes, bull in a china shop. Please accept my apologies if I have stepped on anyone's toes.

But before we all get to agree the best place to go, we might lose the very place we are having the discussions!

So please feel free to jump into the lemon lounge and carry on the debate and hopefully at least those still in need of immediate help (dealing with debt for example) can continue to get the support they need when the doors shut here.

I am more than happy to keep developing it's potential while nothing better exists, and I can quickly spin up more forums and sub forums as required.

All the best fellow fools

Stooz
No. of Recommendations: 14
Well after reading all of these posts, I am truly amazed but not totally shocked what a bunch of cheapskates most of you lot are. Pissing and moaning away thinking this would just go on until you dropped dead but has anyone here offered financial support to keep us all together...???

Think there are about 139 posts and only one person has partly hinted at it. It's fairly obvious that TMF has been losing money, but even if it's true TMF Tarantula about some code breaking up, why haven't you suggested some sticky spider glue(like in the films) to hold us all together as in cough up time???

I for one would be more than prepared to pay about 12-20 pounds per month to see these boards "remain"(oh that word again)...what would it take?.....you keep asking for money for stock tips, but how many people would join me and how many people would you need to keep going?

Yes, must have been here for 15 years or so and what a fantastic bunch of people I have virtually met. Don't throw this all away..do something?

So I am going to be a rec queen here, go out in a blaze of rec glory(but I actually hope not) Give me a rec if you will join me financially in trying to save our Community. I believe its worth every penny, do you?

By the way..I live in the States but spend more time on the UK boards than I do back home..

Regardless the very best to all of you. Bran.
"The major cost is that you do need a system administrator, particularly if you want to moderate the discussions anything like to the extent that TMF does."

Absolutely. I think the main reason the TMF boards have stood out from others and attracted such high quality contributions is the presence of good moderators.

I would willingly pay a modest amount for such an essential feature. Without moderators I think the forum would inevitably degenerate.
Well after reading all of these posts, I am truly amazed but not totally shocked what a bunch of cheapskates most of you lot are. Pissing and moaning away thinking this would just go on until you dropped dead but has anyone here offered financial support to keep us all together...???

Yes, actually quite a few Fools have said in the past that they'd be willing to pay a subscription for the boards. I won't try to track down the posts concerned right now, but they do exist.

TMF's response, on the occasions when there has been one, has been along the lines of "We've looked at the possibility, but unfortunately our look says that it is not viable." And I'm afraid I believe them... Basically, the issue will be that of the subscription level: the higher TMF sets it, the fewer subscribers they'll get, and it's not clear that there is any point on that curve at which it's financially worthwhile, given the added costs of collecting the subscriptions and setting up a reasonable offering: once they're actually taking money for the service, they really have to commit themselves to doing something for subscribers that they don't for subscribers, even if it's only some sort of promise to stay around for them!

Gengulphus
I am really sad we are losing what has been an invaluable source of information to all participants. And I really hope that an alternative is found.

One very busy board is the VCT board - with knowledgeable people thereon and this has a group of lurkers - the VCT managers. They read it all and occasionally act on comments. Occasionally a group of Fools get together and 'gang up' on the Manager with a result that the managers and the BOD do something. This is an example

http://boards.fool.co.uk/ven2-strategy-note-13455271.aspx?so...

This is going to be a very hard feature to replace.

Other boards where major providers lurk and sometime participate are the pension/SIPP boards
Bran,

I think that's unecessarily cynical, if I may say so. I, and many others I expect, would be perfectly willing to pay a subscription either to start up something new or to keep these boards going. As far as I know, TMF have never given any hint that such a thing may be possible, and that isn't the "up front" reason for wanting to close down. It may be that the current architecture is no longer unworkable and cannot be updated without a huge input of capital which the lack of profit does not justify.

The problem is, that we haven't the remotest idea at all what the cost of the existing system is and in particular what the legal implications and liability might be. Get that wrong and you could be squashed like a fly.

So, if people have concrete proposals, that's the time to see if we are cheapskates or not.

Arb.
Must have visited the site most days for the last 15 years, it's helped me take control of my investments so much.

What a shame :(
I have just dropped Ed Croft (CEO Stockopedia) a line to see if he can help us out.

Hopefully he'll oblige and set up the boards over there and we all can carry on.

Dunno about the old data though -- details, details, details ....
not a good day, this board has been so useful in building my portfolios over the years.

only the other week I got an amazing and comprehensive explanation of the rights issue process for one of my shares from Gengulphus, I really don't know anywhere else on the web where that sort of advise is so freely given. it performed a unique function in my view, the only continual surprise to me is that it isn't swarming with millions of posters! if you're into looking after your own finances, why wouldn't you be here...the info is so good!
Why not leave the boards free-to-view but charge a few pennies for each post made?

Or why not force watching an advert (skippable after 5 seconds) before submitting a post?

There are plenty of options.
London Stock Exchange responds to news that the TMF Forums are closing by dropping over 1% this morning. :-(

Been part of my life for many years. Initially on the Stoozing front with Clariman and Stooz, now the HYP boards.

Will need to keep up with Koliran and itsallaguess for HYPTUSS updates. Fortunately my Portfolio is looking good for my full retirement in a couple of years thanks to TMF boards.

Raptor.
Doubly sad.

To lose a great community of posters and such an invaluable history of posts.

I would love to see a phoenix rise from the ashes of TMF, but one thing no-one has mentioned yet is the issue of usernames. Can you imagine anyone but ClitheroeKid posting under that moniker? On a new site, nothing stopping anyone from hijacking a username.

If we could get TMF to agree to a minor coding exercise (we collectively pay, and a chance for a small profit for TMF), we could log in to TMF, click a link submitting to terms and conditions or whatever, and then our username is then passed over to a third party via a secure link, and we then assign a new password at that site. This third party would be hosting just the username/password database - we can then agree at a later date to transfer to the preferred provider of the phoenix boards.

Secondly, the historical posts. Even if we are not permitted access to the posts to transfer to a new site, there must be mileage (and profit) for selling on a DVD of the boards. A knowledgeable poster could take (say) an xml dump of some test posts and put together a process for transferring the data to a DVD format. TMF can then sell on the DVDs to those who see value in them. No cost to them other than providing a means of transferring the data to a third party (or we collectively pay for the development at TMF) if that is possible.

As to copyright, I thought TMF owned the copyright to posts, so they should be able to do this without consent of posters?

17 years. I'll miss my almost daily fix.

Meatyfool..
Damn. Wrong about the copyright!

Anyone now how to do an automated screen scrape? ;-)

How about using browser "read offline" tech. Does it still exist? Used to be able to navigate to a start page and then download down "n" links" to a file on your hard disk.

Meatyfool..
As to copyright, I thought TMF owned the copyright to posts, so they should be able to do this without consent of posters?

They don't own the copyright, but they already have consent in the terms & conditions that every poster must have signed up to - from http://www.fool.co.uk/help/terms-and-conditions/ :

"Your content

You hold the copyright in the expression that you post on our sites. Please note, however, that when you post content (such as a discussion board post) in our internet areas, you expressly grant The Motley Fool a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, edit, alter, adapt, translate, copy, publish, continue to publish or republish the submission (and/or an edited, adapted or translated version of it or part of it) (‘the Work’) and/or to sell or otherwise communicate or distribute the Work, as part of an edited compilation or in any other way howsoever. The license is capable of sub-license, unlimited in the use to which we may put the Work and exists whether or not you remain a registered user.

As the license is irrevocable, this means, for example, that we do not have to remove your posts even if you would like us to and even if you are no longer a registered user.

We’ll credit you (under your user name (either the one existing at the time of the post or otherwise) as the author in any use of your material. By submitting your post you warrant that you have the right to grant The Motley Fool the non-exclusive copyright license described above.
"

So they don't need any further consent from users, and users cannot withdraw that existing consent, making what you suggest legally possible. (Whether it is technically feasible depends on just how much content there is in the boards - I suspect it's quite a large amount, even by modern-day data storage standards...)

The important difference about copyright is that if TMF owned the copyright, the authors themselves would not be allowed to use the posts. As it is, though, the authors retain the copyright to their own posts and can use them as they like. (But note they don't own the copyright to other posters' posts, and so are only properly allowed to use them in "fair use" ways - things like reasonably small quotes from someone else's work for the purpose of review or criticism. My guess is that most other posters will be fairly free and easy about that, at least as long as the use is not abusive or for commercial gain - but that's certainly not guaranteed!)

Gengulphus
A quick look at The Motley Fool Limited's most recent publicly-available accounts (y/e 30 September 2015)...

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03736872/filing-h...

...does show that pretty drastic steps were going to be needed if TMF UK were to continue in any form at all.
Totally gutted.

The TMF message boards are an enormous library of information not only about every topic under the sun but also a databank of experts and places to get help.

I would pay to continue to have access to them.
I suspect many other regular posters would also.
I am surprised this wasn't at least aired with the subscribers before the plug was pulled.

I'll support any initiative to either keep them running or go elsewhere.

Gutted.
This is indeed a sad time. Like others, the Fool was one of my first forays into community boards. I am a member of several sites, but this one is the most long standing site that I frequent and has always been one of my favourites. I have basically "grown up" with the Fool, joining not long after leaving university. I have learnt a great deal from the Fool, especially in financial matters. I will have no hesitation in providing any financial assistance to any new endevours. I am not skilled in the likes of web hosting but am happy to also help out in any other capacity - moderation, administration etc.

Jess

PS I have registered with the Lemon Fools but my registration email as of yet has not been forthcoming.
Ah feck.
PS I have registered with the Lemon Fools but my registration email as of yet has not been forthcoming.

Check if it been directed to your Spam folder

--kiloran
Another forum I use a lot snowheads.com don't charge per se but do have a system of voluntary contributions (tied to which are a few good but not essential features) which I presume keeps the whole thing ticking over. I believe it was started by a guy who was frustrated by Ski Club of Great Britain's decision to restrict their forum to members only.

I hope a similar thing happens hear. Snowheads as a similar vibe to these boards but of course a snowsports focus.

GO
I might not post much but the Fool boards are a staple in our house - the first suggestion to finding the answer to so many problems and queries. My ISA wouldn't be as healthy as it is today without having the boards as a start point. It has educated, amused and enriched our lives.

Thank you to everyone who's looking into alternatives. Here's hoping that a solution can be found in the time available so we can all migrate together rather than going into eternal hibernation.

MM

Check if it been directed to your Spam folder

--kiloran

Still nothing as of yet, and I have been checking my spam folder (got a Tesco voucher and something quite rude waiting for me apparently though). I am using an AOL address, so maybe that is partly the problem. I shall contact Clariman off board if I've still not received anything in another hour or so.
I've lurked on here for years. The first online community I really enjoyed and valued.
The education imparted has been priceless.
Profuse thanks to the regular and irregular posters and moderators. I have benefited enormously from your thoughts and ideas.

Another underrated role has been the psychological balance that the considered views bring.
It's been a wonderful place to counter the irrational panic and the unwarranted optimism.

Not sure where I'll go now. Social media in its current forms doesn't appeal to me.

What a loss.
It's a very sad day.

A big thank you to the many Fools who have freely given their time to post illuminating, erudite and insightful articles on all matters financial. I have benefited hugely from this, both financially and through the enjoyment derived from reading multitudinous thought-provoking posts.

It's hard to define the concept of "Foolishness", but it seems to me to embrace the idea of a philosophy which doesn't necessarily follow mainstream received wisdom or the party line, but is always willing to engage in reasoned argument even when presented with ideas that are maybe heretical, or just plain bonkers. As for "Motliness", the fact that participants on the discussion boards appear to be drawn from a very broad range of occupations, ages, political orientations, levels of education and financial capabilities is a major factor that has stimulated the quality and variety of the discussions.

Like many, I believe that TMF lost its way some years ago when it tried to monetize its operation, without giving any thought to the value of its online community. OK,

TMF may continue without us, but in my opinion it will be neither Motley, nor Foolish if it does so.

kind regards and thanks to all,
Spasmodicus
Really really sad - nay, upset - to hear this news. I first joined the Fool almost 20 years ago when I was dealing with debt and it is in great part due to the help and support I received from fellow Fools that I am no longer dealing with debt and that I didn't go under at the time. I have stuck around, I find the boards absolutely invaluable for information, sensible advice and opinion, intelligent debate and good-natured banter. There are a lot of Fools whose opinions and expertise I really value and who have helped me, whether they know that or not, with all manner of issues, financial and otherwise, over the years and who have broadened my horizons with new knowledge. Obviously, where I can, I help and support others in return.

I do not know of any other forum that is quite like the Fool boards in the breadth of topics covered, the knowledge and experience of the users and their willingness to help and to (mostly) discuss things in a civilised and friendly way. The 'vibe' on the Fool boards is unique in my experience. The Fool boards are always my go-to place if I have any query or problem. Although I have only met, in real life, one other Fool (and the person who introduced me in the first place) this is a real community, these people are my friends, and closure of the boards is a devastating loss, compounded by the short notice.

Thank you to clariman and stooz for working on a solution (I will be over there shortly) and to all the mods who have overseen the boards over the years and maintained that vibe.
Thanks for the prompt action. I've registered with the site, but not yet received an activation email. I've checked the spam folder, etc. How long are these emails taking to come through ?

John
Thanks for the prompt action. I've registered with the site, but not yet received an activation email. I've checked the spam folder, etc. How long are these emails taking to come through ?

John

I registered about an hour ago. No email yet. They are probably getting a lot of traffic.

Gostevie
This really is a great shame.

I first joined the Boards on Boxing Day 1999 and almost daily I've enjoyed and learnt tons from the invaluable resource that is the MFUK Boards.

Here's hoping something can rise from the ashes. The historic information here is too valuable to ditch into the internet ether and every day now I check at least the Best Of. It remains a daily input to my investment and soft-topic considerations and the posts of others challenges my thinking.

I would happily pay an annual subscription just to use the Boards and in fact paying for it would probably encourage me to post more often.

I certainly wouldn't go down the Facebook or Twitter road, and starting to use MSE (for softer topics) and Stockopedia (for companies and investment) just simply doubles up what is available here in a single resource which has to be the best all-encompassing home for soft and investment topics that exists.

Thank you all.
I like the idea of Lemon Fools and have registered there. It might be what we are all looking for.

Only a couple of problems at the moment:

- still waiting for the registration activation e-mail (Yes I'm checking spam on my hotmail)

- plus the site is currently showing an SQL error so is unusable.
Legacy - something I think about as I get older.

Just wonder if the Fool's founders would be willing to extend the discussion boards beyond the 2 week limit - understand it's a commercial decision, but is this sufficient time to enable some form of continuity? What kind of legacy do you want to show from all the hard work and time spent over the past 18 years? The Fool is a special place - a one stop shop for meaningful, unWise, financial advice, but that's supported by the fringe boards, who provide engagement on non financial topics and develop trust amongst community members.

Can see the logic of transferring existing UK boards to the US site, but a sudden rush of traffic on boards for freeloading limeys might see them shuttered. ;-)

There can certainly be rationalisation (do we need individual Share boards) but the benefit of the Fool has been accessing a collective, and to fragment it between different sites would be to lose the breadth of contributors to the boards.

I would be happy to subscribe to a site with a pared down number of existing boards, but think there needs to be more time to identify what boards to retain, what platform to use, subscriber (or other) model. I think extending by a further 6 weeks to the end of the year brings to an appropriate time for closure, and provides more time and opportunity to continue the asset that is the MF community.

bots33
Very sad, been reading posts since 2000...

Have been amused, educated and informed by many people, who probably dont even know they helped. So thank you to all of those people..

Fleavil
Hi Dave,

We're literally just building those sorts of things out into our new website. We're going to have a communities page where you can go to specific boards like Brokers, ISA, etc

I'll talk with the team and see if we can get these things put on the current site for the time people to accommodate for for MF closing.

Adam
Here goes: (click ignore if easily offended)

1.0 The Motley Fool Ltd - Report and Financial Statements Period ended 30 September 2015
1.1 Results and dividends: The loss for the period after taxation amounted to £1,003,667 (period 18 months) (2015 - loss £236,369, period 12 months).
1.2 Review of the business - The directors consider the results for the period to be satisfactory.

Imminent (short notice) closure might reflect a difference in attitude between Brits and Americans?

2.0 Mrs Bnc is going to miss the write-ups about Strictly. Whether she will miss most of the jokes I get from JB is a moot point.

3.0 Yours truly, what can I say?

3.1 I could say: "where's simsqu when you need him?"

3.2 I could say that having been banned from posting on JB for most of 2016 (or since sometime in 2015 I cannot remember), a ban that has left me feeling miserable because when scouring the web for humour I do not have a test-bed to copy, paste onto TMF whether a joke I've come across would probably be found funny/amusing by my friends in the real world, might've been a helpful tip-off by TMF.

3.2.1 In my philosophy, rejection is a compliment. TMF aware of the problem (see 1.1 above) and what would have to happen found a legit way to get rid of my contributions long before the problem manifested in reality. Others more confident have been jumping ship voluntarily, which could explain why in recent years there has been a drop in the number of posters. There is after all only one way to make money when sales are flat and keeping up appearances not worth the effort and that is to change direction, and simultaneously reduce overheads and operating costs. I shall look forward to reading the Report and Financial statements for 2016.

3.3 I know some Fools, well I should imagine rather a lot really, think, many of my posts unnecessarily provocative, bizarre, peculiar, weird, illogical, whether I'm serious, must be joking surely?, can't understand what I'm talking about, and so on, but of course TMF being on-line those Fools concerned have no way of knowing what it's like in the real world. So let me put your minds at rest. Most of the people I know in real life can't understand what I'm talking about either!

3.3.1 On that score, some Fools have expressed sympathy concerning Mrs Bnc having to put up with me every day. Mrs Bnc also wonders how she manages.

4.0 When I first registered on TMF, I had in mind to make a name for myself on the Boards by contributing to topics in which I have some knowledge. As it happens, I don't know very much about a lot of things, especially the sort of things that most people seem to find interesting. Rarely do I encounter people on the same wavelength as mine in real life so I wasn't expecting to experience a surge of enthusiasm for my contributions. Since I didn't define my terms, I cannot complain about the name made. I am used to being told, both by strangers and friends, how to express myself when communicating and what is meant by polite society, etc so I expected the usual flak. What I didn't allow for was that I might be sufficiently strong in character not only to withstand the barrage and ridicule but also carry on regardless.

4.1 Having persevered through thick and thin, having gone beyond the stage at which previously I would've have quit, I have from TMF in my life experienced on-ine a similar range of benefits, enjoyment and pleasure that I get from my commitment to friendships in real life. I don't think I'd go as far as CK thinking of TMF as like a gentleman's club, but it has been enjoyable to belong to a community of people from diverse walks of life, achievements, and so on.

4.2 CK has had so many special mentions that it might seem trite to add another. I value his comments, the time he gives to answering questions, (1 paragraph £250, 2 paras £500, etc, +VAT) gives a new meaning to pro bono work; his recent comment concerning misrepresentation was for me representative. CK is a real treasure. If i were a drinking man then I'd bet someone would buy him a ringside seat at the Supreme Court.

4.3 At one stage, I thought I'd have to visit IoW on business and meet IoWPete who rightly told TMF words to the effect that my knowledge of residential tenancy law is limited. In other early days, the number of women lining up to slap my face for some comments I'd made on DD could have been counted. GOM became GOF and for me lost something. I rarely ventured onto LOST: seems full of people who seem to think things would be better run their way. I'd like to think Mel and I finally found a safe distance between us.

4.4 There are other Fools too few to mention (such as AleisterCrowley, PD, Slarti, Penym, RedSturgeon, Nanakath), that by not doing so specifically should nevertheless be assured their comments, criticisms and banter have been appreciated. Having looked at my activity info page, I find I have (so far) attracted 78 followers, just 12 short of the number of followers I gathered within a few days of being on Twitter (before closing the Twitter account). Having been on TMF since 22 December 22 2005, I put the fewer number down to more discerning folk. More discerning perhaps a consequence of my first post: "If it were not for the prospect of countless IVAs Debtmatters' sp might not have gone up over the last few days thereby enabling me to make enough profit for a bottle of Krug '99 that otherwise I would've had to buy on my credit card."

Never having been to a Fool Social, perhaps I should have invited a token representative to my 60 birthday party at Cliveden (Spring Cottage)? Better still I thank Beerpig for having initiated BS and what has evolved into probably the most convivial discussion board and where during the hectic moments during a busy day one could pop in for a controversial chat with Coleyfish. In the board initiation ceremony, my initiated Commercial Property Board generated some offerings and where at least I could contribute from my own know-how.

5.0 The Stock Market (FTSE and Dow Jones) seems to have factored in all anticipated shocks to the system so in the unlikely event Mrs Clinton is elected the USA's next President I doubt the markets will overact. Whether on 17 November 2016 there is going to be a catastrophic collapse of a magnitude that the financial world has never experienced before is something to look forward to.

I for one am going to miss not being able to read what ordinary mortals (myself included) have to say about all manner of things. Which means that a few minutes, or an hour of so, during my working day will in future have to be occupied by working. Which actually is what I used to do before TMF came into my life. It's going to be a wrench, especially now I'm giving up comfort eating.

As Mrs Bnc said when I told her of TMF's impending demise, gosh you're really going to miss it.

I am.

And not just me, the outpouring of sadness and grief on the boards is heart-warming. In the same way that Brexit is more important than the EU, some things are more important than money (‘more important than money’ is a phrase more normally reserved to people with more money, but in this case I’ll make an exception), creating a community of discussion boards arguably (emphatically) the best on the internet is an achievement TMF should be proud of, especially since business is not an extension of social services.

When talking with friends, I never refer to TMF by name but as the 'internet board I inhabit". Thank you for letting me in.

Bnc

ps - I shall not push my luck and post an op on JB. The prospect of being banned from TMF in its final days would look too good on my cv.
like all the rest i'm saddened by this news , BUT
I wonder if TMF would be willing to let us know :
how many of us there are,
how many have posted in the last month ,
how many posts the site gets etc etc
so we have a feel for the scale of the problem/opportunity?
my impression is that lurkers outnumber posters by a factor of several, are there hundreds of us or thousands?

I can't believe that it is a big issue to TMF to offer a short summary of useful data.
how about it?
casa (willing to help in any possible way)
You know BnC, I've been thinking about you recently.
The thing is, I don't understand you. You're the soldier marching along to your own drum-beat, and I used to think you were wrong for that.
The strange thing is, I feel quite an affection for you, and while I don't understand you, I think that's a fault with me, not you.

Sometimes I have really enjoyed some of the things you have said - your yearly round-robin springs to mind, for example. I would add you to the people I'd really miss if this became a good-bye. Your occasional awkwardness, your inability to realise what reaction you might get - these actually I find quite endearing.
For those reasons, I do hope wherever the TMF campers end up, I hope you too will be there, as like the TMF (old) motto, you educate, amuse and enrich, in your own way.
You can be stimulating and provocative, whatever glasses you wear give you a different outlook on the world than that I'm used to and I value that - if we were all the same, how boring the world would be.

PS. You may have noticed that people are clustering at lemonfool.co.uk.
Why don't you register too, and then see if TMF Mk.II is more to your liking?

Enough gush - as Mr.T from the A-Team would say, - "You Crazy Fool" - and I like you for it.
You know BnC, I've been thinking about you recently.
Thank you, I've been thinking about me recently too.

The thing is, I don't understand you.

The following verse from "Road Not Taken' poem by Robert Frost might help:

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

To put it another way, if everyone took the road less travelled the other road would be less busy.

PS. You may have noticed that people are clustering at lemonfool.co.uk.
Why don't you register too, and then see if TMF Mk.II is more to your liking?

I have registered, thank you for the link.

Best wishes NN.
It's my sad duty to announce that we'll be closing the Fool UK Discussion Boards to new posts on Thursday 17 November.

Hi Jon,

A thought has just occurred to me that the really short notice-period that's been given for the closing of the UK boards might have real-world consequences for people that aren't currently able to access the boards and get to see what alternatives might be available for those still wanting to keep involved with the UK TMF community elsewhere on the internet.

Can I please ask if TMF has considered sending out emails to all active and non-active members, not only informing them of the above situation (which they'd not get to hear about if they have not logged onto the boards lately), but also perhaps to let them know of the growing TMF community that's currently gathering over on the following message-board website -

http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/

Would you be able to support these two suggestions Jon?

As a third, separate suggestion and request, do you think there would be some way to keep a URL link on the UK TMF website somewhere, under a suitable link for people that may want to find it, to let people know of the above website, or any other mainstream alternative if one comes up, so that people can still 'get there' once the boards themselves have closed?

I'll report this post to bring it to your attention, with the hope that you might be able to reply here. I do hope that in the community-spirit of the TMF ethos, you're able to help support these suggestions with the aim of minimising the impact of this recent news.

Many thanks, and Kind Regards,

Itsallaguess
This is very sad news, been a registered Fool since early 1999.

The reasons given for closure don't sound very convincing to me, the boards cannot require that much maintenance surely ?

Anyway, a most regrettable development.
BnC: To put it another way, if everyone took the road less traveled the other road would be less busy.
And , annoyingly, the other would become the road less traveled. An important life lesson for us all.
See you on Lemon Fool BnC, I hope you don't change !!
I hope you don't change !!

When one is oneself, the only alternative is not to be. Not being themselves is how problems start!

I was just about to print this thread so I could read all the comments to Mrs Bnc over dinner this evening.
109 pages! Must be joking. Even printed duplex far too many.

On LF I have suggested a board entitled Behavioural Psychology.
I hope the requested will be granted.

Incidentally, i wonder if TMF is aware that it is giving up one the most valuable and sought-after mailing lists in the financial industry. Hundreds of people, many of whom adept at finding fault with financial products. As and when the next incarnation of TMF is launched, it will be fun to see how it copes with the sort of criticism of financial products/services that currently anyone on Fool is banned from making!

Have you actually tried logging in? As far as I can see the registration email is purely informational. Often with this sort of thing there's a link in the email you have to click on to 'activate' the account, but that's not the case here.

Stompa
Yes, I didnt get an email but I seem to be in.

T
This is indeed terrible news! I cannot imagine life without the Boards. Facebook and Twitter simply cannot replace the Boards. Very, very sad.

OC
OC try Lemon fool, which seems to be collecting many of the active Fool posters. You will find some advantage, perhaps, because you can post images directly.

You would probably want to suggest that stooz/clariman adds a TA board.

Arb.
Wow!!! Amazing, and both sad and I believe short-sighted in equal measures

Sad for obvious reasons. Whilst I havent posted regularly on here for a few years, the Boards are a place where I visit every couple days and a great source of information and trading ideas. They're always a place where you can find someone who knows the answer to a question which you have. This is a huge loss for private investors in the UK and a huge loss for any people wanting to begin investing. I really cannot believe that they're going given that they are so successful, popular and there is no obvious substitute. Companies die when they are competed to death; I find it peculiar that these Boards are going. Very, very sad.

Short-sighted because the comment said that it was only the Boards which are closing, thereby a view that TMF becomes more profitable or viable without them. As numerous others on this thread have said, I will have no reason to TMF in future - the articles are extremely weak and are of no use to even a moderately experienced investor whilst at the same time being dangerous to a newbie given they're at such a high level but suggest investing in various companies (and usually the author has no position in those companies). Therefore without the Boards, its very likely that the number of visitors to the site will crater thereby impacting the other revenue streams which TMF relies on, and therefore it gets into a downward spiral. This will be the beginning of the end of TMF, and now its just a matter of time before it shuts completely. I find it incredible that anyone can think TMF is remotely viable after the Boards have closed.

In terms of what now, personally I also use advfn though the average quality of posts over there is much lower. The benefit it does have though is that there is a board for pretty much every company and secondly its possible to make short posts there without being chastised the way you are on TMF (the only downside of the TMF Boards are that, unless you post a thesis, some regulars aren't welcoming of your comments). I guess I'll also look at Stockopedia now as a second source and have a look around for others. The fact that there are so few (or no) alternatives of a similar standard make this even more perplexing

A very sad day and very curious decision.

Bye all (sob)

Adam
Just like many posters, I am very sorry to hear this news, and am extremely grateful that TMF has made this terrific resource available over the years. It must be almost 20 years since I first became aware of their launch when a group of them gave away pens to commuters crossing London Bridge.

Without these boards, I would never have adopted the HYP concept, which has become the cornerstone of my pension investment approach, and which has enabled me to spend more time enjoying my retirement and less time fretting about what to do next.

I have also benefitted from the generous observations of those far more experienced than I am in matters such as legal issues and pension regulations.

But, when all is said and done, harnessing all of this information has been enabled by a commercial organisation at no cost to me. I have rarely visited any other parts of their website, and suspect there are many fellow 'members' who fit a similar description.

Thank you, TMF and the merry band of prolific posters who have expended so much time and effort in providing a road map around investment decisions, pension regulations, legal issues, etc. I am truly grateful.

DW99
What a shame. I'm almost teary. The Fool changed my financial life forever and I am thoroughly in debt to them. I've had fantastic advice, education and entertainment from these Boards over the years and it's such an end of an era. I'd like to say thanks to everyone involved for making it one of the most civilised places on the web.

Obvious question from a non-techie is "Why?". What would be wrong with keeping the boards on old-fashioned software with links to the commercial stuff? Maybe supporting the old stuff will cost too much for little financial benefit & there is the time the staff spend working as mods. It would be nice to have some detail/numbers to explain the decision.
So what are you replacing it with? The great thing about technology is it gets replaced with better technology, most of the time... I hope that's the case here???
So what are you replacing it with? The great thing about technology is it gets replaced with better technology, most of the time... I hope that's the case here???

"They're" not, but 2 of the members here (stooz and Clariman) have set up http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/index.php where most of us have migrated to.
"They're" not, but 2 of the members here (stooz and Clariman) have set up http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/index.php where most of us have migrated to.

I have an account there as well but without a list of favourite boards, unread counts and going to the last read post in a thread, I'll find it unusable and will desert elsewhere.

All of these have been requested by others but Lemonfool isn't yet fit for purpose from my POV. I wouldn't expect it to be yet so that isn't a criticism of the current state of development.
No. of Recommendations: 73
I have an account there as well but without a list of favourite boards, unread counts and going to the last read post in a thread, I'll find it unusable and will desert elsewhere.

All of these have been requested by others but Lemonfool isn't yet fit for purpose from my POV. I wouldn't expect it to be yet so that isn't a criticism of the current state of development.

Everyone is free to choose what they wish to do. We put lemonfool.co.uk together and made it available to Fools within 24 hours of TMF making its announcement to close the boards. The website, the name, the idea of it never even existed until Thursday afternoon. If you find somewhere more suited to your needs, that's great. If not, then give us time. We will get there in time.
No. of Recommendations: 66
Hi All,

As the last moderator to join the Fool Community in 2008, it has been an adventure :)

I’ve caused chaos over on the Football Fools board, sheared threads rather than prune them, made mistakes, ‘some’ you’ve forgiven me for :P I’ve laid awake at night wondering whether I was right to remove a post, been told that I’m going to be hunted down by my IP address for removing a post, the list goes on.

This community has touched everyone's hearts. I've loved how someone has always been there no matter what time of day it is to help someone in need. It's not been just an investment forum, it's been a source of friendship, comfort, and a safe-haven for many, and I’m so glad to have been a part of it for the past 8 years.

For those of you that have any of our subscription services, I’ll still be here in customer services ready to help.

Cheers to TMF Community

Kind regards

Michelle

TMFSash
Fool UK Community
Hi Michelle,

You've removed the odd post of mine - but that's moderating. Are you going to join us at Lemon Fool? I am sure you will be most welcome if you haven't already joined.

GN

For those of you that have any of our subscription services, I’ll still be here in customer services ready to help.

Michelle

This is the thing which I don't get about closing the Boards. Without the boards, TMF is nothing. Seriously. Thinking that TMF will exist long-term after this is, in my view, naive. I can't see what other content exists on TMF which would make anyone visit the site. The rest is worthless....and any community-type website can only succeed with a large number of members, and closing the boards will hugely impact that for TMF.

On a couple other sites, I also pay for the subscription element on top of the free parts, however I only took up the pay parts once I'd used the free parts for a while - those free parts could be seen as giving the site credibility. So you need the decent free parts to be a loss-leader for the paid bits.

To me, closing the boards is effectively the beginning of the end for TMF as I can only see the number of visitors to TMF plummeting, which impacts other revenue which you get. If the current business model isn't profitable then I understand the need to change but I cant see that this is the right one. I would have thought other options would be more successful - for example, if you introduced a £1 per month fee for using the currently-free boards I would expect most users would sign up to pay £12 p.a. which generates you £120k p.a. for 10,000 members which surely will give you enough to keep the boards alive wouldn't it? How much can it cost to moderate and maintain a few boards?
Thanks

Adam

I wonder where you would go to get the same sense of community? Serious question!

I don't like change either, but I've already adapted my way of working and feel comfortable with LemonFool despite the differences. And I have little doubt that things will improve. Remember, it's just a standard piece of software that's only been up and running for 48 hours. A phenomenal start.

--kiloran
I would have thought other options would be more successful - for example, if you introduced a £1 per month fee for using the currently-free boards I would expect most users would sign up to pay £12 p.a. which generates you £120k p.a. for 10,000 members

Has anyone got a reliable number for signed-up board members? I wonder how many post once a week/once a month? Obviously the number of regular visitors is highly relevant as well. Logically, TMF (UK) Ltd have a pretty good handle on the number of visitors & how often they pop by.
Hi GN,

Are you going to join us at Lemon Fool?

I'll certainly stop by :)

Kind regards,

Michelle

TMFSash
Fool UK Community
I wonder where you would go to get the same sense of community?

Exactly. The technicalities can be worked out over time. But the community is the thing. I think rgifford is being very short-sighted here. But my kids are the same - they want everything on a plate, instantly.
No. of Recommendations: 19
I have an account there as well [LemonFool] but without a list of favourite boards, unread counts and going to the last read post in a thread, I'll find it unusable and will desert elsewhere.

I think it's been fairly widely recognised that one of the areas that the TMF boards did do well was to help people keep informed in a very simple way as to when there were new posts and threads in their 'Favourite' areas of the boards, so they could simply and quickly get into those new posts and threads and keep up to date with any community developments.

I think it's also been fairly widely recognised that currently, LemonFool has been a bit of a steep learning curve for people who are used to having the above 'simple' methods of browsing the community posts, and don't seem to have such simple facilities over on the LemonFool site.

I've certainly had similar issues, but have spent some time this morning trying to come up with something that may, if it helps others, lend itself to turn into some sort of 'Sticky' post over on the LemonFool website, if people see it as helping out with the above. Here's the post I've just made over there trying to suggest what I see as a good current method to keep up with un-read posts on the various board-areas and threads -

http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9&p=...

Carrying out the above process does seem a fairly simple method to quickly get into un-read threads at exactly the right point in those threads to let me quickly see the first un-read post on them.

Could I ask you to take a look at the above post and see if it helps you at all with your own frustrations?

I'd be very interested in feed-back, either here and/or over there, to see if the post could be improved in any way (I've asked the same in the above LemonFool thread), and if it does help, and once things settle down with any suggestions for improvements, then I'll get in touch with Stooz and see if we can come up with some sort of prominent 'Sticky' post for the process, to hopefully help with what I'm sure is an issue for the majority of new LemonFool members over there.

I'd urge people not to give up too easily on the LemonFool site. Stooz and Clariman have spent a huge amount of personal effort over the past few days, along with many of the other migrated TMF members, trying to get the site set up and helping people become accustomed to the new place.

I can't quite believe it's already set-up in such a glorious way to be honest, with many of our favourite board-areas already designated areas over there for us to 'fall into' and get cracking again, so please do give people a little time to get things going, and allow people to help out where niggles do still currently exist.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
As the last moderator to join the Fool Community in 2008, it has been an adventure :)

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for all the moderation assistance you've carried out over the years. We all know it's a tough gig done under difficult circumstances, but we also know that you guys were doing your best at all times, and none of us who were helping to cause the chaos in the first place would have done much better, so well done for taking the task on at the very least.

That said, given that you're also the last moderator to enter this thread, with others having decided not to reply to the many questions still remaining on this thread, can I please ask if there's an appetite to do that at all?

I think there's lots of valid questions still being asked here, with no reply from TMF Towers at all, and it would be nice if at least some of them were to be addressed.

Specifically with regards to one that I've asked earlier in the thread, I mentioned that currently any board-posters who may not have accessed the site for a while may simply not even be aware of the imminent closure of the boards, and given that you guys have the email addresses of all active board-members, it seems a little re-miss of you guys not to have sent out a wider email circulation specifically setting out the intended closure of the boards, along with the really quite short timescale involved.

Is that likely to be addressed in time to be useful Michelle?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
No. of Recommendations: 41
Thank you everyone for your comments and questions in the last couple of days, both on this board and numerous others across the site.

There are too many to respond to individually, but Jon and I have made a list of the main questions being asked, and we hope to post some answers to those early next week.

On a personal note, I would also like to add my thanks to everyone involved with the community team here at Fool UK, both past and present. Having witnessed close up the wide-ranging situations they have had to deal with, and how they dealt with them, I have nothing but the utmost admiration.

And a special thank you also to clariman and stooz for setting up lemonfool at such short notice. It looks very promising and I've registered as well. It will be nice to post a message as a non-TMFer for once :-)

Kind regards,

Stuart
And a special thank you also to clariman and stooz for setting up lemonfool at such short notice.

On that specific point Stuart, could there be a method found to make a link to LemonFool visible on the 'remaining' TMF website, for use in future for anyone coming to the TMF site specifically looking for the community boards?

As a final gesture towards keeping the great community spirit together and 'still recognised', it would be a fantastic one in my opinion.

It would be such a shame for people to come to the TMF site to look for people or information, and not be able to get to where the community has moved to in such large numbers over the past couple of days.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
It would be such a shame for people to come to the TMF site to look for people or information, and not be able to get to where the community has moved to in such large numbers over the past couple of days.

And with 799 users registered just now, someone can grab being number 800 (or should I post that on LOOTP - a board I never understood)
On that specific point Stuart, could there be a method found to make a link to LemonFool visible on the 'remaining' TMF website, for use in future for anyone coming to the TMF site specifically looking for the community boards?

That's one of the questions we had noted. In a word, yes.
I am getting used to the "new" site and found the quick links feature a good start. Subscribe to a forum seems another good way.
Clicking on the red table to the left of the board takes you to the last "read" entry. Wish I could tailor the boards to only show the ones I am interested in but then again have an open mind to "new" software as in a "previous" life was a Change Management Consultant and spent years asking people "why can you not do it this way rather than that way", most the time it was they felt comfortable with what they knew and was used to. Surprising how a lot of those people changed their opinion after a few months of using the new software.

BTW am registered over there as Raptor. Took the opportunity to change........... :-)

Raptor.
I am getting used to the "new" site and found the quick links feature a good start.

Subscribe to a forum seems another good way.

Clicking on the red table to the left of the board takes you to the last "read" entry.

I started to use those features myself when I first joined the new site, but have found a really good method to keep up to date with the latest threads on all the new boards, explained here -

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

That's one of the questions we had noted. In a word, yes.

Many thanks for that confirmation Stuart.

It's great that you're still listening to the board-community, but even better than that, I think it's great that you're now letting us know that you're still listening....

It quickly went very 'quiet' in terms of TMF input into the valid thoughts and concerns from the existing TMF board-community, and it's great to now see that you are taking these thing on board and willing to respond in such a positive way.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
"It's great that you're still listening to the board-community, but even better than that, I think it's great that you're now letting us know that you're still listening...."

Seconded. The silence has been deafening.
No. of Recommendations: 10
Carrying out the above process does seem a fairly simple method to quickly get into un-read threads at exactly the right point in those threads to let me quickly see the first un-read post on them.

I should now add, for those that may not have seen the sticky post over on LemonFools explaining it, that I've created a screen-shot picture here showing the much-improved post-navigation method for LemonFool that I'm currently using -

http://i.imgur.com/mhEbsaL.png

The above screenshot may come in fairly small when loaded into a browser, but I think there's a zoom facility in most browsers if you left-click the image, or you can of course use the normal zoom features of the browser that you're using.

It's helped me a lot, and is quickly becoming a much more natural way to use the new site.

I hope others find it useful if you've not seen it already.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
I wonder where you would go to get the same sense of community? Serious question!

I don't expect that there is any other single site. The Fool community has built up over time and there are many posters on here that I have 'known' for quite a while now.

I started by being interested in how to invest and have moved on from that to it being of general interest. I still have some of the investing boards bookmarked, and am currently wondering whether ITs would be a sensible option for me to consider, but overall I now have something that I'm comfortable with. It is the non-financial boards which are of most interest these days as I often pick up information/knowledge that has proved useful.

I will certainly not get the random bits of legal knowledge for example but I would only come across those on a site with a very wide spread. BOB has certainly alerted me to all sorts of interesting stuff that I hadn't even considered.

Remember, it's just a standard piece of software that's only been up and running for 48 hours. A phenomenal start.

I do remember and said that in my post, or at least intended it to be read that way.
The technicalities can be worked out over time. But the community is the thing. I think rgifford is being very short-sighted here

I think that there is a very short window of opportunity to migrate the Fool community. If the new site isn't 'comfortable' very quickly, people will look/try/leave and the opportunity will be lost. Regular posters may be more persistent, regular lurkers may not.

I have used this same software on other sites and it works quite well where there are a small number of new topics. We will have to see if it can be configured to handle a lot of topics/posts, most of which I'm not interested in and don't want to have to spend time ignoring.
I would like to add my thanks and best wishes to the moderators for all their hard work over the years. As a contributor to LoST I'm sure I must have added to your workload!

I didn't always agree with the broad direction of travel of the moderation policy or TMF in general... but hey ho, we all have our own opinions. What must be acknowledged, though, is that you always acted with fairness, consistency and courtesy. For this I thank you.

All the best with wherever TMF UK goes next. Fool on.

TW.
I'd urge people not to give up too easily on the LemonFool site. Stooz and Clariman have spent a huge amount of personal effort over the past few days, along with many of the other migrated TMF members, trying to get the site set up and helping people become accustomed to the new place.

Thanks for your post/description.

Being able to change the read/unread icon so that it is more 'in your face' would help a lot. The 'taking you to the last read point in a thread' and 'regarding something as read' logic are unfamiliar and don't appear to have any clear logic but that will no doubt clear over time. Once I understand the rule they will no doubt appear sensible.

One of the features that I like on TMF is the ability to read in posted date sequence rather than threaded. Many threads on TMF veer off into unrelated issues and it is these issues which are of interest/value. I would miss those where I have to select to read each thread in turn. Much of the value of using TMF has been from reading posts that I hadn't set out to read.

Moderation is another issue which has been touched on. One of the things which has kept TMF civil and on topic is the removal of posts which aren't. I gather from comments posted here that other sites (ADVFN has been mentioned I think) which are a battleground and therefore of little value/interest to me.

Favourite boards (or ignored boards) are vital for me as I have 27 favourite boards on TMF and can quickly see whether there are any new posts in any of them. Some, such as the Mechanical Investing and Sharescope ones, haven't had a post for a very long time. On the LemonFool menu, 17 of the boards currently available aren't on my list. I assume that number will grow and I'll quickly get bored with scrolling through and having to decide about each one whether it is on the interested or the ignore list.

Early days of course
Yes, it is early days, and from correspondence with them, I know they're trying to tailor it as required. Remember, with the abrupt notice of closure from TMF, it needed a quick reaction, a place for us all to gather before we lose the inter-personal email communications and publiuc communications via TMF. For that reason, I see lemonfool.co.uk as a placemarker - if it turns into a useful working TMF replacement, great. If not, at least we know how to communicate with over 800 people, who we'd lose contact with otherewise.

Remember also, those 'early days yet' are actually three days or so - the fact the site is as good as it is so quickly, is a testament to the founders' hard and urgent work. They need to scoop up as many people as possible, before users just delete TMF from bookmarks and wander off alone. I personally expect that it will be a few weeks yet before the site settles down and people get used to it, and can decide whether its finally for them.
No. of Recommendations: 17
Hi All

Having been on the Fool since 1999 it certainly seems like the end of an era for me. What a fantastic place this has been. The Foolish community has seen me through both the highs and lows with advice, support and good humour as I learned a little about investing right up to imminent retirement which by coincidence is later this month :-)
I have also met a number of Fools personally at social and investing events and I am still part of an investment club started through contact with other Fools when I was living and working near Leeds.
Like many I have registered with Lemon Fool. It is the people that make up the Foolish community not the platform so I would hope that it becomes a worthy replacement.

Finally a big thank you to all who have worked at the Fool and everyone who has contributed over the years - it has been much appreciated.

Best wishes to all.

Regards
Iron
Favourite boards (or ignored boards) are vital for me as I have 27 favourite boards on TMF and can quickly see whether there are any new posts in any of them

The way some of you seem to have used the site is novel to me. My fault for not paying attention :}

I save my three key Boards in Favourites on my PC - yes, I am using stick-in-the-mud IE - not the latest page but the penultimate, and I check in there a couple of times during the day.
Then, I go to the main Boards page and choose the few others that interest me and take a quick look.
Then BoB.
That's it.

Using a big screen, and with a high reading speed, it's no hardship to whizz through stuff I've already read. I can imagine on a phone it would be different.

What I miss at Lemonfool is the Reccs as a signpost, and BoB as a guide to the otherwise unknown.
Give it time.
But as a home from home it's brilliant.

Funny, isn't it. We grumble about ye olde software here, and the moderation, then when it dies we miss it.

Never know what you've got till it's gone.

V8

http://lemonfool.co.uk/
I know there's been a lot of hot air, harsh words, intolerance, prejudice, incomprehensible stupidity on these boards, but for all that it's been a great place to engage with people, get help and advice, sound off, get one's views questioned etc and I will miss it massively.

Very honest, humble and magnanimous of you to admit to this.
All the best and, given their recent results, will you have time to post a "how many goals will Chelsea score this season" poll?
Hugely disappointed but not altogether surprised as TMF seems to have been haemorrhaging cash since I first joined 13 years ago. In that time i've got myself out of debt, got a trade and latterly a proper education, learned a huge amount about how the world works, and begun to become a moderately successful investor - all thanks to these boards.

I feel these boards have been a missed opportunity for the management over the last 20 years - these is (was) a large user base of intelligent individuals with, in many cases, quite significant disposable incomes and yet they've never once managed to come up with a way to make a profit from them. I wonder what the future holds for the fool as since the introduction of lovemoney the articles of recent years have become vapid clickbait with virtually no insight other than promoting the fool newsletters, so I really can't see any reason for me to visit here again.
I started to use those features myself when I first joined the new site, but have found a really good method to keep up to date with the latest threads on all the new boards, explained here -

And for those who don't fancy the idea of reading all the unread posts on all the boards and want to be more selective, let me offer:

http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=79#p1155...

It's a bit clunky, but it's working for me so far.

Gengulphus
TMFTigger: And a special thank you also to clariman and stooz for setting up lemonfool at such short notice. It looks very promising and I've registered as well. It will be nice to post a message as a non-TMFer for once :-)

And this mirrors my own experience, as a regular member who got invited to be an unpaid mod on another forum. IME to get unpaid mods to agree to that role, and for it to work well, they need a distinct and separate ID. So in your case Tigger stays as Tigger, and you do your mod-work not under Tigger but 'Moderator' that's shared by all mods. I can see no virtue, in fact the opposite, in having nameable mods.
Moderation is another issue which has been touched on. One of the things which has kept TMF civil and on topic is the removal of posts which aren't.

On the other hand, one of the weaknesses of TMF is that unless posts are several paragraphs long, comments on investment ideas are often rebuked as not being sufficiently thought through. It can be a very puritanical place, which is what stopped me posting here - I simply dont have the time to spend 30 mins composing a post in order that its not picked apart and derided for not including every last detail about the company. Granted, advfn goes far to far in the other direction. If Lemonfool can find a happy middle ground, and with abusive posters banned, I believe it could be better place than both TMF and advfn. Early days of course
No. of Recommendations: 184
Like many others I was stunned by the news. For once I had no idea what to say, so I went out for a walk this afternoon, as I’ve often found that it helps when I’m worrying about something. Maybe the exercise gets the blood circulating a bit more efficiently round the little grey cells.

But on this occasion it didn’t work. I enjoyed it well enough, but felt the same about the closure of TMF when I got back as when I’d left. I think the most accurate word is bereaved.

Unfortunately though, it didn’t come as a complete surprise. Over two years ago the dire financial situation that TMF UK was in had been discussed, and it had been envisaged then that this could well result in the closure of the boards - http://boards.fool.co.uk/im-willing-to-bet-now-that-a-post-w... In some ways the surprise is that they lasted this long.

But there’s a hell of a difference between knowing theoretically that something might happen and it actually happening. It’s human nature to assume that things and people that we love will always be there, because we don’t want to imagine life without them. And the fact that their disappearance may have been predictable doesn’t lessen the sense of shock and loss when they go.

I used the word `love’, which may seem silly for something as amorphous as a website, but having tried to analyse my feelings I don’t think it’s too strong a word. Of course it’s not the website itself that invokes such feelings; it’s the people who inhabit it and the long – 18 years in my case – history of my relationship with them. Having followed and shared their stories, their ups and their downs and having been able to both provide and receive help and support through some hard times I do feel as if I know some Fools better than people I know in real life.

This may seem strange, but I don’t think it’s anything new. In days gone by people developed very close relationships in correspondence - `84 Charing Cross Road’ being a classic example – and over the years I’ve developed very close relationships with some clients, even though I’ve never actually met them in person.

I also think I saw TMF as a second home, almost in the way a local pub is (or more frequently these days used to be) a second home. I used to call in after a hard day’s work and see many of the regulars, and it invariably cheered me up and helped put things in perspective.

This was the genius behind Beerpig’s Snug – it often did feel like a real pub, even down to the entirely pointless but entertaining arguments between people who never had any hope of changing each other’s mind.

In many ways the whole site was like a very large local pub, the Snug being just one of the bars there. I knew if I wandered off to one of the other bars that I’d almost certainly see other Fools that I recognised, and that I could easily drop into conversation with them or simply enjoy listening to somebody who knew what they were talking about, and it was that comfortable familiarity that helped make TMF so special.

But for me at least the quality that really defined TMF was its humanity. I visit many websites and forums, including investment sites like advfn and interactive investor, and various newspaper discussion forums, but in most cases I leave fairly rapidly simply because they seem to be infested by deeply unpleasant people. They’re not trolls as such – in a way they’re worse than trolls, as I think they actually believe what they’re saying, and that they're not just posting to create reaction.

I visit Facebook maybe once a week, as having rashly signed up a few years ago I keep getting emails to tell me that someone I’d almost forgotten about has posted a new picture, so if I’m bored I’ll go and have a look. But although I’ve no doubt there are plenty of normal and intelligent users it seems to be mainly populated by illiterate people posting banal rubbish. It’s also far too public for my liking.

Twitter again seems to be dominated by egotistical narcissists, and in any event my great words of wisdom can no way be distilled into a mere 140 characters!

But somehow, miraculously, TMF has managed to avoid this fate, and I can only assume that it’s largely down to the moderators. It’s a thankless task, and I’ve been annoyed myself from time to time when a post that took a lot of time and effort has been pulled, but it’s at a time like this that I’ve realised just what a good job they did. In fact they were quite heroic really, defending a citadel of civilisation from the barbarian invaders!

Of course there will always be posters who are irritating and with whom we violently disagree – I’ve not the slightest doubt that some of my pronouncements have raised blood pressure occasionally. But the big difference is that TMF has very rarely sunk into the depressing slanging matches that exist on other sites.

On the contrary, TMF often represents the very best in people. I genuinely don’t know of any other site where there is such consistent kindliness and genuine selflessness combined with good humour and that old-fashioned word fellowship.

I’ve hugely enjoyed giving advice over the years, but it’s provided me with a lot of benefits as well. For a start it’s helped to keep my legal knowledge up to date, as although I may know the basics I’ve often had to research the up to date position, and I’ve also actually learned a lot about legal areas I knew little about.

I’ve also received some excellent advice myself, particularly from the various computer gurus, and like many others I’ve benefited financially from the wisdom of many of the Financial Fools.

But TMF is far more than the sum of its parts. It’s been a refuge and a haven from a world that appears to be increasingly chaotic and unpredictable. In an age of constant and unremittingly depressing news it’s actually very good for the spirit to visit TMF and be reminded that most people are in fact kind and decent human beings.

In fact, the TMF feeling is dangerously close to that rather nauseating word that is currently on trend, `hygge’- perhaps that should have been the name for the new site! ;-)

So losing TMF does feel like a bereavement. Or less dramatically, perhaps it’s a bit similar to the way someone feels who’s forced to retire from a job that they’ve loved doing for 20 years. They’re supposed to be happy at not having to go to work each morning, but it gave their life a meaning and a structure that now has to be replaced with something else, and that may not be at all easy.

It's quite clear that I'm not the only one to feel this leaden sense of loss. In fact I've been very moved by the - grief isn't too strong a word - that others have expressed in this and other threads, and I wonder if TMF ever realised just what a close community they were harbouring.

I have to say that I was quite surprised that it’s apparently not possible for the boards to have continued in any way at all. It’s also very sad to think that the years of effort and collected wisdom and humour that have been posted over the past 18 years will simply disappear. I often enjoyed going back to read posts written years ago, and the loss of all that is another form of bereavement.

I did contact TMF to say that there were probably quite a few of us who would be willing to chip in quite a significant sum to keep it all going, but so far I’ve had no response. Having said that, I’m the first to admit that I know absolutely nothing about the technical or financial resources needed to keep it going, and it may be far beyond what they could ever hope to raise from us.

I would therefore join in with other posters in thanking TMF for keeping the boards going for so long, and for making us all feel so much at home there.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I’m really delighted that clariman and stooz have set up the new site, and many, many thanks to them. I shall soon be wrapping up my Foolish memories in the proverbial red and white spotted handkerchief, hitching them on a stick over my shoulder and setting off for the sign of the Lemon, where I’m very much looking forward to meeting old friends and new.

Farewell TMF, and thank you for educating, amusing and enriching me for 18 very enjoyable years.
Hi Spider (and the whole "crew")

Very sorry to read about the closure, its been mooted before but not carried out, this time seems different.
Its been a great journey from that early LOOTP that spawned the Motor cycling Fools (were weren't allowed to call it "Bikers Board") with its rideouts and the many TMF Socials in London and Country.

Without TMF, I would not have met diane5 and 2 fantastic boys (now 8 and nearly 10!) would not exist. Fate and our path through this universe is a strange thing, who could have foreseen what TMF would create as unintended consequences?1 Certainly the fun we'd had has been educational and inspiring and I'd like to thank you all for the past 17 years.

I've signed up to LemonFool and hope that much of our mutual support and friendship can continue over there, but they really need a "rec" button ! :-)

"So long and tanks for all the fish"!
Cheers
Chris

http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9&p=......

And for those who don't fancy the idea of reading all the unread posts on all the boards and want to be more selective, let me offer:

http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=79#p1155......

It's a bit clunky, but it's working for me so far.

The post I'm replying to, quoted above, contains two links to lemonfool.

The first shows "f=21&t=9&p=967#p967", the second "f=21&t=79#1155".

I'm guessing that "f=21" shows the number of the Forum, and "t=9", "t=79" refer to the thread. I'm also guessing that both these numbers are absolute, i.e. "t=79" is the 79th thread in Lemonfool, not the 79th thread in the 21st Forum (Biscuit Bar).

I also think that "p=967" and "p=1155" are also the absolute numbers of the individual posts. This is similar to the "mid=13458070" in the URL of the post I'm replying to here.

Can someone suggest why the link from itsallaguess has "p=967#p967" whereas the link from Gengulphus just has "#1155"?

TMF records the number of the last read post in any individual thread (High Water Mark). This gets updated when a post is accessed (I'm sure I'm not the only one who starts to read a long post only to give up and come back to it later!) and also gets updated if one follows a link from another board to a post later than the one that was previously last read. This had the unfortunate consequence of making it difficult to go back to the 'real' last post read, possibly missing out a number of unread posts (often a problem after being away for a few days without accessing TMF!).

If I click on one of the above links, does anyone know how this affects the 'last read post' stored in the Lemonfool database? I ask now because I haven't started reading the posts in the Biscuit Bar, and don't want to end up at the end of the thread with all preceding posts marked as read.

Adrian
That is a beautiful post...and typical of the very best that TMF has offered over the years, from a position of total ignorance I cannot understand their inability to create a viable business around the success of these Boards. Instead they went down the Tip Sheet route ...unbelievable and destined to fail.
I am not an expert on the economics of hosting discussion boards. However, I assume that the only way that the company which hosts lemonfool.co.uk can afford to provide the server capacity to host the huge number of posts that are likely to be made, without charging posters for the privilege, is from advertising. If that is the case, and if it is a viable business model for that company, why can't the Motley Fool do the same and thereby allow its fantastic discussion boards to continue?

Personally the only reason I ever visit the Motley Fool UK website is to look at the discussion boards. Once the boards have gone, I doubt whether I will ever visit the website again. I suspect there are many others like me. Therefore I suspect that, by closing the discussion boards, Motley Fool UK is sealing its own fate as a viable business.
No. of Recommendations: 51
I am not an expert on the economics of hosting discussion boards. However, I assume that the only way that the company which hosts lemonfool.co.uk can afford to provide the server capacity to host the huge number of posts that are likely to be made, without charging posters for the privilege, is from advertising. If that is the case, and if it is a viable business model for that company, why can't the Motley Fool do the same and thereby allow its fantastic discussion boards to continue?

We (Stooz and I) - the creators of lemonfool.co.uk aren't a "company". We are 2 ordinary blokes and long-time Fool users who simply wanted to give everyone a home. TMF will have challenges that we won't e.g. TMF has to pay staff, has to maintain its own discussion board software and probably its own servers. Lemonfool, in its infancy, has no staff to pay, uses free discussion board software and is hosted in the cloud at low cost. Costs may increase, staff may be required - but we'll see what happens on the journey.
I for one, and no doubt hundreds of other Fools, are very grateful for what you guys have done for us.

My heartfelt thanks to you both.

Ian.
Hi Clariman, you wrote:

"We (Stooz and I) - the creators of lemonfool.co.uk aren't a "company". We are 2 ordinary blokes and long-time Fool users who simply wanted to give everyone a home. TMF will have challenges that we won't e.g. TMF has to pay staff, has to maintain its own discussion board software and probably its own servers. Lemonfool, in its infancy, has no staff to pay, uses free discussion board software and is hosted in the cloud at low cost. Costs may increase, staff may be required - but we'll see what happens on the journey."

I'm very grateful that you and Stooz have done that. I wasn't implying that you are a 'company' - I meant the companies in the cloud that host Lemonfool at low cost and provide the free discussion board software. I guess they are mainly funded by advertising; if so, I wonder why Motley Fool UK can't fund themselves in a similar way.
A most strange turn of events. Others seem to see this sis no surprise, but as far as I can see there is no reason to come to the Fool other than the discussion boards, and only as a result of being on the home page to get to the discussion groups do I ever even notice the hugely diminished and somewhat useless articles.

Maintaining a forum must be almost free these days, aside from a few servers, which can all be cloud based these days. Moderation is nice, but not essential, so no cost there.

What will now be the point of the Fool in the U.K.?

Farewell to all the people who are the real, and I suspect only reason anybody ever comes to the Fool anymore, the posters on the forums.

Tony
The short notice closure and somewhat spurious reasons led me to research 'word on the streets.'

I suspect either TMF UK is going to be sold or the entire group sold. The level of activity in the reports and accounts for 2015 indicates a fair amount of creative accounting. No buyer in right mind would accept responsibility for an unprofitable service, particularly one where the company's own products can be subject to scrutiny by users on the discussion boards only to be found wanting. As others have said, the quality of investment advice dispensed by TMF's "teenage scribblers" (to quote Nigel Lawson, former CoE) is feeble, or more politely, come under the heading of 'amuse'. I remember reading a TMF prediction that LLOY sp would be over £1 in early 2016.

For newbies, it only needs registration for free entry to the discussion boards to find out what Fools really think of the sort of advice TMF peddles Without the discussion boards/forums to strike back, TMF can have the field to itself.

---

Comments from others have reminded that I have not thanked the TMF's staff moderators for the help and advice over the years. Having had my account suspended on more than one occasion and having had to plead clemency before being allowed to resume, it has been for them a steep learning experience to realise that a breach of positing guidelines could not be communicated to me because none of the warning emails had been received. The number of my own posts that I have reported because of some mistake has always been dealt with efficiently. Rarely have I reported others posts, preferring to delegate to others the experience of the donkey work.

Wishing you all the best (and good luck with TUPE). Remember: the London definition of failure is age 35 and standing at a bus stop.
No. of Recommendations: 61
Hi everyone

Rather than answer questions piecemeal, as replies to individual posts, we've gone through this thread (and others) and collated what we think are the main questions into a 'Q&A':

Can you maintain a list of links to new forums that start up to replace the Boards?

Yes, we're happy to do that.

And we're also happy to give pointers on moderation and related issues, if that would help.

(We realise that any 'successor forum' will have its own distinct character, and those involved may well not wish to run it like the TMF Boards were run. And there are doubtless Fools out there with experience of running forums. But if we can be of any help, the offer is there.)

Would it be possible to export Board content to another system? Or licence it for 3rd party use?

Yes, either of those may be possible, but there is a very large amount of data and it's in a relatively 'raw' format, so it may be difficult to import it gracefully into another system. However, we could potentially pursue this option if a viable solution can be found.

Can't you just open some UK Boards on the US site?

We did investigate this option prior to the announcement, but it is surprisingly complex from a legal standpoint, so we can't take this route.

Could closure be delayed?

We do appreciate that two weeks is not much time, although the response from the community to find alternative venues already seems to have built up a considerable head of steam, which is great to see.

But the Boards closure is part of a much wider piece of work on the UK site’s infrastructure, so it is highly unlikely we will be able to delay it.

Will the ability to send private messages be lost after 17th November?

Yes. Once the UK Boards are closed to new messages and become read only on 17th November, it won't be possible to log in to them, so it won't be possible to reply to a message and use the "E-Mail this Reply to the Author" facility.

What will happen to the moderators?

Moderation was only a part of each moderator's overall job, so no-one is being made redundant.

Foolish best wishes

Jon
TMFTarantula
Thank you for expressing this so well, ClitheroeKid.

I told my son, Tortoise Junior, the boards were closing and he said ‘What???’. He could not believe it, and he does not even post here. But he knows how valuable and excellent this community is. One or two people have said their friends, probably older people, did not ‘get it’. A 21, TJ has grown up with the internet and his real and online existence are all one seamless way of living. A young person who lives in this modern connected way certainly 'gets it'. He is amazed that a community grown so real and strong over so many years is simply to be axed.

I must say I am puzzled too, when I think that a following like this is something that bloggers and journalists would love to achieve. When they get a fraction of this quality of interest and feedback they start to make fortunes out of it. Mr Money Mustache, for example, or Martin Lewis. But the Fool has been better than any one persons’s blog because its hasnt , for example, moved on from its unique focus, as successful individuals perforce do, or been a platform for one persons political view. I really don’t know why TMF could not make money out of us, in some painless way like other sites do.

As well as the quality of discussion, it was the breadth of topic that made it so special. It meant that all of us could both contribute and draw from it at different times. That’s what gave it the spirit of real friendship. When I have helped someone out with information or advice I have felt I was contributing to something genuinely useful. The financial boards are what I orginally joined for, of course. They have been invaluable in growing my personal wealth. But sometimes there are things more important that overwhelm us, such as bereavement and illness. Then in such dark days I have found immense kindness here from Foolish friends.

I do hope Lemon Fool will prosper. I shall certainly do what I can for it. I don’t like the name very much, but if a site can be called CamelCamelCamel and survive I suppose there is no reason why Lemon Fool should not. I definitely dont like the picure at the top. Which on earth of us is that supposed to represent? I think Stooz and Clariman being very clever with their funding plans; they are going to ask us for money to remove it :-)

T
No. of Recommendations: 40
Moderation is nice, but not essential, so no cost there.

I disagree. Moderation is core to the success of the Fool boards. It has avoided the poor signal/noise ration on other sites and has nipped arguments (rather than discussions) in the bud. Spam/trolling is deleted quickly, and so on.
Again like others have said it feels like a death in the family, 16 years.... Mostly a lurker but my stats are below

Board Posts 308
Recs Received 372
People who have rec'd these posts 275

Does that mean, Only 17% of people rec me again... Is this a metaphor for life?

Paul
CK's sincere 'bereavement' post brought a tear to my eye.

I joined TMF in 1999 and have been actively posting* for around 15 years. Like other people have said, I have learn't a lot and had great help both on and off the boards from fellow fools. Far too many to list and some long gone now, but it has been a real COMMUNITY and it is regretful it has to end.

Of course I understand why it has to go but it will still be a very sad day. All the best to Fools on here and all the TMF staff/mods who don't have the easiest job (don't mention Suarez/Evra).

Hopefully we'll see each other around on Lemon Fools but once again, a big thank you to everyone on here for what has been an enjoyable part of my life.

CB

* Some CheatinAmmers/DirtyLeeds fans may offer alternative words for my 'contributions'.
"Board Posts 308
Recs Received 372
People who have rec'd these posts 275

Does that mean, Only 17% of people rec me again..."

I think the percentage should be 35%. I've now changed your stats. :-)

PD
I have learn't a lot

Clearly some learning remains outstanding
Jon

we've gone through this thread (and others) and collated what we think are the main questions into a 'Q&A':

There's two recurring questions which aren't answered in your post, though perhaps its because you can't say certain things due to a NDA or similar. These are along the lines of:

1) How do TMF UK think a viable business remains when a large number of people on this thread have said that the boards are the only reason they come to this site? Is it possible to share at a high level what the strategy is for TMF UK going forwards? Presumably there must be some other plan to bring traffic to the site to replace those of us who will stop?

2) Is there any way of quantifying the costs of maintaining these boards and explaining why they are uneconomical? Its easy to find on tinternet discussion boards/forums for all manner of topics as part of site on whatever the subject matter is and where the number of users is much much lower than here. I struggle to understand therefore why its also not viable for a site which such a large following as TMF to be viable, even if the Boards had to become more basic. Would £1 per month from each user (how many are there?) not cover the cost of maintaining the boards?

Thanks

Adam
Clariman and Stooz

If you need any volunteers to help with the new site I can donate a few hours per week.
No. of Recommendations: 23
1) How do TMF UK think a viable business remains when a large number of people on this thread have said that the boards are the only reason they come to this site? Is it possible to share at a high level what the strategy is for TMF UK going forwards? Presumably there must be some other plan to bring traffic to the site to replace those of us who will stop?

I'd be surprised if you get any response setting out the company's business strategy. However, I just don't understand why comments and queries in this vein keep popping up. Whilst I agree that the boards are a wonderful place and I will also miss the community very much, in what way do people think that the discussion boards contribute to TMF's business model to such an extent that it's now bound to fail? It's a free resource for us, and we don't contribute anything to TMF's finances. In fact, a number of people have freely acknowledged that they only come for the boards and don't bother to sign up for any of the subscription services, because they don't see any value in them. TMF has managed to survive despite the boards being a drain on its resources.

Also, I'm not sure that the board community is as large as people think it is, particularly when you just look at active/regular posters. Currently there are about 1,000 members on Lemonfool. Do people think that 1,000 (or even 10,000 for that matter) people having free discussions about anything and everything generates enough revenue to keep the business going? I'm obviously happy to be corrected, but isn't it possible that TMF already has an existing business strategy to "bring traffic to the site" and to make money and the boards don't feature much in that?

None of this is to say that I'm not terribly sad about this decision, but I just wouldn't want to inflate our importance in the grand scheme of things, or cast doubt on the company's viability just because a decision has been made that we don't like.
I joined TMF in January 2001, shortly after I had started to remove my pension funds from NPI and transfer them to a SIPP, and, although my posting here began to tail off by 2005 or so, TMF is the only website that I still look at regularly from that era. It gathered an astonishingly insightful and interesting bunch of investors to comment on investing and other subjects, and although many have departed elsewhere some still contribute in a way that I have long ceased to do.

It has not recently served to enrich me in the way that it did over a decade ago but I owe an enormous debt of gratitude to TMF over the years. I am sad that I shall not be able to start posting regularly again once my sons are off to University and I have a bit more time, but I shall try to make some contribution to lemonfool.com.

Looking back at some of the old posts I was amused to see FreakNomad commenting in 2003 that there would be a correction in the market as a result of the huge level of consumer debt and overpriced housing which would enable the cashed up buyer to snap up bargains. He was, of course, quite right but it took quite a few years to come about!

caselaw
Thanks for acknowledging the brilliance (or foolishness?) and usefulness of TMF Boards.

I note what you say about the old technology of the Boards but you say nothing about a "replacement". If that is the case, Motley Fool will become "dead as a dodo", IMHO.

LM
I disagree. Moderation is core to the success of the Fool boards. It has avoided the poor signal/noise ration on other sites and has nipped arguments (rather than discussions) in the bud. Spam/trolling is deleted quickly, and so on.

You bet it is. Probably most of us have had a post or two deleted but that's what mods do. If you don't want moderation then just spend some time on ADVFN where you really have to be persistent to dig through the pointless profanity and mindless one liners to get to the good stuff.

And then there's the spammers. TMF must be one of the fastest to delete spammers and their accounts.

GN
I have much to thank TMF for -

I am in a similar beneficial financial state for near identical reasons as Arb records.

I post very rarely as there are others faster off the mark than I. However it would be remiss to fail to give huge credit to the Motley Fool staff for continuing this site for as long as they have and to the superb detailed contributions provided by others.

I will follow to the next evolution/s and hope there is not too much dilution of talent.

oldbaker