UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: shingwell One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 78910  
Subject: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush cleaner? Date: 14/02/2006 17:22
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi, Just wondering if anybody knows of anything cheaper to use to clean Hammerite metal paint off brushes than their proprietary brush cleaner? It's so expensive it's touch and go whether it's worth cleaning the brushes or just buying new ones!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BobHellen Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35912 of 78910
Subject: Re: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush clean Date: 14/02/2006 17:28
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Not absolutely certain on this but I think I've used cellulose thinners in the past and it worked - try a motoring shop.

Author: jnmykn Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35913 of 78910
Subject: Re: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush clean Date: 14/02/2006 17:39
Hello Shingwell

I think the sovent is Xylene (might have spelt it wrong). International used do a series of solvents called number 1, 2, 3, etc one of them is Xylene or something similar, seem to remember its No 8 but could be wrong about that. Its a while since I bought any, was cheaper than Hammerite cleaner but still not cheap.

Personally I never use the sovent method now, just clean as much off after using the brush with a cloth, and then dip it in a small drop of paint remover like Nitromoors.

Hope that helped and best wishes - John

Author: gelathae Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35914 of 78910
Subject: Re: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush clean Date: 14/02/2006 17:47
Recommendations: 3
By far the cheapest solution is to discard the brush after use. Hammerite works well with cheap brushes. Solvents are expensive.

Author: IsleofWightPete Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35915 of 78910
Subject: Re: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush clean Date: 14/02/2006 17:48
Hi, Just wondering if anybody knows of anything cheaper to use to clean Hammerite metal paint off brushes than their proprietary brush cleaner? It's so expensive it's touch and go whether it's worth cleaning the brushes or just buying new ones!

Two tips:

Between coats (which have to be done within a couple of hours or so of each other) wrap the brush tightly in clingfilm. It will remain quite workable for the second coat without needing any cleaning. Any slight stiffness goes immediately you start painting again.

After use, put some Hammerite thinners in a small jar with a tightly fitting screw top lid. Clean the brush out in the jar and reseal. The thinners will keep indefinitely and can be re-used several times before they get too thick with paint and need to be disposed of.

The thinners are expensive, I agree, but this way you reduce the cost by at least two-thirds.

Oh, and in case you are tempted to use cheap brushes on a one-use basis, DON'T!!!!!!!!!
Hammerite paint has a lot more "pull" than most paints, and will pull the bristles clean out of a cheap brush, and you will spend most of the time trying to pick them off whatever you have been painting! I think it is worth while using a quality brush (perhaps one that has been well worked-in on emulsion or gloss) and then cleaning afterwards.

Author: gelathae Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35916 of 78910
Subject: Re: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush clean Date: 14/02/2006 19:34
I have to disagree with Isle of White Pete regarding the use of cheap brushes. I have been using Hammerite for at least 25 years in the restoration of old cars ( it makes great chassis and wheel arch paint) and have had no problem with using cheap brushes. You should only get drag if oldish Hammerite is used and it does thin down nicely with Hammerite thinners.

Hammerite dries very quickly and did not think the cling film trick would work but I shall give it a go. If it works that is a great tip.

Author: shingwell One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35921 of 78910
Subject: Re: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush clean Date: 15/02/2006 08:52
Thanks all for your time. I am using the cling film-between-coats trick (in fact the brush can go several days this way) as well as re-using the cleaning fluid, but it's still extortionately expensive!

I have been using a medium-quality brush which has been used with gloss before and I have had a few loose bristles, but nothing too bad. I did have a problem with "drag" to start with, but I think that was due to it being too cold - the tin says (I noticed afterwards!) above 8C.

Author: dorn1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35932 of 78910
Subject: Re: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush clean Date: 15/02/2006 10:29
I've found cling film works well, but you'll need several layers as its porus to many of these solvents. Aluminium foil also works well to seal a brush between coats. When using this method, don't work too much paint out of the brush; more paint = more solvent, so the little bit that evaporates will make a less significant difference to the paint that's left.

HTH

Chris

Author: mikehodgson Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35934 of 78910
Subject: Re: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush clean Date: 15/02/2006 12:39
Another solvent that works is 'Solarlac' thinners which are used for thinning fuel-proof paints on model aircraft. Don't know if it is any cheaper though (about £5-6 for 0.5litres)

Author: martint123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35942 of 78910
Subject: Re: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush clean Date: 15/02/2006 13:27
Recommendations: 1
I've just had a look in the garage. Hammerite thinners contain Xylene (plus other 'magic' ingredients). Finishing cellulose thinners contain Tolulene and 'panel wipe' contains Xylene.

The cellulose thinners removes paint but doesn't seem to touch tacky hammerite. The panel wipe seems to thin hammerite and disolve almost anything except cellulose paint.
Cellulose thinners about £15 for 5 litres, panel wipe ISTR was £12 for 5 litres "trade use only" but local autobody supplier didn't quibble.

Martin

Author: wilbobob Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35957 of 78910
Subject: Re: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush clean Date: 15/02/2006 20:04
Don't forget to read the warnings on the Xylene container. It's extremely volatile, so easy to get lungfulls of the stuff.
I had remembered that it was carcinogenic, and after starting to write this had a quick google to confirm. Looks like it's not, but still not nice. Do take a look at data for yourself.

Author: gamilaa Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71238 of 78910
Subject: Re: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush clean Date: 13/07/2012 17:37
Recommendations: 2
Two Stroke Petrol
Works perfectly - don't know why but it's better than petrol alone

Author: ColinTownsend Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71240 of 78910
Subject: Re: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush clean Date: 14/07/2012 11:32
gamilaa:

Two Stroke Petrol
Works perfectly - don't know why but it's better than petrol alone

Hello gamillaa . . . interesting post. Sadly it is the best part of 40 years since I had any dealings with anything that ran on two stroke fuel. Your idea is a good one though not quite so convenient if you haven't got a tank of two stoke handy.

If you would like to know why it works I would say it is because the two stroke oil will contain plenty of cyclic compounds ( like xylene for example ) which will make it a good solvent for the alkyd paint.

I have just been outside to look at my ( very expensive ) tin of 'official' Hammerite thinners and brush cleaner to see what it said on there about the composition and not only did it not tell me anything useful I found the part used tin completely empty - evaporated right through the closed lid!! :o( Don't think there was much left in it, truth be told.

Now, who do I know who buys two stroke . . . .

Colin

Author: itsallaguess Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71241 of 78910
Subject: Re: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush clean Date: 14/07/2012 16:47
Sadly it is the best part of 40 years since I had any dealings with anything that ran on two stroke fuel.

Well it was the best part of 6 years ago that he wanted his flippin' brush cleaned, truth be told....

Itsallaguess

Author: flemingston Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72396 of 78910
Subject: Re: Cheaper alternative to Hammerite brush clean Date: 06/11/2012 14:42
Recommendations: 1
The two stroke fuel was an excellent idea and I have found it works better than the original thinners. After all, I would imagine no one thins Hammerite paint and the stuff is only used in the way I use it, for cleaning brushes. I don't use this paint very often and have just run out of thinners. The cost of Hammerite thinners is just a joke now. I won't be using it again. I do have a can of petrol mixed 20 to 1 with two stroke oil for the lawn mower though. I tried this solution and the brush was cleaned instantly. Great!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread