UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Parapaul Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3839  
Subject: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 24/12/2003 00:13
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My mum has had some premium bonds for over 40 years.
Some of them have never won ..... or have they ?????

As most people, she has moved home a few times and like most people (it seems) she failed to always notify ns&i ..... so it is possible that a win has been posted to her but she has not received it or cashed it.

I have emailed ns&i for 2 reports:
1. A full list of all bonds on the HN (holders number)
2. A full list of all wins on the HN.

They replied with 2 reports:
1. A printout correctly listing ALL the bond numbers (including all those bought before HNs ever existed).
2. A printout listing the one win within the last 18 months BUT they claim that they are UNABLE to check/report any wins more than 18 months ago !!!!!! Wht not ?????

I have read that that there are over £22,000,000 of unclaimed winnings that ns&i are sitting on !
It appears to me that they are deliberately making it impossible for legitimate prize winners to claim their winnings.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN ACCESS A FULL LIST OF ALL UNCLAIMED BOND NUMBERS (not holder numbers) ??? This will surely be useful for others too ..... (even a large database of numbers can be easily and quickly filtered and searched on a home PC).
Print the post Back To Top
Author: supremetwo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 24/12/2003 00:40
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Entering the holder's number checks ALL the unclaimed bond numbers.

http://www.nsandi.com/press-room/press-releases/pr.jsp?yearCode=2003&issueNo=34

The full list is not available to the public in electronic form.

Author: gt94sss2 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 689 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 24/12/2003 01:29
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN ACCESS A FULL LIST OF ALL UNCLAIMED BOND NUMBERS

From the Terms and Conditions:

"The serial numbers of winning Bonds are published in the London Gazette" (ask your local reference library - they will have a copy)

The London Gazette also publish a supplement 3/4 times a year listing all unclaimed prizes (older than 18 months old etc)

Regards
Sunil

Author: Parapaul Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 690 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 24/12/2003 01:54
I have tried that ..... but ...
It does not report historical wins more than approx 18 months ago.

Nobody sends cheques without knowing who they are paying ! .... so ns&i know who they owe the money to and they must have records of this. Accounting law also dictates that they must retain all financial documents for a period of time (5 years or more?) .... With the ability of home PCs to process large volumes of data quickly and the availability of the internet, what is the problem ? .. why can't ns&i disclose the winning bond numbers of more than 18 months ago ?
Surely this information must be available somewhere for the public to check ? (especially those who bought bonds over 40 years ago and have never received a holders number ?!?! ... because they moved house, etc.

Author: Parapaul Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 691 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 24/12/2003 02:06
"The serial numbers of winning Bonds are published in the London Gazette" (ask your local reference library - they will have a copy)
The London Gazette also publish a supplement 3/4 times a year listing ALL UNCLAIMED PRIZES (older than 18 months old etc)

I have tried the Gazette on the web (incidentally this obscure publication has been going for over 100 years - in hard copy!) but there is no information about PBs ....
Must be a hell of a long list in the Gazette ... most of the unclaimed prizes are 2 digit values and there's about £23million of them ! ..... Surely ALL UNCLAIMED PRIZES cannot be listed ? ..... I don't relish checking 5,000 pages of serial numbers ! .... (and all this information must be painstakingly transcribed from the ns&i computers ... what a waste - simpler to transfer the data to a web-site .... although maybe that would allow people to claim their winnings too easily !

Author: Parapaul Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 692 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 24/12/2003 02:18
Recommendations: 1
Imagine this scenario ....

You win on the Premium Bonds.
The cheque is posted to you but you do not receive it (many possible reasons but let's just say that this time the postman lost it during his round - maybe it fell out of his bag and ended in a manhole where it decayed).

Ok, a couple of years later you decide to check if you have won using the ns&i website. You enter your holder number and search .... no result (because the win was more than 18 months ago). Obviously you do not make a claim because you believe that you have not won !
This is ridiculous ! ... there must be an easier way to check the necessary information without trying to find your bond serial number amongst the thousands allegedly reported in the last 45 years of the London Gazette ? ! ?

Author: gt94sss2 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 693 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 24/12/2003 03:22
Yes, the London Gazette has a very interesting history and is quite an "important" document with loads of official crown/government/business announcements though not many people have heard of it.

You will have to go a library(reference ones are best) and ask to see the Premium Bond supplement. As I previously said, it lists all prizes that are unclaimed for more than 18 months.

The latest version will do, as prizes not not claimed are printed in each issue and it is quite a thick booklet but easily searchable, everything is listed first in prize value and then bond number.

Its not unmanageable (i.e. the vast number of prizes are claimed within 18 months) and you are right, they are sadly not listed on a web site.

Regards
Sunil

Author: Parapaul Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 694 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 24/12/2003 04:06
Recommendations: 3
......and you are right, they are sadly not listed on a web site.

Hi Sunil
Thanks for the info.
Guess what ? .......... I have just found and downloaded a list of approx. 10,000 plus unclaimed premium bond prizes with a value of over £2,000,000. I found the list at:
www.moneydetectives.net
I realise that this is less than 10% of the unclaimed prizes but it all helps !
The serial numbers are listed on 9 pages - prize values of £100 to £25,000. I highlighted them and then copied and pasted to excel ... works a treat. Then I did a simple search for my mother's bond prefix numbers (not the whole numbers) ... simple !

Warning: the website does not allow you to copy using right button but you can use "ctrl <c>" instead.
Cheers
Parapaul

Author: Flure Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 695 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 24/12/2003 08:52
Could somebody check fedup's for him?

Might give him a Merry Christmas yet!

And the same to all Fellow Fools!

Author: fedup1000 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 696 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 24/12/2003 18:18
Regretably had already checked NS&I web site and no luck

Author: Flure Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 697 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 26/12/2003 16:37
Regretably had already checked NS&I web site and no luck

Fedup,

Season's greetings.

I hope that you enjoyed Christmas and I sincerely wish you a lucky New Year - but you've washed me out.

I'm done with this thread.

Author: fedup1000 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 698 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 06/01/2004 18:42
Here we are in January and yet again not one member of my family has won a bean
But lord knows how many people who bought bonds in Sept and Nov 2003 have won

It proves beyond doubt that Ernie is neither random nor does every bond have an equal chance

Author: supremetwo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 699 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 06/01/2004 18:55
Recommendations: 9
It proves beyond doubt that Ernie is neither random nor does every bond have an equal chance.

Bollocks.

Author: Gengulphus Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 700 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 06/01/2004 19:33
Recommendations: 7
Disclaimer: Any advertising links on words in this post will have been placed there by TMF after it was posted. I have no knowledge of whether or where they will appear, so please do not read any emphasis or approval by me into them. If you have any complaints about them, complain to TMF, not me.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Here we are in January and yet again not one member of my family has won a bean

For goodness sake!

From what you've said before, you and your family don't have enough PBs to have a very good chance of winning in any one month. The fact that you haven't won yet doesn't make a blind bit of difference to that: you still only have a low chance of winning in any given month. (And if it did make a difference, that would be clear evidence of non-randomness.)

You're clearly torturing yourself with your PBs. Stop doing so! Cash them in and put the proceeds in some investment that gives you more reliable returns.

You have also clearly failed to pick up the hints from several people that this discussion has run its course, or else you somehow think that one more draw going by without a win is enough of an event to make the discussion interesting again (if so, I'm afraid you're wrong). If you continue this way, you will lose your audience. And I mean that literally: people will put you on their "Ignored Fools" list - and they will not see anything you write.

By all means come back when you have significant news to report, such as that you've cashed in, that you've finally won a prize, or that you've gone another couple of years without winning. And obviously I have no right to prohibit you from reporting every month that you've failed to win yet again - but I have every right to stop listening. And I will stop listening to you if you do so. That's meant as fair warning, by the way, not a personal attack - and it isn't personal: I'll do the same thing to anyone who starts giving a month-by-month commentary on their PB wins or lack thereof.

Gengulphus

Author: scribbler101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 701 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 06/01/2004 19:54
Gengu,

Careful with the blood pressure.

I have decided that fedup100 cannot possibly be as big an idiot as he pretends, so he is obviously engaged in a blatant troll, seeing how many times he can extract responses to the same nonsensical allegation.

The "ignore" button sounds ideal.

Scribbler

Author: Flure Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 702 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 06/01/2004 20:52
I have decided that fedup100 cannot possibly be as big an idiot as he pretends, so he is obviously engaged in a blatant troll, seeing how many times he can extract responses to the same nonsensical allegation.

I won't.............

No, I won't..............

I've said that I'm finished with this eejit............

Ah but, feck it, your right Scribbs - he can't be as big an idiot as he pretends.

But I'm still not replying in this thread.

Oh, no.

Not me, Sir!

Author: Flure Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 703 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 06/01/2004 20:55
Ah but, feck it, your right Scribbs

<not replying mode> that, of course, should be you're right, Scribbs<not replying mode>

Author: GEDDIT Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 704 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 08/01/2004 09:32
Hi

Purchased 50k worth of PB in June 03,won 750 pounds in 50 pound lots,and I'd like to state...........I'm happy so there!

GEDDIT

Author: Flure Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 705 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 08/01/2004 10:08
Purchased 50k worth of PB in June 03

Sh*t!

I've replied again!

Author: TheWeeMan Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 706 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 08/01/2004 11:35
Recommendations: 3

I sold my last 5K of PBs in October 2003, and have found a significant drop in the amount of prizes I have won in the last month or so.

