UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Burnoutbabe Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 390461  
Subject: can you reuse an unfranked stamp Date: 18/11/2009 20:54
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
got a package today and it doesn't have ANY franking on. it does have a 90p stamp on, but nothing else, no ink that i can see at all.

so could their be hidden markings on it? or am i good to reuse this stamp?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JayHoe Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298385 of 390461
Subject: Re: can you reuse an unfranked stamp Date: 18/11/2009 21:09
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
You used to be able to get away with it even though you shouldn't. Nowadays, Stamps usually have small cut-outs that don't come off when you remove the stamp, so leaving the stamp with a hole signifying it has been restuck and re used.

Author: martint123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298386 of 390461
Subject: Re: can you reuse an unfranked stamp Date: 18/11/2009 21:12
Hidden sticky bits?

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/104037

Author: Burnoutbabe Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298387 of 390461
Subject: Re: can you reuse an unfranked stamp Date: 18/11/2009 21:12
i was thinking of just using the jiffy bag again and changing the address. so the stamp would remain in the proper place.

Author: LoroDue Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298389 of 390461
Subject: Re: can you reuse an unfranked stamp Date: 18/11/2009 21:28
Recommendations: 2
In answer to your question, the Express article that Martin linked to says "It is illegal to re-use a stamp in the UK.".

However, the question arises, in your case: have the stamps been used, if they are not franked? One could, for instance, imagine a case where someone stamps a letter and then delivers it by hand. If this were the case, you wouldn't be re-using them.

LoroDue

Author: MikeGG1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298404 of 390461
Subject: Re: can you reuse an unfranked stamp Date: 19/11/2009 02:55
I would re-use the envelope if they can't be bothered to frank the stamp!

Mike

Author: IsleofWightPete Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298410 of 390461
Subject: Re: can you reuse an unfranked stamp Date: 19/11/2009 08:18
Recommendations: 9
got a package today and it doesn't have ANY franking on. it does have a 90p stamp on, but nothing else, no ink that i can see at all.

so could their be hidden markings on it? or am i good to reuse this stamp?

In effect a stamp is a receipt to prove you have paid for 90p worth of postage in advance. Once that postage has been used, the stamp is usually franked to minimise fraud by preventing reuse.

The fact it hasn't been franked doesn't alter the basic facts: YOU haven't paid the 90p and so haven't bought the right to 90p's worth of postage. If you re-use the stamp, you are pretending you HAVE paid the money, and you will be misrepresenting the facts, and effectively perpretrating a fraud.

It isn't the question of franked / unfranked that makes the difference, it is a question of whether the payer has received the postal services that they paid for or not. In your case, the original sender has received the 90p of postage they paid for, and the stamp is now no longer valid for further use.

If, however, the question is "Can I get a way with reusing a stamp fraudulently" the answer is almost certainly "Yes"

Author: Swill453 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298411 of 390461
Subject: Re: can you reuse an unfranked stamp Date: 19/11/2009 08:25
Recommendations: 2
If, however, the question is "Can I get a way with reusing a stamp fraudulently" the answer is almost certainly "Yes"

This is DAK. Asked. Answered. Job done.

:-)

Scott.

Author: Pheidippides Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298420 of 390461
Subject: Re: can you reuse an unfranked stamp Date: 19/11/2009 09:37
Recommendations: 1
This post should NOT be "closed"

Whilst the stamp may be unfranked the envelope has almost certainly got phosporescent dots on it as a legacy of its journey through the postal system.

Trying to decipher someones handwriting into a recognizeable postcode is the most technologically "difficult" part of the postal system.

When letters and parcels enter the postal system they are scanned by machines and a series of machine-readable phosphor dots are placed onto the envelope to make it easy to machine-read from then on.

If I was writing the code then any "reused" envelope would be referred to a manual operator to verify that the stamp isn't being used in exactly the way the OP wants.

Given the efficiencies of the Post Office I think that it is possible that the attempted fraud may well slip through the net - that said I think that "almost certainly" is too definitive a statement.

Regards

Pheid

Author: spudulica Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298423 of 390461
Subject: Re: can you reuse an unfranked stamp Date: 19/11/2009 10:12
As an aside, I read the Daily Express link, and came across this bit:-

"Organised criminals advertise job-lots of used stamps on internet sites at knock down prices, selling them as brand new."

I'm constantly amazed at the stupidity of journalists (actually, I'm not amazed). But when they write such garbage as that, one questions the validity of everything else in the article.

One tries very hard to imagine organised fraudulent stamp sydicates with modern day Fagins quietly steaming off stamps and presumably funding terrorism....

I reckon that only one letter/parcel in 50 these days that comes through my door with an actual stamp on it. The rest have franking stickers.

Author: easydriver Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298443 of 390461
Subject: Re: can you reuse an unfranked stamp Date: 19/11/2009 16:22
One tries very hard to imagine organised fraudulent stamp sydicates with modern day Fagins quietly steaming off stamps and presumably funding terrorism....

Not quite. But there is some truth in it.

There is a market for 'kiloware' where dealers (some of whom may be criminal, some not) sell job lots of 'used' stamps by weight. They are still stuck on paper - it's the buyer that sorts through, finds the unused ones, and reuses them. The advertising sort of suggests you do that.

That's generally where your 'collect stamps for charity' offerings land up.

Author: Mattabooboo Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298447 of 390461
Subject: Re: can you reuse an unfranked stamp Date: 19/11/2009 17:07
When letters and parcels enter the postal system they are scanned by machines and a series of machine-readable phosphor dots are placed onto the envelope to make it easy to machine-read from then on.

That's an interesting point. I frequently re-use Jiffy bags, for example, sticking a new label over the old address, and another over the old stamp before attaching a new stamp. But presumably the phosphor dots from the original posting are still there ... is that then likely to cause a delay ?

Author: TMFBoing Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298449 of 390461
Subject: Re: can you reuse an unfranked stamp Date: 19/11/2009 17:17
I frequently re-use Jiffy bags, for example, sticking a new label over the old address, and another over the old stamp before attaching a new stamp. But presumably the phosphor dots from the original posting are still there ... is that then likely to cause a delay ?

I reuse them all the time, and have never knowingly had any delays (Lots of times I've used them for sending things I've sold on eBay, and I know they arrived quickly).

Alan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread