UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Gengulphus Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55103  
Subject: Re: Rentokil resumes payouts-- modestly Date: 02/03/2012 14:04
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
As I said on the RTO board:-

As an aside, if the xd date is Thursday 10th May, the record date is presumably Monday 14th May (the usual 2 working days after the xd date), and payment is scheduled for the day after - on Tuesday 15th May. That seems jolly efficient to me - why can't all companies be this good?

The announcement says that the dividend will be paid to shareholders "on the register" on May 10th - that's a description of the record date, not the xd date. So it would imply that the xd date is two days earlier, on May 8th.

It's not very believable, though, because xd dates are just about always arranged to be Wednesdays - the only common exception is when the Wednesday is a bank holiday, which only occurs for the Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year bank holidays.

So, suspecting an error, I checked the company's RNS announcements and found that they'd corrected the error - see http://www.investegate.co.uk/Article.aspx?id=201203021137205... . The record date is in fact Tuesday 10th April; due to the Good Friday and Easter Monday bank holidays, the ex-dividend date two working days earlier is Wednesday 4th April. So I'm afraid they haven't become "jolly efficient" after all...

Gengulphus
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

FAQ for High Yield - HYP Practical
The Purpose of This Board.
Free Investing Reports
Download these free Motley Fool reports today.
The HYP FAQ
Got a question about the HYP? Please see if it's answered here before asking on the board.
Podcast - The High Yield Portfolio
Listen to Stephen Bland explain the principles behind the High Yield Portfolio strategy.
Introduction to HYP

The HYP article archives:
2006 to 2008
Pre-2006