Its a fix I tells you, and my recent sale seem to produce a larger decrease in the prizes, compared to my previous sales of 5K in 2002 and 10K in 2000. At least when I sold those blocks I was still receiving some prizes!

I shall write to my MP.

Yours,

Disgruntled
Tunbridge Wells.

Author: curious4693 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 15/02/2004 01:27
I tend to agree. While I do not want to be responsible to continuing this particular thread, I would just like to make this simple observation.
I first bought PBs in 1976 and almost immediately won 50 pounds. Further purchases were also followed by almost immediate 50-pound wins.
I last acquired more PBs last year and, right on cue, I had another win.
Now, I am not a suspicious person, but doesn't it seem odd that every time I buy more PBs, I am immediately rewarded, as though it were an enticement to purchase more? The well, it seems, then runs dry for years.
I'm not casting aspersions, but.....!!!

Curious4693

Author: Flure Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 720 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 15/02/2004 17:10

But, what?

Author: scribbler101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 721 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 15/02/2004 19:26
I tend to agree. While I do not want to be responsible to continuing this particular thread, I would just like to make this simple observation.
I first bought PBs in 1976 and almost immediately won 50 pounds. Further purchases were also followed by almost immediate 50-pound wins.
I last acquired more PBs last year and, right on cue, I had another win.
Now, I am not a suspicious person, but doesn't it seem odd that every time I buy more PBs, I am immediately rewarded, as though it were an enticement to purchase more? The well, it seems, then runs dry for years.

Curious4693

Well you ARE responsible for its continuation.

The thing about coincidences is that they are very probable with a large population. It's like the woman convicted of child murder coz some idiot said her two dying was a 1 in 73 million chance. What no-one in the defence seems to have pointed out was that with a population approaching 100m, that makes it QUITE LIKELY to have happened; not proof of murder.

Nobody prosecutes the other 72,999,999, because their children did not die.

(in fact the 1in73m was wrong, but even if correct it would not be proof)

Anyway; we have an experiment here. Buy some more, and see if you win.

Scribbler

Author: AleisterCrowley Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 722 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 16/02/2004 15:40
Strangely enough EXACTLY the same has happened to me - Long lean periods then when I buy some more bonds a flurry of wins ,then back to nothing again. If I didn't know better I would conclude that I'm "waking up" my holding by buying new bonds... but we all know it's totally random. Strange how these patterns emerge though...

Author: PetraM Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 723 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 16/02/2004 15:46
but we all know it's totally random. Strange how these patterns emerge though...

What's "strange" is that, as human beings, we're so good at seeing patterns that we see them when they're not there.

This trait must have been a significant evolutionary advantage at one point...

PetraM

Author: AleisterCrowley Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 724 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 16/02/2004 16:14
Spotting tigers in dense undergrowth?? May be so well developed it starts to 'alias' and see things that aren't really there

Author: PetraM Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 725 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 16/02/2004 16:23
Spotting tigers in dense undergrowth??

Fruit in the trees I expect - spotting tigers is something we're pretty poor at as it happens.

May be so well developed it starts to 'alias' and see things that aren't really there

I strongly believe that to be the case. The belief in patterns that plainly aren't there is a very popular one - the sheer number of gamblers who believe they have a "system" is one symptom.

Lottery predictors and the occasional rant we get on here about ERNIE not being "random" are probably the ones most relevant to Fooldom - though I suppose if The Fool was hosted in the Far East, there'd be rather a lot of chat about when to buy one's premium bonds or lottery tickets in order to gain the best advantage from one's horoscope..

PetraM

Author: scribbler101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 726 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 16/02/2004 17:14
Spotting tigers in dense undergrowth??

Fruit in the trees I expect - spotting tigers is something we're pretty poor at as it happens.

May be so well developed it starts to 'alias' and see things that aren't really there

I strongly believe that to be the case. The belief in patterns that plainly aren't there is a very popular one - the sheer number of gamblers who believe they have a "system" is one symptom.

Lottery predictors and the occasional rant we get on here about ERNIE not being "random" are probably the ones most relevant to Fooldom - though I suppose if The Fool was hosted in the Far East, there'd be rather a lot of chat about when to buy one's premium bonds or lottery tickets in order to gain the best advantage from one's horoscope..

PetraM

Funny you should mention Far East lottery tickets. F-i-l died recently in Singapore, so lottery tickets bought with consequently auspicious numbers.

And the winner of ~ £2k treated us all to a very good lunch.

All nonsense - I suppose????

Scribbler

PS Confused about spotted tigers. Leopards surely have invariable spots?

Author: AleisterCrowley Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 727 of 3839
Subject: Re: Checking old winning numbers ?!?!? Date: 16/02/2004 17:33
I only have experience of the 'Long Mynd Beast' which is like a large leopard, commonly seen after a night on the Wood's Bitter.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread